Atsali Xmas 2014-12-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Thor

Re: Atsali Xmas 2014-12-26

Post by Thor »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:...and Nadette transferring her crush...
After spending the last three Atsali arcs establishing and emphasizing Nadette's crush on Atsali, Nadette should just toss all that aside and transfer all her build-up infatuation onto some random girl in a coffee shop that we've never seen before?

Sounds legit.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Thor wrote:
After spending the last three Atsali arcs establishing and emphasizing Nadette's crush on Atsali, Nadette should just toss all that aside and transfer all her build-up infatuation onto some random girl in a coffee shop that we've never seen before?

Sounds legit.
Sounds sixteen.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Sixteen : logic :: Ooh, shiny!

Our new Sunday night obsession: seeing the Monday comic on FB as early as 9pm Minneapolis time and spending the next three hours hitting F5 and chanting, "Open, open, open."
Dave

Post by Dave »

AmriloJim wrote:Sixteen : logic :: Ooh, shiny!

Our new Sunday night obsession: seeing the Monday comic on FB as early as 9pm Minneapolis time and spending the next three hours hitting F5 and chanting, "Open, open, open."
New obsession?

The legions of long-time late-evening Wapsi-addict zombies would beg to differ with you. :)
Thor

Post by Thor »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Thor wrote:

Sounds legit.
Sounds sixteen.
In fiction, things are more likely to hew to logical patterns of clearly established causes leading to wholly reasonable effect than they are to reflect the real and familiar. In fact, we expect things to happen for given reasons more in fiction in than in real life.

Mr. Taylor has spent three arcs establishing Nadette's crush for Atsali as a causative force. Letting that evaporate without resulting in some narrative effect is the hallmark of an amateur story-teller, so I highly doubt we will see this crush simply go away or be deflected into impotency--as would be the case if it were presented and justified as "LOL teenagers do silly things!".

We've already seen what happens when (not-so-)young women act capriciously when Monica and Shelley jumped off a roof and raced to the club. The storyline slapped them down hard. Besides, while Monica and Shelley and Atsali are main characters who--through a process of thorough character development--have more latitude to act in seemingly less predictable ways, due to their established complex web of experience and motivations, Nadette is only a supporting character who cannot act outside of her sparse and narrow definition without weakening the suspension of disbelief.

Everything that we have seen about Nadette to this point shows her to be anything but flighty and very consistent with her attraction to Atsali. Having her suddenly saying "Whatevs!" and pursuing a fresh piece of tail would be jarring to the reader, her age be damned. It would be as jarring as if Atsali instantly flipped to reveling in her new Queen Bee status and the attention it brings. We would need new groundwork laid that would show her changing from kind and shy to dictatorial and brazen as the power slowly corrupted her.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Dave wrote:New obsession?

The legions of long-time late-evening Wapsi-addict zombies would beg to differ with you. :)
AmriloJim wrote:Sixteen : logic :: Ooh, shiny!

The new part is seeing Pablo's sneak peeks and having to wait for the new thread.
illiad

Post by illiad »

so where is opus??? fell asleep in his tent outside, 'cos the alarm did not go off??? :P
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Thor wrote:

Sounds legit.
I still subscribe to the theory that Nadette wasn't immune to Atsali's song, just that she was able to resist it at the time because (being a seer) not all of Nadette was in the 'now' to be affected. That does (to my mind) leaves the door ajar for the Nadette NOT in the 'now' to be affected, which might explain her behaviour in recent strips/
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Grantwhy wrote:
Thor wrote:

Sounds legit.
I still subscribe to the theory that Nadette wasn't immune to Atsali's song, just that she was able to resist it at the time because (being a seer) not all of Nadette was in the 'now' to be affected. That does (to my mind) leaves the door ajar for the Nadette NOT in the 'now' to be affected, which might explain her behaviour in recent strips/
exactly... as the NOW (the time frame of her that WAS affected back on the beach) portions of her psyche "catch up" to the portions of her that were in the NOT-NOW (as a Seer, I'd expect them to be the future) we get to see it affect her more and more. and as a YOUNG Seer, I'll expect that her ability to "focus" on the future is limited to a relatively short time-frame. one that will expand as she gets older and more experienced AS a Seer. once she is fully "caught-up" to herself and the full effect FINALLY takes place, i expect a huge scandalous "but I love you... not HIM" kind of scene at the worst possible Rule-of-Funny moment...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

scantrontb wrote:exactly... as the NOW (the time frame of her that WAS affected back on the beach) portions of her psyche "catch up" to the portions of her that were in the NOT-NOW (as a Seer, I'd expect them to be the future) we get to see it affect her more and more. and as a YOUNG Seer, I'll expect that her ability to "focus" on the future is limited to a relatively short time-frame. one that will expand as she gets older and more experienced AS a Seer. once she is fully "caught-up" to herself and the full effect FINALLY takes place, i expect a huge scandalous "but I love you... not HIM" kind of scene at the worst possible Rule-of-Funny moment...
exactly.

In addition, I just had a random thought (before seeing the Happy New Year page).

Nadette as a seer should get visions/views of the future (and past), probably whether she wants to or not. There is also the possibility of something happening to a future Nadette that can affect the *now* Nadette.

What if, some time in the future, Atsali goes 'full siren' and/or loses self control ... and Nadette will be/is affected *then*. Either by being in the immediate vicinity or via vision - either in the *now* or in the *not now* (past and/or future .... seers must be fun to write for :p)

For anyone having trouble visualising the now/not-not thing, try watching this -->

.... all done?

... It won't help, but it's always a good time when I can make a relevant link to (a cookie to anyone who guessed) that movie :ugeek:

anyway ... :)

what I am trying to suggest is, the Nadette in the *now* might be 'suffering' from the effects of Atsali's 'siren song', just *not* necessarily the one from back on the island, and maybe a 'siren song' of much, much stronger power.

or not - guessing stuff on the internet is fun, no? :lol:
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones