Fan Art

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: On The Beach

Post by lake_wrangler »

A very nice piece of descriptive narrative, fleshing out quite well the feelings and the elements seen on the various comic panels.

I do have one slight nitpick:
jwhouk wrote:She had unloaded all this stuff on her.
She unloaded on him, not her... (either that, or "all this stuff that had been on her mind", or something to that effect...)

I had a pleasant time reading this. It was definitely worth taking the time to read! 8-)
Akeche

Re: Fan Art

Post by Akeche »

Sheesh Yamara that little write-up was friggin creepy.

It... kind of makes you wonder what does happen with a paranormal when they sleep. You kind of just let go, and seeing as Monica isn't really human anymore... Or maybe I got the wrong image in my head, it just made Jet come off as completely insane.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Akeche wrote:Sheesh Yamara that little write-up was friggin creepy.

It... kind of makes you wonder what does happen with a paranormal when they sleep. You kind of just let go, and seeing as Monica isn't really human anymore... Or maybe I got the wrong image in my head, it just made Jet come off as completely insane.
The latter. Very much the latter.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Yamara wrote:Jet isn't necessarily crazy, love is just like that. Wrote this before Turkey Day as a response, but only getting it posted now.

EDIT: Now I remember why I waited. Was looking for this old installment:

:arrow: Meet Georgette Sundahl.

Careful what you wish for.

You Are Your Own Toothbrush

It was the perfect way to awaken. Sunlight streamed straight into Monica's mind, like silent music. Everything of Georgette's was all around her, the pretty sheets, the beautiful things they had bought together on the Riviera, the long and high windows which let in all that glorious light.

"You'd never let Kevin see you like this," commented Doubt.

Monica had to look. Doubt was in flawless skin and killer couture, like she was ready for an evening in Monte Carlo with James Bond.

"Yes, I preferred to wake up in piles of ladies without him," was her comeback, but it wasn't with the sharp saracasm she intended, as her voice was hushed... almost...

Etherial.

Doubt cupped her ear. "Eh? Something get caught in your throat?"

Monica looked at her own hands. They weren't really there, because her spirit had spent the morning hanging outside her flesh, apparently. And then from behind her, she heard a sneeze.

Clumsily spinning in place, the full monstrosity of her form lay revealed, spread out upon bedsheets. Bones were exposed, rotting fur lay unmoving, and worst, her steel-trap jaws were closed over her silver cord.

The sneeze had come from Panic, sitting on the freshly cleaned floor by the bed. She wiped her missing nose with a demonic hanky. "'Scuse me." Then she smiled, almost cheerfully. "It's not Ebola--!"

Footsteps were coming from the hall.

"--IT'S JET!!" Panic vanished and, with a snap of her fingers, so did Doubt.

"Good morning, gorgeous, Jill made us breakfast!"

"NAH! Don't come in! I'm not dressed!! I mean I'm not--" But Jet was already in the room, seeing her flimsy spirit helplessly pry at the unyielding vice of her hellish face. "--i'm not presentable"

And Jet stood there as Monica tried to wheeze out an explanation, but she could finish no sentence, because there was no way to lie, and there was no way to apologize, and there was no way to do anything but babble about how little she understood of the mess and horror she abjectly was.

Jet was the very vision of unfazed radience. "Have you ever participated in Tokyo Fashion Week?"

The ghost of Monica folded what arms she had, and calming, slowly slid back into her quietly opening jaws. Having resettled within, she raised one claw to signal patience, and reconstituted her eyes before sitting up. She gave Jet a good long stare before saying matter-of-factly, "...I have not."

Jet nestled herself and the breakfast tray on the bed beside her, and poured them both a mimosa. "Well then you haven't seen scary."

They spent the morning in a long conversation about how to keep Dietzel from getting lost in the wainscotting again.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

huh. I like it overall, but I think I'm going to have to re-read it again to really 'get' some of the imagery...
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Sarge, I couldn't resist.
oldmanmickey, I'll let someone else paste Jacob's head onto Belushi's Samurai.
Dave

Post by Dave »

That's a Travolting use of Pablo's artwork ;)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Careful, Dave... I hear that the Pun vault has an annex that connects to the fanart sub-forum... :lol:
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

AmriloJim wrote:Sarge, I couldn't resist.
oldmanmickey, I'll let someone else paste Jacob's head onto Belushi's Samurai.
BLASPEMY!!! HERESY!!! BRAIN DAMAGE!!! YOU HAVE MADE HIM GAY!!! ... well, Atsali will be disappointed, but other than being just WRONG it really doesn't matter that much to me...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

s'OK Sarge, that's just his sister's picture of Jacob at a Halloween party...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

TazManiac wrote:s'OK Sarge, that's just his sister's picture of Jacob at a Halloween party...

HARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHAR!!!!
Ya gotta remember, that was MY generation... a fact I might never live down...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
TazManiac wrote:s'OK Sarge, that's just his sister's picture of Jacob at a Halloween party...

If you can't live it down, have you ever considered living up to it? ;)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:

If you can't live it down, have you ever considered living up to it? ;)
That was the era I dropped all interest in rock/pop/disco and went back to my Appalachian roots. Did rather well with Guitar, Banjo and Harmonica as well as vocalist with a number of jug bands... and yes, we DID live it up!!! As for these days... well, Miss Annie says she has no complaints...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

I too survived that era relatively unscathed by what passed as popular music. I didn't retreat as far as you, just went in different directions from the herd. Eno was a favorite and still is. And Houston was epicenter of the Travolta Urban Cowboy thing. That was not pleasant.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I remember the era all too well. We had Cheryl Tiegs and Farrah Fawcett Majors (as she went by at the time) at their best. We had just got back "Star Trek" a a Motion Picture and the Force was exposed to our world. For all the horror of Disco, "Saturday Night Fever", "Urban Cowboys" and "Electric Horsemen", there was always the "Afternoon Special" and Saturday morning cartoons including education in the form of "Schoolhouse Rock!". All in all we did just fine.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Mark N wrote:Saturday morning cartoons including education in the form of "Schoolhouse Rock!". All in all we did just fine.
they sure don't make them like they used to... though i heard a rumor a few months ago that somebody is going to be releasing NEW versions of Schoolhouse Rock... not sure how they'll screw that up, but i am pretty sure they'll do it somehow. :(
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Mark N wrote:I remember the era all too well. We had Cheryl Tiegs and Farrah Fawcett Majors (as she went by at the time) at their best. We had just got back "Star Trek" a a Motion Picture and the Force was exposed to our world. For all the horror of Disco, "Saturday Night Fever", "Urban Cowboys" and "Electric Horsemen", there was always the "Afternoon Special" and Saturday morning cartoons including education in the form of "Schoolhouse Rock!". All in all we did just fine.
I remember being actively opposed to disco back in those days. But for some ungodly reason, whenever a Bee Gees song is on, I know all the words...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Let me guess: "ungodly reason" == "any Bee Gees song that is on now, has been on regularly for the last thirty-odd years"?

(Or do you somehow know the words to Bee Gees songs the radio stations have forgotten?)

While I lived through most of the '70s, I don't remember much of those years myself, and my older brother's collection didn't include any disco. Most of the disco I do know, I heard on the radio from around 1980 (when I started listening to adults' music) and counting.

The complaints I hear of disco do not so much resonate with me, as they serve as a constant reminder of Sturgeon's law. After all, the disco the radio stations are still playing is far less than 10%. 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Sidhekin wrote:Let me guess: "ungodly reason" == "any Bee Gees song that is on now, has been on regularly for the last thirty-odd years"?

(Or do you somehow know the words to Bee Gees songs the radio stations have forgotten?)

While I lived through most of the '70s, I don't remember much of those years myself, and my older brother's collection didn't include any disco. Most of the disco I do know, I heard on the radio from around 1980 (when I started listening to adults' music) and counting.

The complaints I hear of disco do not so much resonate with me, as they serve as a constant reminder of Sturgeon's law. After all, the disco the radio stations are still playing is far less than 10%. 8-)
I can believe your well reasoned theory for the popular 10%, but I can sing along with "New York Mining Disaster 1941" and "Mrs Gillespie's Refrigerator".

(they look marvelously Mod in the video for 1941)

Holy Carp! The Bee Gees in 1963(I was but a year old at the time) singing 'Blowing in the Wind'... :shock:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Remarkable.

Pre-disco (which may be relevant to your recollection if them?), but still, remarkable.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!