Not Gonna Bite 2015-01-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Thor

Re: Not Gonna Bite 2015-01-15

Post by Thor »

So did we ever figure out if her wings pass through her shirts or tear through them? Or does she have a special flap in the back of her shirts, like the flap in the front of mens' underwear?

And where do they go when they are not out?

And how are they sometimes small and sometimes big?

And what's the deal with airplane food anyway?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Nice Right Cross. Ali would be proud. 8-)
I was thinking more of Tyson and the Punch-Out video game, myself.

And do remember that Tsillah was at the Paranor-Mall when Atsali met the twins.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
captnq

Post by captnq »

Step by step

1) shadow
2) Appearance of Goblin
3) Punch/Markings on forehead
4) No more shadow/Goblin on ground.

Have we seen these markings before? Whatever happened pulled all of the shadows out of the room and into the goblin (Which is the actual shadow) and laid it out on the ground.

Speculation:
1) Sirens can "Draw people in" So, she drew the shadow into the goblin form so she could punch it.
2) Having had the entire knowledge base of an advanced civilization in your head has given her Atlantis-Fu.
3) Demon thing living inside Atsali with demon punching powers.
4) Nobody's ever punched the Shadow Goblin before and she just took her off guard.
5) The Artist thought it'd be funny and didn't think this through.

Side note:
Good girl! Punch anyone who sneaks up on you! Sneaks deserve Stitches!
Last edited by captnq on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

zachariah wrote:I wonder when Sali acquired the fight or flight reaction? When we first met her she was not aggressive. If surprised she would flinch away not attack. I doubt her adventure with Kathy was enough to change a basic reaction pattern that way. So somewhere she was either trained to fight enough so her surprise reaction is to strike out. The other option for this is her maturing into full siren powers. The change also affected her basic reactions which could be. Sirens are hunters/predators after all so an attack reaction would be a survival trait for them.
I'll go with the "maturing" - she has face markings when she swings.

Actually, i was reminded of the original cast - i could see Monica reacting that way.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

captnq wrote:Speculation:
1) Sirens can "Draw people in" So, she drew the shadow into the goblin form so she could punch it.
2) Having had the entire knowledge base of an advanced civilization in your head has given her Atlantis-Fu.
3) Demon thing living inside Atsali with demon punching powers.
4) Nobody's ever punched the Shadow Goblin before and she just took her off guard.
5) The Artist thought it'd be funny and didn't think this through.

Side note:
Good girl! Punch anyone who sneaks up on you! Sneaks deserve Stitches!
I'll go with number four as well, because we already know that Tsillah as the "shadow" can carry objects like her backpack and notepads, therefore we know her shadow has a 3D, PHYSICAL presence in this universe/dimension... after that, it's just a matter of Atsali whacking her one on the nose at an unexpected moment, before she (Tsillah) can react and dissolve away, or flinch her "body" away from the impact, just like Sydney can punch a Teleporter in the nose over in the Grrl Power comic...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
illiad

Post by illiad »

Shoulnt that be ... "hey, who turned out the lights?? hey, who turned out the lights?? ..(repeat)" :P
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/that-means/

Yeah, last week that fourth panel kinda got stuck on one of my open tabs for about a day or three...

Oh, & Poor Kath...
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Thor wrote:2) Tsillah still has all the people skills and common sense of a golf ball.
So, despite her actual years, Tsillah is also a teenager?

hmmmm ..... :?:

:shock: :!:

One more + a talking critter = the Library is sending a Scooby Gang instead of the MIB.

The Library is smarter than I though :lol:
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Nice Right Cross. Ali would be proud. 8-)
Ayuh... both Muhammed and Laila.
Thor

Post by Thor »

jwhouk wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:And do remember that Tsillah was at the Paranor-Mall when Atsali met the twins.
Indeed. In fact, Tsillah is talking to Monica when Atsali comes in trailing after Pickle.

So Atsali and Tsillah have been within 10 feet of each other, though not necessarily introduced, since Monica sweeps her off to find a brassiere.

And here, Nudge and Tsillah are watching the Ursa twins meet the Gilchrist girls from a remove.

And apparently Tsillah was at school, but we don't know how long ago that was, or if it was Griffindale High School, or maybe Creature University.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Grantwhy wrote: The Library is smarter than I though :lol:
or Phix saying " meh, send tsillah, she loves meeting new people.... :P "
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I know where they are so Sali could punch Tsillah. They are inside Tsillah! When the vamps, I think it was the vamps, went to the library they were treated to the same thing. Enclosed in darkness and then a lighted area and met Tsillah's shadow. This is the same thing. Since they are inside Tsillah's shadow body when Sali swung she connected! I doubt anything has tried to hit Tsillah from the inside before.

Drops a bell into the jar, the same one Connie uses. That way the next time this happens a proper fight can be announced.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

When Tsillah put out the light
She gave Sali a real bad fright
So Sali swung away
Gave Tsillah the big K
Now Tsillah's is out for the night.

Ker-powie, Ker-owie!
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

zachariah wrote:Drops a bell into the jar, the same one Connie uses. That way the next time this happens a proper fight can be announced.
DING! DING!! DING!!! *Cue Michael Buffer*

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLETS GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!!!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

I've got a theory about why Atsali punched Tsillah.

Atsali's wing will also pop out as a 'flight or fight' stimulus.

And while Nadette might of be pushing Atsali's Siren arousal buttons, that doesn't mean Atsali's brain wasn't also giving 'flight or fight' stimuli ("OMG, what do I do?!?")

I could be wrong, but the markings on Atsali's face in the 4th panel are her "fight" markings?

With Atsali already in 'flight or fight' mode, and no obvious direction/way to 'flight', the 'fight' was her instincts only choice. (And *IF* Atsali's instincts were guiding her actions, then maybe Nadette *was* pushing Atsali's buttons more successfully than she was expecting?)

Maybe Nadette was lucky Tsillah showed up when she did?

As to the question "How did Astali punch Tsillah when Tsillah wasn't in a form to be punched?" (she was the shadow/light surrounding them)

My guess is that is is due to some ability Atsali has inherited from her (Incubus) father?

If Incubus powers include something about a persons soul, then maybe Atsali was able to (subconsciously?) detect where Tsillah's soul was (Tsillah was all around then, maybe that counted as physical contact?) and punched that? :shock:
(and I think I'll leave that obvious pun that leads to for another to have a swing at :p)

*edit*
or maybe Incubus has some kind of power that can affect shadows?
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Sirens could also have the ability to affect shadows, too. This is the Wapsiverse we're talking about. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

RE Nadette and Tsillah (and Atsali and Tsillah): As others have noted, even if they haven't be introduced they apparently know each other by sight. Although they may not know personal details.

RE Nadette and Atsali: Whether this determined non-come-on will have any effect on her and 'Sali's future relationship may depend on what Nad has seen in the future itself. She apparently knows what's going to happen between Atsali and Jacob; I doubt she would do anything that would mess up that OR her chances.

RE Atsali and Tsillah: "Goblin, meet my paw." Literally and homophonically, I think. Those facial markings, and her ability to flatten Death's daughter, make me suspect Atsali got powers from her father as well as her mother.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Or it may be that Nadette is the one Atsali will, eventually, find happiness with and Nadette knows it. She's testing the waters here to be sure. She knows Atsali needs to try out other options first to get them out if her system. From Nadette's perspective, the sooner the better. So, if that's true, her time with Jacob will also not go well. Still Nadette said Jacob will also find happiness through this encounter with Atsali. Problem is, this smacks of a self-fulfilling prophecy now. Nadette seems to be making it happen because of what she envisioned.

OTOH, it could be Nadette ends up with Jacob and Atsali ends up with someone else yet to be introduced. Perhaps during this mini-adventure? Of course, both are too young to be hooking up with anyone for life just yet. But every relationship has to start somewhere. With Paul the master plot twister, however, it will probably be something else entirely. Something which will gobsmack the lot of us. As usual.

How does she know Tsillah? From seeing her in The Big Picture Book of Famous Paranormals, of course. 9477th Edition, 88th Revision, 132nd printing. Earth zone release, coffee table format. I believe it would be in chapter 12, "The Young and the Clueless."
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

oldmanmickey wrote:well as a Cambion Atsali would be an awesome fighter. As well as a maybe magic user like her possible cousin Merlin.
I think I've missed something rather important. When was it hinted/suggested that she may be related to Merlin?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:well as a Cambion Atsali would be an awesome fighter. As well as a maybe magic user like her possible cousin Merlin.
I think I've missed something rather important. When was it hinted/suggested that she may be related to Merlin?
In most myths, Merlin was the son of a demon of Hell (or even the Devil). Atsali is the daughter of an Incubus, and in most myths, Incubi are demons of Hell.

ETA: Was Merlin (in the sources, not on the internet) ever described as a Cambion?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!