No Wait 2014-11-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: No Wait 2014-11-25

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Poor Cricket.
I'm now feeling slightly guilty about having consumed toasted crickets in Laos while vacationing there last year.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

In the last panel Monica is so embarrassed and so intent on seeming non threatening that her teeth are back to pre Jaguar Girl dentation.

As in normal, human, teeth, instead of the rip-and-tear carnivore teeth she's been sporting since her level up in the Library.

I think this is significant.
Akamar

Post by Akamar »

Honestly, I'm not sure if Cricket needs Monica or the other way around, because Monica's pretty much bungled all her interactions with the fae at this point. HOnestly, I think she's been ushered into this mentoring position for her own growth, rather than any benefit Cricket might gain, as Monica feels so completely useless as a mentor that it becomes something of a self-fulfilling state.

At this point, M probably needs to take a step back, ask for a do-over, and take the kid out for coffee or ice cream...
illiad

Post by illiad »

well poor cricket must have arrived just after M was being yelled at... :(
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

Monica: "I'm sorry, Calista. I was just having a temper tantrum because I wasn't getting my way."
Cricket: "Huh. I know you were once human, but in the Fae world, we have been taught that being a selfish diaper baby doesn't work by the time we get out of pre-school."

Thank you Wreck-It Ralph, for the adjective that applies here.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
kingklash wrote:I cannot figure out how to make a coherent "Cricket Lighter" joke here.
Really? When Calista is on fire, Phix will go looking for Monica to explain that she's supposed to mentor Calista, not be a Cricket lighter.
I think FPF meant something like: "Cricket gets to see the lighter side of Monica."
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

zachariah wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
kingklash wrote:I cannot figure out how to make a coherent "Cricket Lighter" joke here.
Really? When Calista is on fire, Phix will go looking for Monica to explain that she's supposed to mentor Calista, not be a Cricket lighter.
I think FPF meant something like: "Cricket gets to see the lighter side of Monica."
If M keeps scaring the poor girl and making her run then we will for sure have a cricket lighter by a whole lot. lol
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

Who is the Master and who is the student? Phix, assuredly, is the Master, Monica is presently Novice-in-Training and Cricket is just a fledgling Padawan.
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Way to go, Jugs.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Atomic wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:<Godzilla! Run!> *translated from Japanese*
Everybody run! The Homecoming Queen's got a gun^H^H^H flamethrower!

Now to explain to Calista...

M - "Because I am who I am, you may find me doing amazing or scary things when you come to see me. But they're not aimed at you. This is all about teaching you, not hurting you. OK?"
C: "Yeah, right."
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

GAH!!!! NEVER breathe fire in a LIBRARY!!! Even if there are no books in the area, and the Library is sentient and probably can keep the books from burning magically, JUST DON'T DO IT!!!

Any book lover who sees it will probably have a heart attack...

Not to mention she's stepped in it with Calista again. After Dietzel the Princess should be less afraid of Monica, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way.
shadowinthelight wrote:
OMG! This is adorable! Mr. Taylor could probably license Cricket to whoever makes Cricket lighters and make a BUNDLE!
RigbyReardon

Post by RigbyReardon »

My guess is another anxiety arc. The question is: what did it do?
donoho

Post by donoho »

Radical_Knight wrote:Who is the Master and who is the student? Phix, assuredly, is the Master, Monica is presently Novice-in-Training and Cricket is just a fledgling Padawan.
I think:

There are no masters, only older, more experienced students.

Phix appeared to be a master when we first met her, but we've seen she's just another powerful being, with her own strengths and faults. She's far from perfect, but has been an amazing mentor for Monica and Shelly. Monica is on a similar path, as is Cricket, just at different points in time/experience.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Unless I'm mistaken, Monica is breathing Astral fire, which will not harm anything on this reality except demons.

I think we need to keep in mind that Monica seems to be an unwilling participant in all of this. By that, I mean all the para-normal stuff. It was her quest for knowledge that led her to the museum, and through that to her current set of circumstances, but all along the way she's been reticent to accept the mantle that's been thrust upon her. How many times have we seen her say that she didn't want any more paranormal activity in her life? Especially after the Calendar incident.

As Old and wise as Phix is, she should be able to see that Monica needs to be sat down and have everything explained to her. Monica is an information sponge... it seems as long as she's learning something (as long as it doesn't fall outside her preconceived notions) She's happy. She has trouble grasping anything that can not be proven by pure science. Yet her very existence goes against everything she'd learned up to the point she became overtly the Jaguar Girl. She always was... she just hadn't reached that trigger point. Now she has to try and reconcile that somehow and it's undoubtedly driving her nuts. How would any of us be having such earth shattering knowledge, yet being unable to say a word of it to anyone outside of the circle of paranormals?

I think a trip to the island is a good idea. No distractions (unless Stinky comes up with another U Boat), and plenty of time to talk calmly with Cricket without distractions getting in the way. And yes, I think Monica does need to tell poor Cricket that even though she (Monica) is the Jaguar Girl, it doesn't mean she's not driven by plain old human emotion. It would go a log way to gaining Cricket's trust and understanding.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
as363

Post by as363 »

How about the "I have ONE nerve left" scene ? Let our resident experts tell me if there is any similarity to what is going on here and now.

Edited one time
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, yeah, yesterday's scene was that. Today, though? M let off steam at the wrong time.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

shadowinthelight wrote:<Godzilla! Run!> *translated from Japanese*

Was it just me or did everyone hear when the read that. . . :lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
illiad

Post by illiad »

CraigR wrote:Monica: "I'm sorry, Calista. I was just having a temper tantrum because I wasn't getting my way."
Cricket: "Huh. I know you were once human, but in the Fae world, we have been taught that being a selfish diaper baby doesn't work by the time we get out of pre-school."
Monica: hey wait until you are a lot older kid, and have boyfriend issues... :/
Radical_Knight wrote:Who is the Master and who is the student? Phix, assuredly, is the Master, Monica is presently Novice-in-Training and Cricket is just a fledgling Padawan.
nope, monica is the *reluctant* padawan (who wishes she could just go back to being a *normal* boring human... ) .. Cricket is only there for 'how to be a decent person'... :/
Last edited by illiad on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Radio365 wrote:So how many times does this kind of stuff have to happen before she realizes that she should probably stop doing things impulsively?
Also, MAYBE try listening to your inner voice a bit more than your outer barista. Just a thought.
yeah, like you have never been yelled at by your boss, and then had to go out and crush something, so you do not commit murder... :evil:
Dave

Post by Dave »

donoho wrote:
I think:

There are no masters, only older, more experienced students.

Phix appeared to be a master when we first met her, but we've seen she's just another powerful being, with her own strengths and faults. She's far from perfect, but has been an amazing mentor for Monica and Shelly. Monica is on a similar path, as is Cricket, just at different points in time/experience.
I'm reminded a bit of the scientists of Norlamin, in Doc Smith's "Skylark of Space" space-opera of yore. They were highly advanced researchers, spending decades just learning the basics of their race's science, then spending a century or so specializing in a particular esoteric topic. Each one inherited all of the knowledge of his predecessor (typically, his father) via an electronic brain-to-brain download... thousands of years of research knowledge packed into each (large) brain.

They always referred to themselves, and each other as "student of such-and-such".

As to the relationships between Phix, Monica, and Calista, the important question isn't who is the master and who is the padawan. It is, who is the flunker, and who is the flunkee? 8-)