Castela Xmas Eve 2014 2014-12-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Opus the Poet

Re: Castela Xmas Eve 2014 2014-12-24

Post by Opus the Poet »

Since we're raiding Youtube for Christmas songs here's my favorite, mainly because it's one of the few written in my normal singing range. Who knew Boris Karloff would have such a great singing voice?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Opus the Poet wrote:Since we're raiding Youtube for Christmas songs here's my favorite, mainly because it's one of the few written in my normal singing range. Who knew Boris Karloff would have such a great singing voice?
The singer is not Karloff, but rather Thurl Ravenscroft.
Wikipedia wrote:Thurl Arthur Ravenscroft (/ˈθɜrl ˈreɪvənzkrɒft/; February 6, 1914 – May 22, 2005) was an American voice actor and basso profundo best known as the deep voice behind Tony the Tiger's "They're grrreat!" in Kellogg's Frosted Flakes television commercials for more than five decades. Ravenscroft was also known, albeit uncredited, as the vocalist for the song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" from the classic Christmas television special, Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurl_Ravenscroft
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Over on Fark, someone did the annual posting of "Fairytale Of New York", so I had to drop the cover version from Dr Girlfriend and The Monarch on the thread. It will bring a tear to your eye, but probably not for sentimental reasons.

Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

JSStryker wrote:Castela does realize that hippos are vegetarians? :shock:
marshmallows are vegetables - Castela can share hers with her hippo :D
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

AmriloJim wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Since we're raiding Youtube for Christmas songs here's my favorite, mainly because it's one of the few written in my normal singing range. Who knew Boris Karloff would have such a great singing voice?
The singer is not Karloff, but rather Thurl Ravenscroft.
Wikipedia wrote:Thurl Arthur Ravenscroft (/ˈθɜrl ˈreɪvənzkrɒft/; February 6, 1914 – May 22, 2005) was an American voice actor and basso profundo best known as the deep voice behind Tony the Tiger's "They're grrreat!" in Kellogg's Frosted Flakes television commercials for more than five decades. Ravenscroft was also known, albeit uncredited, as the vocalist for the song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" from the classic Christmas television special, Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurl_Ravenscroft
At the time of the first run, "TV Guide" specifically referred to Karloff singing it.

(Wish i knew what happened to the two original cels, one of the Grinch and one of Max, that the agency my mother was working for at the time got to use in making spots for the organisation (banks, i think) sponsoring it statewide in SC to run during it.

If i had 'em, i bet i could make decent dent in the car note.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Merry Christmas from Anadarko, Oklahoma!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

And Happy Christmas from Winnipeg, Manitoba!
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Aed

Post by Aed »

jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Here are some SciFi Xmas novelty songs:

Space Patrol was a popular show in the 50s according to Ed Norton.
Redheadedcyclone

Post by Redheadedcyclone »

I didn't know this was a real song until last night at the in-laws... It came on Pandora (or whatever music thing they were using) and I heard it! I ended up having to explain why I almost yelled, "holy cats! This is a real song!" lolol

Merriest of Christmases or whatever Holiday you turn
The Universe is not Vindictive.

I subscribe to the A.A. Milne School of Capitalization. If it is an Important Idea, then it should be Capitalized.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Merry Christmas from the Great North Woods of Wisconsin.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good day
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I forgot to cancel my overtime availability note for yesterday, and ended up working from 10 pm to 5:30 am... Plus I had a regular shift this morning, and another 4 hours of overtime tonight... Rinse, lather, and repeat for tomorrow (i.e. 8 hour regular shift, plus 1.5 hours of overtime - but paid 2 hours, and overtime on holidays is paid double time, rather than time and a half). Looks like I won't have too much trouble buying new tires for the truck, in two weeks...

Oh, and Merry Christmas, everyone!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I actually don't have a problem with the hippopotamus song itself, it's more a case of I don't like many of the performances of it; the singers tend to put on the most obnoxious vocal affectations when singing it. I have the same problem with songs such as "Santa Baby" and "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth". Making the listener want to punch the singer is probably contrary to the Christmas spirit.

I never really had any holiday traditions of my own, but when I was married no Christmas was complete without at least a few playings of "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" and "Darcy the Dragon".
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
JSStryker wrote:Castela does realize that hippos are vegetarians? :shock:
Mostly.
They'll quite readily chew on people, but they'll spit them out when they're done.
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

I think this might be considered a "rediscovered classic." I never heard it until about halfway through the years I lived in Tulsa (mid 90s through 2009), and I've always enjoy switching over to the all-Christmas station (after Thanksgiving). It's was recorded in 1953 by a little girl around the Oklahoma City area in conjunction with the city's zoo getting a hippo. I think it was "lost" for a while, although I see on Wikipedia, that some covers surfaced a few times.

Also, what my friends and I call the Christmas Date Rape song (Baby, It's Cold Outside) was another one I never heard until fairly recently.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me. I'm just making guesses based on my Xmas-song listening experience. :)
Redheadedcyclone wrote:I didn't know this was a real song until last night at the in-laws... It came on Pandora (or whatever music thing they were using) and I heard it! I ended up having to explain why I almost yelled, "holy cats! This is a real song!" lolol

Merriest of Christmases or whatever Holiday you turn
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm thinking it's 50/50 that we don't get a "new" strip until Monday.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

MERRY CHRISTMAS Everyone!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

At work, Seattle, or working in Seattle...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.