Did You Hear That 2015-01-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
eee

Re: Did You Hear That 2015-01-07

Post by eee »

DilyV wrote:Nadette... please... smack some sense into Atsali. .
Yes, that was what I was going to say! Nadette, start slapping and don't stop until 'Sali stops being hysterical! Or at least, stupid...
DilyV wrote:I think that look on Nadette's face could be the result of seeing how badly this is going to go. Bad thing is, like Katherine, I don't think Nadette is going to be able to say no quick enough nor enough times.

The facial expression could also be "OMG, I'm in love with a lunatic!!"

I wonder if Lily was trying to provoke this reaction on Atsali's part. Frankly, I doubt it: Her grand-daughter's life IS precious to her, and I doubt there's any need to risk it sending her out to do more heroics. And Atsali would probably be MUCH more valuable behind the lines, telling the MiB what they might be facing, than poking around a destroyed complex possibly opening Pandora's Box.

Hopefully she and Nadette get through this alive and intact and Atsali learns some discretion.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

eee wrote:Hopefully she and Nadette get through this alive and intact and Atsali learns some discretion.
And still be back on time for her date tomorrow... ;)
(I know, that sentiment has already been mentioned, but I just thought it bears repeating...)

*Builds a time machine, goes into the future to retrieve the not-yet-created sculpture of the ursamorph twins, returns to the present, and deposits it into the pun vault, along with the time machine, to avoid any further shenanigans with it*
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

My2Cents wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Nadette has that wtf look on her face. lol
It may be her "Oh, that is what that part of the prophesy meant" look.
That exact thought crossed my mind.

"Oh, NOW I see why Jacob and Atsali will never last."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

I don't think Atsali will just drag Nadette along like that. Not when she can also drag along a second Ursamorph, a Fae and a pair of Mermaids.

"Assemble the team, we're going in!"
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Aleister Crow wrote:I don't think Atsali will just drag Nadette along like that. Not when she can also drag along a second Ursamorph, a Fae and a pair of Mermaids.

Oh no. This is going to be the Calendar Machine all over again, isn't it?
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

I thought Sali didn't have fangs.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Yamara wrote:Whatsamatter, Nadette? Didn't see that one coming?
oldmanmickey wrote:Nadette has that wtf look on her face. lol
I suspect she's just had a "I know what just happened (/will happen), but I have no idea *WHY*"

or to put it another way, knowing what someone did (or will do) does *NOT* give you an automatic understanding of the *why* :p
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Dave

Post by Dave »

starkruzr wrote:I thought Sali didn't have fangs.
She definitely does have them, but they tend to be non-visible when she is (1) calm, and (2) in her fully-human morph.

They show up when she's upset, angry, or in a birdy or fighting morph.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/fellow-explorer/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/that-means/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/stay-calm-2/

I imagine that part of her orphanage/school training, in maintaining a human form as part of the Masquerade, involves learning how to contol her shapeshifting so as to avoid showing a set of choppers that could take down a Cape buffalo (as Bud so eloquently put it).
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

I'm inclined to agree that Lily is using a voodoo jedi mind trick to motivate Atsali, but I'm also spending some time waaaay deep in confusion corner...

Pass the espresso pot and scones...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

starkruzr wrote:I thought Sali didn't have fangs.
She can have fangs when angry ( http://wapsisquare.com/comic/door-is-shut/ ) or REALLY angry ( http://wapsisquare.com/comic/stay-calm-2/ )
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I can see it now. New team assembles to go in and quick win to prove they can. The old guard gathers together to go rescue the newbies and wind up stuck with them. Major battle and mayhem ensue as both teams come together to vanquish the foe but find themselves not strong enough. At the finale second before doom strikes Auntie Phix, mama Kath, Pickle and mini Dietzel pop in. Phickle and Pix kick the smaller things out of the way, Dietzel show Kath the off button for the big bad. Phix, "sweeties yall got some 'splainin to do". Kath, "young ladies its past your bed times"! Pickle, "fish farts. hehehehe." Dietzel, eye rolls.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Dave wrote:For it is written, that the best way to persuade a teenager to do something, is to forbid him/her to do it.

Both "It's too dangerous" and "You are not old/wise/careful enough" are amazingly effective tactics.

The real question: has it truly been so long since Lily was (or dealt with) teens, that she really didn't anticipate this outcome?
Or was it her plan all along?

"Good, you're here. These are your bodyguards. Try not to stray too far. You know how dangerous this place probably is."
Last edited by Gyrrakavian on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Aleister Crow wrote:I don't think Atsali will just drag Nadette along like that. Not when she can also drag along a second Ursamorph, a Fae and a pair of Mermaids.

And maybe even Jacob for the hell of it.

Possibly introducing him to whom he'll find happiness with.
My money's on a plot twist that it's with whomever escaped a secret crystal set at the site. Either that or Cricket. She'd knock some sense into him.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm sorta anticipating a plot twist in which Atsali's siren powers of fascination turn out to be what keeps her (and friends) alive, when the Big Bad shows up. The chances that a dangerous Whatever would already have feelings for Atsali (and thus be immune) don't seem high.

She could end being the Mighty Mouse of the whole new adventure! Here I hum, to save the day...
Gyrrakavian wrote:My money's on a plot twist that it's with whomever escaped a secret crystal set at the site.
Sorta like the alien race in Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers, who said they'd learned to speak perfect colloquial English by listening to our radio broadcasts "with our ultra-high-powered crystal radio sets" :)
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Dave wrote:I'm sorta anticipating a plot twist in which Atsali's siren powers of fascination turn out to be what keeps her (and friends) alive, when the Big Bad shows up. The chances that a dangerous Whatever would already have feelings for Atsali (and thus be immune) don't seem high.
Hey now! Spoilers

Gyrrakavian wrote:My money's on a plot twist that it's with whomever escaped a secret crystal set at the site.
Dave wrote:Sorta like the alien race in Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers, who said they'd learned to speak perfect colloquial English by listening to our radio broadcasts "with our ultra-high-powered crystal radio sets" :)
[/quote]
*blinks* I was guessing it spoke in a proto-Greek or proto-Latin that Grandma Lily spoke, Kath and Mon could extrapolate, and and Jacob could approximate by way of either having to speak Greek at home or being a linguistics nerd.

Either that or magic translator doodad.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Sometimes, "Stay Out Of This!" means STAY OUT OF THIS!!! While the last time she circumnavigated the rules lead to her and Prickly Pear getting adopted, it wasn't without more than a fair amount of near death. At least she needs the complete set of Cubs to come along, as a Voice Of Reason may come in handy here.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

kingklash wrote:Sometimes, "Stay Out Of This!" means STAY OUT OF THIS!!! While the last time she circumnavigated the rules lead to her and Prickly Pear getting adopted, it wasn't without more than a fair amount of near death. At least she needs the complete set of Cubs to come along, as a Voice Of Reason may come in handy here.
Not to mention two Large Furry Persons with teeth and claws...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Hey now! Spoilers
It's only spoilers if you have inside knowledge. :) I don't - I'm just engaging in the sort of speculation that any member of Equus hemionus might indulge in.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Hey now! Spoilers
It's only spoilers if you have inside knowledge. :) I don't - I'm just engaging in the sort of speculation that any member of Equus hemionus might indulge in.
...What do bronies have to do with this?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

WARNING!!! The Surgeon Generals' Office has proven that ANY attempt of a mature (relatively speaking) male to understand the THOUGHT PROCESS of a TEEN-AGED FEMALE can result in PERMANENT BRAIN DAMAGE!!!
the Old Sgt.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.