Play Pac Man on the streets of your home town .. or London

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Play Pac Man on the streets of your home town .. or London

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Quoting from Gizmo's Freeware:

We are, as you probably are aware, in the midst of the April Fools period, where tech companies often like to impress us with foolish pranks and neat software tricks. And this year, Google has added a neat new feature to Google Maps. Not only can you summon up a satellite view of whatever map you're currently looking at, but you can also turn that map into a playable Pacman game. The screen shot below shows the streets of Lisbon, in case you're wondering.

Head to http://maps.google.com and choose your location, then hit the Pacman icon to play. It's as simple as that. Although we don't expect the game to stay around for long.
(The link i give in the first line is to the GF front page)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
MerchManDan

Re: Play Pac Man on the streets of your home town .. or Lond

Post by MerchManDan »

Best thing ever. :lol:

Here's part of my neighborhood; Pacman is almost in front of my apartment building.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Tried it in four browsers, no pacman icon.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

DinkyInky wrote:Tried it in four browsers, no pacman icon.
Are you in the "New" Google Maps, or the Classic version? It only shows up on the New Google Maps, and only once you reach a certain zoom level. It shows up on the bottom left.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I got it on my Google maps...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Are you in the "New" Google Maps, or the Classic version? It only shows up on the New Google Maps, and only once you reach a certain zoom level. It shows up on the bottom left.
Whatever version comes with the new machines and tablets. I set it to auto update, so I assume current versions.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

DinkyInky wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Whatever version comes with the new machines and tablets. I set it to auto update, so I assume current versions.
Actually, you have to choose to use the New Google Maps. Once you do, it's always the new one, unless you select to return to Classic Google Maps...

So unless you have, at one point in time, selected to try out the New Google Maps, you are still using the Classic version.

Do you have a sidebar, on the left, for directions and stuff, which also invites you to try the New Google Maps, as well as a top bar with the search box, and some settings option (Google Maps Classic), or is the map taking up the whole screen, with only a small search box towards the top left to look for a place (New Google Maps)?
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Are you in the "New" Google Maps, or the Classic version? It only shows up on the New Google Maps, and only once you reach a certain zoom level. It shows up on the bottom left.
Actually, you have to choose to use the New Google Maps. Once you do, it's always the new one, unless you select to return to Classic Google Maps...

So unless you have, at one point in time, selected to try out the New Google Maps, you are still using the Classic version.

Do you have a sidebar, on the left, for directions and stuff, which also invites you to try the New Google Maps, as well as a top bar with the search box, and some settings option (Google Maps Classic), or is the map taking up the whole screen, with only a small search box towards the top left to look for a place (New Google Maps)?
Full screen. I dislike it, but cannot default to classic, much like all of the silly new options Google launches. I'm hating the new inbox with all of my hate, and stuck with it because Google. My tablet uses new as default, and I guess Google thinks I like it, as all of mine are like it now, but no wakka wakka.

--Safyr Drathmir
Leak

Post by Leak »

DinkyInky wrote:My tablet uses new as default, and I guess Google thinks I like it, as all of mine are like it now, but no wakka wakka.
Can't get it to work on my smartphone either, neither in the standard Android browser nor in Firefox - I guess it'll only show up on a desktop PC since you need a keyboard to play...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It appears to only be available on the PC, not on the mobile app.

Shame, really.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

It didn't work with my tablet keyboard, nor my laptop. It's just Murphy chasing me because I've been avoiding his legal interactions...

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DinkyInky wrote:It didn't work with my tablet keyboard, nor my laptop. It's just Murphy chasing me because I've been avoiding his legal interactions...
It works with my Asus tablet/keyboard combo...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

It's weird how stuff works like going off the right will loop you around to the top on this map. :?:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

I forget exactly how I did it, but during one game I was in a city I didn't recognize. When it was done, I zoomed out & discovered I was in the middle of Cairo, Egypt. :lol:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)