Steampunk Atsali 2014-10-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Nice outfit :)

I'm a little worried it is very narrow at the waist (corset?), or is Atsali naturally that small around the middle? (maybe it's a Siren thing)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
MerchManDan

Re: Steampunk Atsali 2014-10-19

Post by MerchManDan »

Considering Paul's drawing style, her waist doesn't seem much narrower than usual; the corset/bodice just defines it more.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Enhances her upper superstructure, which makes the waist look even smaller.

I really hope that the second "steampunk" pin-up is of Atsali about three years in the future - while more than one fifteen or sixteen year old i've known would wear an outfit like that if their mothers would let them, i do think it's a bit too cheese-cake-y for a somewhat naive fifteen year old to be wearing - especially one who is already saddled with the Wapsiverse popular view of a Siren.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
illiad

Post by illiad »

hey reminds me of another Minneapolis girl, with a 3-figure measurement!! :D :twisted:
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Grantwhy wrote:Steampunk Atsali 2014-10-19

Nice outfit :)

I'm a little worried it is very narrow at the waist (corset?), or is Atsali naturally that small around the middle? (maybe it's a Siren thing)
She was always quite slender for the most part, it's just that now she has a bit of extra Atsali added on here and there to the original chassis, and that makes it look much thinner in comparison.

Atsali's one of those gals for whom a bodice is somewhat superfluous. Rather like Monica and push-up bras.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Enhances her upper superstructure, which makes the waist look even smaller.

I really hope that the second "steampunk" pin-up is of Atsali about three years in the future - while more than one fifteen or sixteen year old i've known would wear an outfit like that if their mothers would let them, i do think it's a bit too cheese-cake-y for a somewhat naive fifteen year old to be wearing - especially one who is already saddled with the Wapsiverse popular view of a Siren.
Something about her face gives me the sense that she's being portrayed here in her early to mid-20s.

As to the tightness of her waist... some extremely narrow corsets were very much the fashion during the Victorian era, and I think I recall reading that some women adopting the steampunk look have occasionaly followed this old trend.

There's a reason that women in those times had a reputation for fainting. Those tight whalebone corsets restricted the ability to breathe (like Atsali's self-wrapping) and were actually so tight that they tended to force a women's abdominal organs upwards within the body cavity, further restricting breathing and blood circulation.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:As to the tightness of her waist... some extremely narrow corsets were very much the fashion during the Victorian era, and I think I recall reading that some women adopting the steampunk look have occasionaly followed this old trend.

There's a reason that women in those times had a reputation for fainting. Those tight whalebone corsets restricted the ability to breathe (like Atsali's self-wrapping) and were actually so tight that they tended to force a women's abdominal organs upwards within the body cavity, further restricting breathing and blood circulation.
Also greatly increasing the health hazards of pregnancy and delivery.

And since you had to be relatively wealthy to be able to afford the "good" corsets that would get you the highly fashionable 12-inch waist...
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Nice tip 'o the hat to Perfessers Kaja and Phil Foglio and Girl Genius. ;)
Thor

Post by Thor »

I think this is the first time that Atsali has been pictured with hair that could actually exist in 3D space.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Her other hairdos could too, with the application of enough styling products. ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Thor wrote:I think this is the first time that Atsali has been pictured with hair that could actually exist in 3D space.
Bellisario's Maxim
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Thor

Post by Thor »

MerchManDan wrote:Her other hairdos could too, with the application of enough styling products. ;)
Not true. Atsali's normal hairstyle changes direction relative to the 4th Wall. No matter which way she is facing, her hair is always pointed either camera-right or camera left--never directly at or directly away from the camera. It's impossible to render in 3D space, as 3D space allows for the possibility of multiple angles of observation.