Deal With It 2014-11-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Deal With It 2014-11-24

Post by jwhouk »

I KNEW Phix would be involved in this.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Re: Deal With It 2014-11-24

Post by lake_wrangler »

Do you mean involved with the mess with Kevin? If so, I would disagree: this conversation is about Calista, not Kevin. Kevin is brought up merely as an example of why she thinks she is not a good role model for Calista, not to actually discuss her love live.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No, I knew Phix would have a comment on this.

And as for the Kevin thing? I have my suspicions w/r/t Phix...

I also suspect that Phix maybe under some... undue pressure?... to deal with Calista.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Ah. So by "this", you meant the very conversation about Monica's suitability as a mentor. In that case, just pretend I didn't say anything...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No, no, it's all good.

Now, we get a week or so of moping Monica dealing with Cricket, then a brief sojourn back to GHS, and then... Bud and Kevin are on their FIRST DATE???
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Tough love, huh?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Tough love, huh?
Yup. And a message about adulthood (paranormal or otherwise) - Things Out There In The World don't just go away, even when you desperately want a time-out.

Your current avatar - your grandkids? Cute!
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Who needs a to swing a clue-by-four when you have those teeth and claws?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Quoth the author on Facebook;
"Someone who has enough bad decisions to last 10k of Monica's lifetimes who just wants her to do her fucking job."

Monica is holding a pity party for herself and Phix is frankly sick of it. Monica is mopey about having broken Kevin's heart. Phix is tring to live down having eaten people who didn't deserve it. It's a matter of perspective, but from where Phix is standing, Monica's problems seem trivial by comparison to what she's been through, and what the possible consequences would be to everyone involved if Monica fails with Calista.

When Monica was a vanilla mortal with a few special powers, Phix treated her with kid gloves, as she would have a child. She now sees Monica as a contemporary, as an adult in the supernatural community, which is why she is getting frustrated that Monica won't accept her role and responsibility, put on her Big Girl Pants, and suck it up.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
Yup. And a message about adulthood (paranormal or otherwise) - Things Out There In The World don't just go away, even when you desperately want a time-out.

Your current avatar - your grandkids? Cute!
Yup. About three and one, i think.

I'm making a DVD for Kate's mother with selections from all the pics i've been saving since i first got a good digital camera (July 11), and Kate brought me some older pics of the girls, Helen and herself to scan and add.

I'm debating whether i have the nerve to post the one of Kate when she was one...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Boxilar wrote:
"Someone who has enough bad decisions to last 10k of Monica's lifetimes who just wants her to do her fucking job."

Monica is holding a pity party for herself and Phix is frankly sick of it. Monica is mopey about having broken Kevin's heart. Phix is tring to live down having eaten people who didn't deserve it. It's a matter of perspective, but from where Phix is standing, Monica's problems seem trivial by comparison to what she's been through, and what the possible consequences would be to everyone involved if Monica fails with Calista.

When Monica was a vanilla mortal with a few special powers, Phix treated her with kid gloves, as she would have a child. She now sees Monica as a contemporary, as an adult in the supernatural community, which is why she is getting frustrated that Monica won't accept her role and responsibility, put on her Big Girl Pants, and suck it up.
(/i by me)

Yup. Spot-on afa i am concerned. Phix is acutely aware of te results of bad decisions. Heck, she made herself a recluse in punishment, so Monica's self-indulgent whining (because that's what it is) is getting on her nerves, bad.

I also think Phix has a good idea why M and Calista should work together. Calista has a few things to teach Monica. Being an all-powerful Fae, and all (see the connection..)
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

FWIW, here's my two cents...

I think Monica was speaking more generally about all of it... Cricket, Jet, Kevin... and it appears that Phix was concentrating solely on the problem with Cricket. If you ask me, Monica oughta stand up and give Phix a rap on the beak... bring her down a notch or two. Or Three. As soon as she has Phix's attention, tell her in forceful terms that she feels she's been thrown in the deep end without being taught how to swim so to speak. I think all Monica is looking for is some guidance on how to deal with this mess. Not just Cricket, but all of it. Even though time has passed since realizing who and what she was, I'm not so sure she's really got a handle on exactly what her limitations are. As powerful as she knows she is, I don't blame her for wanting someone to help her out with a little information and maybe some training. She's been thrown way out of her comfort zone. Everything she's thought she was is being challenged. She's an omnipotent creature inside of a human shell forced to deal with things she isn't prepared to deal with. Parenting (cricket), Loss (Kevin) and a budding bisexuality (at least) with Jet. Up to this point (well, beginning with the reappearance of Jet at Mucho Mocha), Monica never believed she swung that way. Sure, we saw Mon and Shelly joke around a few times about it but nothing ever so serious. All of her self imposed notions about herself are being bent, broken, spindled and mutilated and she's scared shitless over it. She needs Phix's guidance to teach her how to deal and her assurance that she DOES have it within herself to produce a good outcome.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Phix knows M can do the job, it's just getting her to do the job, and learn a few things about herself, that's the difficult bit.
illiad

Post by illiad »

M needs a therapist, STAT!! :P
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I been waiting for her to go to Phix for advice. Trying once again to weasel out of being a mentor. I am sure seeing a lot of my old DI in Phix, he was a great therapist, lol. "Airman are we having a bad day? Do you miss your mama son? Did you come 2000 miles just to piss me off? Well buttercup thats what you did. Now drop and give me 20! You just thought you were having a bad day before!"
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
illiad

Post by illiad »

well 'army drill' wont work that well on civilians... she needs more positive female input....
or maybe Phix will turn round, thinking "gawd I'm being as bad as my tormentors, I should help the poor girl... :roll:

As I said recently.. someone like Euryale would help!! :D
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, it's not like Phix couldn't just keep wiping her face off, watch her regenerate, then do the exact same thing again - and again, and again, and again...

You know, I actually wonder something: if Phix were to "sphinx" on her (see Medeia), would that be the only way to "end" Monica? Or would M end up giving her the worst case of indigestion she's ever had?
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Cripes, Phix, no need to bite the woman's head off! (not as if doing so would be more than a temporary inconvenience, but still)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

DilyV wrote:FWIW, here's my two cents...

I think Monica was speaking more generally about all of it... Cricket, Jet, Kevin... and it appears that Phix was concentrating solely on the problem with Cricket. If you ask me, Monica oughta stand up and give Phix a rap on the beak... bring her down a notch or two. Or Three.
Last time she tried that Phix killed her. She came back but being dead hurts.
As soon as she has Phix's attention, tell her in forceful terms that she feels she's been thrown in the deep end without being taught how to swim so to speak. I think all Monica is looking for is some guidance on how to deal with this mess. Not just Cricket, but all of it. Even though time has passed since realizing who and what she was, I'm not so sure she's really got a handle on exactly what her limitations are. As powerful as she knows she is, I don't blame her for wanting someone to help her out with a little information and maybe some training. She's been thrown way out of her comfort zone. Everything she's thought she was is being challenged. She's an omnipotent creature inside of a human shell forced to deal with things she isn't prepared to deal with. Parenting (cricket), Loss (Kevin) and a budding bisexuality (at least) with Jet. Up to this point (well, beginning with the reappearance of Jet at Mucho Mocha), Monica never believed she swung that way. Sure, we saw Mon and Shelly joke around a few times about it but nothing ever so serious. All of her self imposed notions about herself are being bent, broken, spindled and mutilated and she's scared shitless over it. She needs Phix's guidance to teach her how to deal and her assurance that she DOES have it within herself to produce a good outcome.
[/quote]

This is not a someone looking for guidance. It's a whinny justification to get out of doing a job. Rather than trying to find a way to deal with Cricket she grabbed the current mess of her personal life and tried to use it as an excuse to get out of helping cricket. Of course she was conned into the job in the first place, but she did accept it in the end. Comparing Phix to a DI is a pretty good one. Phix is not going to let Monica cop out on the job. Nor cut her any slack just because Monica is having a bad day.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Boxilar wrote:

what the possible consequences would be to everyone involved if Monica fails with Calista.
I wonder why we think there will be world shaking problems for everyone if Cricket does not get help. Phix wanted her to get help because Cricket was showing signs of becoming a very unusual Fae who showed signs of compassion and caring. This is an attempt to help her become a kinder, gentler Fae when she eventually takes the throne. If it fails then cricket becomes just like the other fae. People have been dealing with fae a long time so Cricket won't be a spectacularly bad problem to deal with, just the usual fae issues.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.