Snowfall 2014-11-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Re: Snowfall 2014-11-19

Post by shadowinthelight »

@ meisdadoo,
I'm guessing you meant to written "Lo siento en mi alma"? Most literal translation possible, "(I) feel it in my soul". It's simple but still gets the sentiment across.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Even though Monica got what she wanted, there's still the collateral damage left behind.

I more than sympathize with the pain, and the anguish that Kevin is experiencing right now.

Even though Monica had the tits to say it Kevin to his face, she still tore his heart out.

For the very first time reading webcomics, I truly despise a character so much that I hope something horrible happens to them.
Congratulations sir. To be able to invoke such feelings, is a mark of a top notch creator/artist/writer. I can't wait to see what comes next.

I'm not posting this to be a snide prick or a troll. I wish you the best and pray your continued success and prosperity.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

:(
Leak

Post by Leak »

as363 wrote:When I saw the ladies talking - say the last few days in particular - it stuck in my mind. Then I came across this today . Just the ebb and flow between them seemed to strike home with this comic . I'll let you be the judge.

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/scrub_my_mind_harder
Well, at least they're talking about it - often enough characters do everything but that and you as the reader behind the fourth wall want to smack them around to get to talk, or leave it to other characters making a plan to that end... (needs a DeviantArt account, although the direct link to the image should bypass that...)
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Which leads to a sort of Turing Test - if the person feeling an emotion or urge or sensation cannot distinguish whether it is "real" or "artificial" - is there a difference?

"A distinction that makes no difference is no difference."

Consider these last two panels (the "he" she mentions is Justin) from the page Sidhekin linked a way upthread - not just the crack about hormones, but Bud's coffee dependence, which, if she were strictly a machine that just looks like a nineteen-year-old, is unlikely, to say the least:

Yeah, but the bit about vaporizing ceramic...

Acacia died, but her stubborn practicality survived the upload. She's a recompiled copy in a fancy machine, gods bless her. Alan Turing may not have considered the outcome where an AI simply refused to fool itself.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Talk about "not noticing" - i never even wondered how Monica, who (so far as we knew at the time) only had the income from her job at the museum, which - while it might be important and even professionally prestigious - i wouldn't expect to pay enough that she could afford All That Wine...

I mean, just what we can see is more than two hundred bottles.
She has credit cards and she knows how to use them. I'm not sure, but even Dietzel may know how to use them.

I think all this angst about Monica's changes and the plot's direction may be due to the suddenness in which it occurred. Almost like flipping a switch. There was little warm up to it all and some fans may have become irritated by that. They wished to register that irritation in the only way they know, on this forum. So I would not judge them too harshly for their parting shots.

Can't see not reading the comic though unless it pushes your buttons too much to do so. I mean it doesn't take much effort just to look at it, like it or not. Never know, all this may be a buildup to another totally unexpected epic arc with this part being just a quicky to set the stage for awesomeness. That, as opposed to dragging it all out, then finally going para-gang-busters again. Besides no writer can make all his work to be a page turner. Sometimes it just doesn't click. That's life. Besides, those readers will be back. They will be unable to help themselves. They may not post, but they'll be back.

The only thing I hope is that this is not a result of taking so much time on the new comic that Paul is coming up with something out-of-left-field to try to maintain interest here. Something with not much thought behind it. I'd rather see Wapsi go on hiatus for while than become an after thought. There are so many great things to explore in the Wapsi World. So many plot starts as yet left unfulfilled. Tina's thing with Bia and this business about light being a fiction. Bia's thing with her dad. Shelly and her G'ma Phix. Shelly's relationship with her dad and potential revelations for him about Bia (assuming it would be a revelation). He seemed to have knowledge of the dolls and their effects after all. Shelly's brothers. The on-going education of Calista. The elder gods. The demon world and their back story. Do they have a morning routine (brush teeth, shower, etc.)? The sphinx home world (if there is one) and this thing about them all coming from humans. The remaining Lanthian survivors and their activities. The origins of the Library and who or what really is in charge. And what about Naomi ... I mean, Nudge?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You know, it might have helped if the last few days had happened over a long period of time. Like, say, Calista's "shrinking lesson" happened months ago, and today's strip happened "weeks later".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Leak wrote:
as363 wrote:When I saw the ladies talking - say the last few days in particular - it stuck in my mind. Then I came across this today . Just the ebb and flow between them seemed to strike home with this comic . I'll let you be the judge.

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/scrub_my_mind_harder
Well, at least they're talking about it - often enough characters do everything but that and you as the reader behind the fourth wall want to smack them around to get to talk, or leave it to other characters making a plan to that end... (needs a DeviantArt account, although the direct link to the image should bypass that...)
Aaand now I want an 'I IZ GENIUS' shirt...

Just a couple of free floating thoughts...

Who here hasn't stayed too long in a relationship because it was easier than going through the break-up? I'll raise my own hand to that... (And dear M has shown a tendency to avoid things like this in the past)

And to Monica's wine collection and $500 coat - She's always had the Antique store and theres no telling what a lawsuit against the hospital might have set up for her.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The Lawsuit set her up for life, essentially.

I smell Jin's workings in that one, personally.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Jabberwonky wrote:And to Monica's wine collection and $500 coat - She's always had the Antique store and theres no telling what a lawsuit against the hospital might have set up for her.
Well, i forget if we knew about the store at that point, but i know we didn't know about the hospital rapes and settlement over it.

But an average antique store is probably not gonna bring in that much money.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:And to Monica's wine collection and $500 coat - She's always had the Antique store and theres no telling what a lawsuit against the hospital might have set up for her.
Well, i forget if we knew about the store at that point, but i know we didn't know about the hospital rapes and settlement over it.

An average antique store wouldn't bring in much money--but who said it was average?

Some things to consider:

Monica spent a lot of time in a mental hospital--very expensive in the US. Her family had to have money, and lots of it--before there was a settlement from the hospital.

Her Grand Pa was an archeologist and left her his "Indian Jones-ish" hand howitzer, aka "target pistol". A slight indication that not all of the trinkets found ended up in a museum.

And once you learn how to "Poit" picking up loose change is rather easy--and no I don't mean stealing, even though that would be really easy as well.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
OneOddDuck

Post by OneOddDuck »

shadowinthelight wrote:Genderflipped Megatokyo: sad boy in snow.
YES!
"I was not tested for normality before I was entrusted with this mission," said Suriyawong. "But I have no doubt that I would fail such a test." --Shadow Puppets
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I've gone back and looked at today's page again a few times.

It's some of Paul's best work. Even if you knew nothing about Wapsi, or what had just happened, you'd get the essential information. The guy has just suffered some kind of loss and is out wandering in the snow. The girl cares about him and is worried for him. This page transcends the comic as a whole and is its own peice of art.

As to some other stuff. Some folks have said some particularly unkind things about Monica. She really doesn't deserve them. She's not innocent. She refused to recognise that she was using him and never let him get close to her. It's a shitty situation, but as usual in Wapsi, the people truly responsible are dead and gone, and the living are left to pick up the pieces.
AnotherFairportfan

meisdadoo wrote:Monica spent a lot of time in a mental hospital--very expensive in the US. Her family had to have money, and lots of it--before there was a settlement from the hospital.
Maybe. However, i suspect the hospital was in Mexico, though i'm not sure how much difference that makes. And from what we know about what went on in the hospital, it may well have been, shall we say, a less-than-topflight establishment.
Her Grand Pa was an archeologist and left her his "Indian Jones-ish" hand howitzer, aka "target pistol". A slight indication that not all of the trinkets found ended up in a museum.
Not sure G'Pa was an archaeologist - more of a soldier-of-fortune/adventurer type, i get the impression.
And once you learn how to "Poit" picking up loose change is rather easy--and no I don't mean stealing, even though that would be really easy as well.
Had she learnt to poit at that point? I don't think she had.

Even if she had, it wasn't more than a few months or weeks since she learnt, and she'd obviously been putting together that wine accumulation - and the house it's in - for years before that point in time.

And even if we allow that at that point she was poiting around the world accumulating goodis for the shop, she definitely hadn't learnt the trick at the time of the $500 coat incident.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

shadowinthelight wrote:@ meisdadoo,
I'm guessing you meant to written "Lo siento en mi alma"? Most literal translation possible, "(I) feel it in my soul". It's simple but still gets the sentiment across.
The spanish idioms vary slightly from country to country, but the meanings usually remain the same.

All that aside, Kevin isn't saying anything right now because now matter how it was said; the fates have just handed him this:

The girl you thought might be "the one"; is not.
It is over, and there is Nothing you can do about that.
She spent time with you to only fill her physical needs, and could NEVER be emotionally close to you/honestly intimate with her feelings--actually care about or for you--even if she wanted to, which she doesn't.
She needs and/or loves someone else that you physically cannot compete with--you don't have the right plumbing/parts.
At some level you knew this day would come, you just didn't know it would be so soon.
You know that the bleeding will eventually stop, but this is going to leave a permanent scar on your heart.

Right now, more than anything else, Kevin needs someone that knows how much this hurts. Someone that can validate his feelings and guide him through the process. and he needs a big cup of hot Cocoa (chocolate). and a hug.

Que lastima . . .
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: . . . and she'd obviously been putting together that wine accumulation - and the house it's in - for years before that point in time.
Excellent points, but are we sure she was the one collecting the wine? I mean when/how did she acquire the house?
Perhaps, the wine was already in the house when she inherited it?
I really don't know.
Time for this old dog to go sit in the confusion corner and contemplate something less exhausting.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

See, everyone is distracted by all that wine when the dark unspoken truth is there as plain as hell:

Kevin never changed the lightbulb.

And so, here we are.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
DoctorOverlord

Post by DoctorOverlord »

eee wrote:
KnightDelight wrote: Besides, it might not be good for Bud to be wearing her goober hat with the earflaps to this meeting.
She is adorable in that goober hat and I will stand for no one saying otherwise!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Well, i forget if we knew about the store at that point, but i know we didn't know about the hospital rapes and settlement over it.

M and Amanda were paddling through a box from Roy in the second episode...

And it was successful enough to keep Roy out of the country most of the time... *shrugs*
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
AnotherFairportfan

DoctorOverlord wrote:
eee wrote:
KnightDelight wrote: Besides, it might not be good for Bud to be wearing her goober hat with the earflaps to this meeting.
She is adorable in that goober hat and I will stand for no one saying otherwise!
Especially in the panel when she's running out to confound Justin and his partner the first time - i said at the time that it looked like Goofie's run, and Paul said (as i recall) that that was whay he was going for.