Q: When did Monica learn to teleport? (poit)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Aed

Q: When did Monica learn to teleport? (poit)

Post by Aed »

Not a trivia question, but when did Monica learn to teleport or poit?

While reading through the archives looking for the answers to trivia questions, and looking for new trivia questions, I noticed that Monica witnessed Tepoz and the Golem Girls use their teleport or poit ability, but Monica did not teleport anything or anyone herself until after Brandy took her to the library. The first time that I recall seeing Monica teleport anything was poiting herself when she returned to the library after a book she borrowed was "dusted" by a curious Shelly.

Has Paul ever shown, via the comic or by any other means, when and how Monica learned to teleport? Is so, does anyone have a link?
shadowinthelight

Re: Q: When did Monica learn to teleport? (poit)

Post by shadowinthelight »

Unless it was addressed outside of the comic (I think I only started reading in 2011 so maybe something was said early on that I missed), we have not been told the exact point at which Monica began to poit. According to the timeline on Wikia, her first known poit was probably when she sneezed her bra off even though we didn't see the sound effect. I know Paul likes to leave some events off screen just as we can't witness everything that happens in real life, but this has always been a noticeable omission. I hope we get a flashback sequence one day that explains how we got to see her take it so in stride later.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

She apparently figured out how to poit after receiving the book from Phix. It's not been confirmed by Pablo, but apparently if you have a library card, you get access to a portal.

The easiest way to explain it, though, is that Monica heard Brandi say something in Lanthian Glyph - which was a "spell" to "send me to this place I know."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

She has always had the ability to teleport.

We know this from a collection of events and disclosures in the strip over many years and the answer is more cumbersome because the basic question makes the assumption that in Monica's case her teleportation is an acquired ability vs. an innate ability of her being the Jaguar Girl and because Paul has never confirmed some key points surrounding her use of the Poit ability we must use deduction to reach the simplest answer that covers the most expressions of the character's teleportation to date.

The only way she can be the Jaguar Girl is if she has always been the Jaguar Girl and the teleportation ability is a basic attribute of that supernatural entity thus she has always had the ability to teleport just to differing degrees of expression. The more events, such as the bus, sneezing her bra off, witnessing Poits of others, Bud taking her to the Library, using Library portals, using her doorway mode, using her Poits in ever increasing refinement, getting locked in doorway mode with the head key, and getting metamorphosed by the Library all show that she has been able to use the Poit to various degree well before she could have "learned" it on her own or was told by others.

The simplest answer is that she did not learn it - it was always there.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Nimrod wrote:The simplest answer is that she did not learn it - it was always there.
What you mean is that she was always capable of it.

Which doesn't imply that she was aware she was capable of it, or that she knew how to do it.

Lots of people are capable of dancing, and are aware of it, but have never learned how to dance.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Yet that does not prevent them from "dancing".

I get your point but that holds for any basic physical ability. The question is like asking when does someone learn to talk?
There is no fixed point in time but rather a slowing improving scale of comprehension but the user and others.

As with the poit point to then poit to a point proves the poiting pro thus provided proof of poiting practice per poiting providence.

Answer Holds: She always could Poit.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Nimrod wrote:As with the poit point to then poit to a point proves the poiting pro thus provided proof of poiting practice per poiting providence.

Well, when you poit it that way... :P
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Nimrod wrote:Yet that does not prevent them from "dancing".

I get your point but that holds for any basic physical ability. The question is like asking when does someone learn to talk?
There is no fixed point in time but rather a slowing improving scale of comprehension but the user and others.

As with the poit point to then poit to a point proves the poiting pro thus provided proof of poiting practice per poiting providence.

That would be a reason why she had to be the one, why she was the only one that could end the cycle even though so many others were replaceable in the loops.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.