Too Grounded 2014-11-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Too Grounded 2014-11-18

Post by lake_wrangler »

I'm trying to get a prophecy fulfilled...

Bring on the silly hats!
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Too Grounded 2014-11-18

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

oookkayyy...

Sometimes normal people are too normal for weird people in the long run.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Having said that... now the real post:

Is it me, or does Kevin look younger, in today's comic?

I'm also glad that they had a talk, and that he apparently took it so well. But I can't figure out what Monica's going to do with that information (i.e. having now seen his reaction - in-between panels) now.

The fact is, that many times we will think that our SO does not deserve such as mess as us, but in reality, we need such an influence as theirs, in our own lives...
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:Having said that... now the real post:

Is it me, or does Kevin look younger, in today's comic?
Kinda, yeah. Maybe it's his fundamental innocence showing through, as a sort of contrast to the accumulated pain and confusion Monica is feeling?
I'm also glad that they had a talk, and that he apparently took it so well. But I can't figure out what Monica's going to do with that information (i.e. having now seen his reaction - in-between panels) now.

The fact is, that many times we will think that our SO does not deserve such as mess as us, but in reality, we need such an influence as theirs, in our own lives...
And, sometimes, "They don't deserve to have to put up with somebody as screwed up as I am" can be a form of cop-out, dressed up as self-sacrifice. It can be an excuse "not to deal" - a way to just walk away from our mistakes rather than go back and clean them up. This isn't always true, of course... but sometimes...

Anyhow, I think it's good Monica told him the truth about what happened. Regardless of whether the two of them stay together or not, that expression of honesty is going to be an important part of Monica's own healing process.

Considering what Monica is going through right now, she probably can't see the "flip side" of the coin... how much she really does mean to Kevin, how valuable she is in his life... even as screwed up as she is (or believes herself to be). Maybe the time will come when he decides the time is right to say "I need you."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

lake_wrangler wrote:I'm trying to get a prophecy fulfilled...

Bring on the silly hats!
Now really -- you had a full day in the Pun Jar with a wheelbarrow. If you didn't get any hats, silly or otherwise, it's your own fault.

Meanwhile, Monica seems to be over correcting a bit by giving Kevin the "It's not you, it's me" speech. Sometimes horrible backgrounds can make for wonderful results with the right companion. She hasn't inflicted herself on Kevin -- she invited him in, and he's been welcomed! Who else would have handled that trip to the Paranor Mall so well?

OK, M -- get your breath and start thinking again. This is Not a Jet vs Kevin choice you're facing!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Monday, Wednesday and Friday, Kevin's place.

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, hang with Jet.

Sunday, recuperate.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Maybe the grounded boy needs the earthy girl?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

The more powerful the person the more they need someone to keep them from believing their own hype.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Atomic wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:I'm trying to get a prophecy fulfilled...

Bring on the silly hats!
Now really -- you had a full day in the Pun Jar with a wheelbarrow. If you didn't get any hats, silly or otherwise, it's your own fault.
Who says I didn't? But it doesn't mean I'll be sharing it/them... So you still would have to bring your own. :twisted:

So like I said: bring on the silly hats! :D

(And I'm not telling you what else I brought back, either... :twisted:
Mostly because words fail me at describing it... :? )

But now that you mention it, maybe that's how I managed to start three daily threads in a row... 8-)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

oldmanmickey wrote:The more powerful the person the more they need someone to keep them from believing their own hype.
In Monica's case, she believes herself to be powerfully messed up...
Radio365

Post by Radio365 »

Guys I think this is finally too much. Like seriously, where did any of the past 5 updates come from? Was any of this even HINTED at at any point before the past 3 months? 2 months?

I get reader baiting, but surely there's a better way to do it.
AnotherFairportfan

shadowinthelight wrote:Maybe the grounded boy needs the earthy girl?
Can't get much earthier than clay.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

lake_wrangler wrote:...he apparently took it so well.
Yeah, well. I "apparently took it well" when my GF broke up with me; eight years later, I'm still in a downward spiral of self-loathing. Now I'm not saying that the same will happen to Kevin; just saying that while he's being the Good Guy now, after he's stewed in his thoughts for a while...I guess we'll see how well he's taking it. Or not, if Paul isn't interested in showing that.
Last edited by MerchManDan on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Ouch. The fact that Kevin was so understanding makes it hurt even more. Now imagine that one of your golem girl best friends is going to pick up the slack... This CAN'T turn out good.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
AnotherFairportfan

DilyV wrote:Ouch. The fact that Kevin was so understanding makes it hurt even more. Now imagine that one of your golem girl best friends is going to pick up the slack... This CAN'T turn out good.
Actually, i dunno - i think Monica would be happy for Bud, and probably Kevin, too.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
DilyV wrote:Ouch. The fact that Kevin was so understanding makes it hurt even more. Now imagine that one of your golem girl best friends is going to pick up the slack... This CAN'T turn out good.
Actually, i dunno - i think Monica would be happy for Bud, and probably Kevin, too.
"We're through, but here, have a Bud!"
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

I'm hardly a relationship expert, and I don't want to step on Paul's ownership of characters, but if these were real people, I sincerely doubt that there would be any "right" reaction for Kevin to have. Monica is into Jet, and she needed an out. If he hadn't been sweet but had exploded, she just as easily could be complaining about how she hated him because she went to him seeking support and didn't get it.

TlalocW
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

MerchManDan wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:...he apparently took it so well.
Yeah, well. I "apparently took it well" when my GF broke up with me; eight years later, I'm still in a downward spiral of self-loathing. Now I'm not saying that the same will happen to Kevin; just saying that while he's being the Good Guy now, after he's stewed in his thoughts for a while...I guess we'll see how well he's taking it. Or not, if Paul isn't interested in showing that.
And that's part of why I'm shipping Kevacia? Acavin? It's easier to get over it if someone else is showing you they love you (in theory, at least).
Last edited by shadowinthelight on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Radio365 wrote:Guys I think this is finally too much. Like seriously, where did any of the past 5 updates come from? Was any of this even HINTED at at any point before the past 3 months? 2 months?

I get reader baiting, but surely there's a better way to do it.
Well, yeah, the seeds of this were sown quite some time back.

If you go back 13-14 months you'll find the whole sequence where Georgette resurfaces (after years of virtual absence). That's where we learn that Georgette has a hidden "thing" for Monica, that Georgette was raped as a child, that Monica was repeated raped as a 14/15-year-old, and that both Monica and Georgette had concealed what had been done to them (Monica from her adult friends; Georgette from absolutely everyone). I think this "shared horror" has a lot to do with the strength/bond that has now surfaced in a big way.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/not-alone/

The fact that Monica was sexually somewhat "bossy" towards Kevin, we saw at least hinted at once before, years ago, when she dragged him into bed after he returned from vacation.

The fact that Monica kept Kevin at an emotional distance, and wasn't really being open and honest with him... we saw that years ago, when Monica accidentally did a hung-over POIT which tossed Bud and Kevin into bed together. It was only then, confronted with the (apparent) loss of Kevin's sexual exclusivity, that Monica was prodded into telling him how much he meant to her (and, incidentally, telling him Word One about her involvement with the paranormal). If I remember correctly, that was well before the Calendar Machine smackdown... maybe five years ago??

So, this does feel like an abrupt blow-up which sorta came out of nowhere... but actually, all of the interpersonal dynamics that have come together here, are ones which have been developing (or at least hinted at) for a minimum of one year (our time).

I don't recall M/K's sexual relationship being depicted as quite as disfunctional as Georgette has made it out to be (and as Monica seems to be saying, now), not that we've seen it in great detail though.
TlalocW wrote:I'm hardly a relationship expert, and I don't want to step on Paul's ownership of characters, but if these were real people, I sincerely doubt that there would be any "right" reaction for Kevin to have. Monica is into Jet, and she needed an out. If he hadn't been sweet but had exploded, she just as easily could be complaining about how she hated him because she went to him seeking support and didn't get it.

TlalocW
I think I agree. I'm sorta reading the "I hate him" as "I hate the situation I'm in, with respect to him". That had to be a really difficult disclosure for her... both painful and embarrassing. In a sense she's seriously in his debt for having been less-than-honest with him about herself all these years... and his being reasonable and supportive and forgiving, just makes the debt worse.
AnotherFairportfan

Also remember that one page where Georgette hunted Monica up to specifically say they ought to hang together, which was some time before the Tar.