Still Not Asking For It 2015-03-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Still Not Asking For It 2015-03-27

Post by shadowinthelight »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/still-not-asking-for-it/

Sounds like that mom may have been jealous.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Thor

Re: Still Not Asking For It 2015-03-27

Post by Thor »

Typo in panel 2. Should be "too suggestive" not "to suggestive".
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I want to to a "Daww!" for Atsali, but really I can't. Intellectually I know this is a "daww" moment, but it just doesn't work for some reason.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Also there is a "t" missing, the "buts" should be "butts" hanging out.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Magical Hairstyle changes from panel one to panels two and three. the cross-hatching depicting the braids is missing from panel one, and they're shorter too..
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

scantrontb wrote:Magical Hairstyle changes from panel one to panels two and three. the cross-hatching depicting the braids is missing from panel one, and they're shorter too..
Different - but i still don't like 'em.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

looks good to me and its all better than i could even think of drawing
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Have we seen the scene Atsali is describing?

Hot teens in skimpy bikinis next to Atsali practically in scuba gear
but without the tanks and mask?

Was that a Paranormal Pool Party?
(Pickle is still learning to look human in public.)

I would have thought THEY would be more tolerant of appearances.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

jayessell wrote:Have we seen the scene Atsali is describing?

Hot teens in skimpy bikinis next to Atsali practically in scuba gear
but without the tanks and mask?

Was that a Paranormal Pool Party?
(Pickle is still learning to look human in public.)

I would have thought THEY would be more tolerant of appearances.
More likely a case of sour grapes backed up with the line of thinking thats just a siren. everyone knows they only are interested in one thing and decent folk should not have to be exposed to such. Very similar to the way of thinking that prevales here in the deep south about religion. either a member of the local church or a godless heathen doomed to hell and they will be happy to arrange judgement for you.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Yes that was unfair. The life guard should have referred the lady up channel for a decision. Hopefully the pool would have told the lady no.

But that lady sounds like the type who will makes things so loud and unpleasant just to get her way. The type who feels their belief is totally correct and takes steps to shove that belief onto everyone else. I've dealt with those types and it is a waste of time to use logic because they have none.

The problem is that Sali does not know how to deal with them. Next time she goes to that pool she needs to take Kathy along. Let that mom try and make her point to Kathy and then step back out of the line of fire.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

This would have been a much stronger strip had her anecdote been drawn, thereby making it more of a third person rendition of the events and not simply her interpretation of others. That is the basic problem with how this whole recent topic is being depicted. Atsali is making as many assumptions about others as they may be doing about her.

The flaw in what Paul is trying to get at is he is using the one character that is the most exception to the norm.

It does not matter how Atsali is dressed, the circumstances, or event the other characters involved. She has been made (drawn) that way. She sits at the extreme edge of the physical range in the Wapsi-verse. Yes, the message is that it is wrong to assume something about others based wholly on physical appearance - however the wrong messenger is being used.

Do not be surprised when you put up something that looks like an extreme version of X that the majority of people will think that it is X.

The fault lies with Atsali thinking and assuming that people will and should know she is a Y and not an X automatically. It is up to her to prove the exception because she is already one herself.
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

Personally, I think Aunt Jin needs to watch her Potty-Mouth around teenagers... Role-Model?
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
captnq

Post by captnq »

Unfortunately, Jin is giving the wrong message.

"We used to live in a world where you'd be lucky to meet a thousand people in your lifetime. You'd maybe get to know a hundred of them. Now you can meet a hundred people a day. People don't have time to get to know you. ALL of us use stereotypes and assumptions. Some of us know that stereotypes are just guidelines. A lot don't. Some of us got lucky and know it. Others are slaves to their misconceptions."

"Stereotypes exist for a reason. They happen and sometimes are helpful in making snap decisions. Past that, they are useless. You have to accept they exist and realize how people will act, not that people are wrong for acting a certain way. You are getting hung up on the morality of the situation. You are who you are. You will develop stereotypes of others based on your experience as well. That woman has her own issues. Let me assure you, some day, you'll meet someone like her and you will treat that person like she's a bitch without ever getting to know her, because of that very experience."

"Life isn't fair. We all are stumbling around in a world that is imperfect. Instead of focusing on how much it sucks, focus on how life is unfair to your advantage. Remember, if life was fair, then all the bad things that happened to you would be YOUR FAULT. In an unfair world, you aren't to blame. Bad things happen to good people, good things happen to bad people. That's a okay. No matter how bad things get, no matter how much you might deserve to suffer, you never know when things might suddenly turn your way, even when you have not earned it."

"That's called 'Hope'."
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Twitter holds no power here, but this popped up this morning and it seemed apropos:

Peter Fries @Peter_Fries
Objectively, this is the single greatest comic book panel ever (H/T @GailSimone): pic.twitter.com/pqGlJWiUTD
CBDYb96U0AAt4uA.jpg
CBDYb96U0AAt4uA.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 9202 times
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
scantrontb wrote:Magical Hairstyle changes from panel one to panels two and three. the cross-hatching depicting the braids is missing from panel one, and they're shorter too..
Different - but i still don't like 'em.
AAaaand the Honey Badger still doesn't care. He is completley out of F**ks to give. . . .LOL
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I don't know about worse, but it could have been different at the pool. Think on what happened when her school's Queen Bee found out who Atsali's aunt was. Or even Cricket's reaction! If it was a Paranormal Swim Day, and the folk realized who the Gilchrist Girls (new show this fall?) were, all that sucking up would have drained the joint in no time flat.

Right now it's not that certain readers complain about Atsali coming off as a "Fetish" character, it's Atsali worried about coming off as a "fetish" character. Kind of Marvel Mutant style. A kid hits puberty and in several cases, WHAM!, looks like a walking junk pile than can use their big toe as a universal remote or something. To use "Wild Cards" terminology, she drew an Ace instead of a Joker. (Bird Mode notwithstanding) The "Beautiful Human" halves of both parents took precedence, and not a combo of Demon/Large sentient predator bird. Try going to the pool like that.
Thor

Re: Still Not Asking For Sh*t 2015-03-27

Post by Thor »

Radical_Knight wrote:Personally, I think Aunt Jin needs to watch her Potty-Mouth around teenagers... Role-Model?
QuizzicalDog.jpg

As far as I can tell, the only one who seems to give a shit about whether Atsali swears is Atsali, and she restrains herself far more consistently than any teenager I have ever met, ever.
Yamara

Re: Still Not Asking For Sh*t 2015-03-27

Post by Yamara »

Thor wrote:As far as I can tell, the only one who seems to give a shit about whether Atsali swears is Atsali, and she restrains herself far more consistently than any teenager I have ever met, ever.
Considering the literal meaning of most of those words, and Atsali's power of Do What My Lyrics Command, I'd say that's her being consistent.

Since Tartarus is real, even phrases like "damn it" and "go to hell" are not innocuous if she were to sing them.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yamara wrote:Twitter holds no power here, but this popped up this morning and it seemed apropos:

Aaaaand she's holding a Fish in her hand....

There is sooooo much fun to be had with the earliest Wonder Woman comic strips; the author/originator of WW was a very twisted dude.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

zachariah wrote:Yes that was unfair. The life guard should have referred the lady up channel for a decision. Hopefully the pool would have told the lady no.

But that lady sounds like the type who will makes things so loud and unpleasant just to get her way. The type who feels their belief is totally correct and takes steps to shove that belief onto everyone else. I've dealt with those types and it is a waste of time to use logic because they have none.

The problem is that Sali does not know how to deal with them. Next time she goes to that pool she needs to take Kathy along. Let that mom try and make her point to Kathy and then step back out of the line of fire.
Or Aunt Monica or Aunt Shelly.

If it were a paranormal pool, they'd likely be recognized and might volunteer to help that lady pull her head out of her arse.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."