Mommy Rules 2015-04-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
scantrontb

Re: Mommy Rules 2015-04-07

Post by scantrontb »

GlytchMeister wrote:Ahhh, the dreaded paddle. Had holes in it, so it would sting more. Gained a +50 in Fear when wielded by a tiny woman with a big "mean momma's voice." Once wielded by BJ the Grand, mother of mothers. Said to have whistled mid-swing during great battles.
that would be bad, i agree, in my house though it was a bit different... after my two older brothers outgrew getting spanked by hand, dad moved up to the leather belt... after they outgrew THAT, that's when he upgraded to the dreaded "switch"... only this being the last part of the 20th century (the 70's and 80's), he went high-tech... a fiberglass fishing rod, same size and shape, but MUCH sturdier... by the time i was around to notice things like that, they turned 18 and one joined the Air Force as an MP, and the other in the Marine Corps. respectively... from all I've heard, they had NO problems there and were considered "model soldiers"... :D
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

In a part of my cultural heritage it is well known that if a switch is to be administered, the added insult to injury was that you had to go harvest your own switch off of the tree. And woe be the one that skimped on switches.

Pops was old school and from Chicago- he used his hand. Moms otoh, never really hit us hardly, except one or twice, and at that point it was with what ever was at hand. (I still recall my brother being administered to with a section of hot wheel track...).
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

Adults, in spite of the fact they were that age once themselves, can indeed be clueless, but teenagers sometimes need elder gods called down on them to get them to pay attention. For actual adults, the statement of: "Pay no attention to what other say," is a summery of decades of suffering and experience acquired without remembering the decades of struggle that got them to that summery. To a teenager it's the same as: "I have nothing in common with you so I'll say something flippant to get you to shut up." Perversely, they are both correct.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Ok, no one else seems to have asked for clarification about this, so it might just be me that hasn't heard it before, but

"ground you until you're blue"

:?:

I'm missing the background of that saying :p

yes, I could google that saying to find out, but where is the fun in that :)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Grantwhy wrote:Ok, no one else seems to have asked for clarification about this, so it might just be me that hasn't heard it before, but

"ground you until you're blue"

:?:

I'm missing the background of that saying :p

yes, I could google that saying to find out, but where is the fun in that :)
Perhaps equivalent to "until the twelfth of never"?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

starkruzr wrote:"Just remember, you have an aunt who can flatten a school." <3
"And if you #### me off any more, I'll make sure YOU are IN IT at the time."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I dunnno, re: "until your blue"; I think it's like 'hold your breath until your blue"... type thing.

And, apropos of almost nothing at all; Atsali is a slight blue herself already, I mean shes pale but not Albino...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:In a part of my cultural heritage it is well known that if a switch is to be administered, the added insult to injury was that you had to go harvest your own switch off of the tree. And woe be the one that skimped on switches.
See, if I had that when I was a kid, I'd pick out a log too big to swing.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

TazManiac wrote:I dunnno, re: "until your blue"; I think it's like 'hold your breath until your blue"... type thing.

And, apropos of almost nothing at all; Atsali is a slight blue herself already, I mean shes pale but not Albino...
Maybe when sirens age their feathers tun blue like a humans hair turns gray. :roll:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

re: Blue

what I was trying to say, poorly, was that Atsali seems to be slightly tinted Blue anyway.
But I also think that the 'holding your breath' thing is maybe a part of it too.
JCfromNC

Post by JCfromNC »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
WordNet Search wrote:Ninkhursag: the great mother goddess; worshipped also as Aruru and Mama and Nintu
Also Roger Ramius Chang McClintock's squeeze.
Actually, her name is Nimashet. Nimashet Despreaux.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

JCfromNC wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Also Roger Ramius Chang McClintock's squeeze.
Actually, her name is Nimashet. Nimashet Despreaux.
Oh Geeze.

(Pust paper bag over head.)

"Oh, the shame. I got a fact wrong about my very own brother's books."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

TazManiac wrote:re: Blue

what I was trying to say, poorly, was that Atsali seems to be slightly tinted Blue anyway.
But I also think that the 'holding your breath' thing is maybe a part of it too.
hmmm .... Wasn't Katherine was in the Air Force for some time? Maybe "Ground you until you are blue" comes from there?

I might give it a few days then give in and ask google what it thinks :p

hehe - anyone got an iPhone? What does Siri think it means :lol:
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

8-)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

it come from the same source as talk till your blue in the face. it means till your out of air and pass out. lest that makes sense to me. yea talk till your blue was used in the USAF at lot. usally in referqance to officers and diplomats.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

GlytchMeister wrote:
TazManiac wrote:In a part of my cultural heritage it is well known that if a switch is to be administered, the added insult to injury was that you had to go harvest your own switch off of the tree. And woe be the one that skimped on switches.
See, if I had that when I was a kid, I'd pick out a log too big to swing.
then you'd be getting ANOTHER walloping for trying to pull off that type of cheat, in addition to the one you had to get the switch for in the first place... especially if they have to go get one themselves because you keep getting unsuitable switch material...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Kath has simply mixed her metaphors in her haste to chastise Atsali. Occam's Razor, people.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Something just occurred to me today (Friday... I just got home from working some overtime...)

Atsali is so upset, she didn't sensor herself, and let a swear word out! :o
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I wonder how many people went back and checked.

Kinda like how those chain emails skip a number, then tell you you didn't notice, then say you went back up and checked if it really did skip a number.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!