Eclipse

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Eclipse

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

First frame with the 200 mm, the rest with the 500 mm. I mis-estimated the exposures, and it was getting cloudier by the minute. (And i should have been shooting RAW - i might have been able to get something better out of them. Well, there's always next year.) Under each is a link to a rather bigger version - roughly 300K each.

http://electronictiger.net/moon/1.jpg

http://electronictiger.net/moon/2.jpg

http://electronictiger.net/moon/3.jpg

http://electronictiger.net/moon/4.jpg
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Grantwhy

Re: Eclipse

Post by Grantwhy »

Living here on the North-East Coast of Australia, I got a pretty good, cloud free, look at the eclipse :)

Even sat Mum in her wheelchair (I'm her full time carer) and we sat out the back of the house eating dinner and watching the moon change.

No so much red as orange at it's peak, but nice to watch.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
AnotherFairportfan

Next time i shoot with the 200 exclusively, and i shoot RAW.

(And i may have snuck another camera upgrade past Kate - from the Nikon 3200 to a 5300)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

AnotherFairportfan wrote:(And i may have snuck another camera upgrade past Kate - from the Nikon 3200 to a 5300)
...and then again, maybe not - i just looked at prices on the 5300 (even used) and trade-ins KEH would offer on the 3200.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:(And i may have snuck another camera upgrade past Kate - from the Nikon 3200 to a 5300)
...and then again, maybe not - i just looked at prices on the 5300 (even used) and trade-ins KEH would offer on the 3200.
I just looked at eBay, and the Nikon D5300, Body Only, goes for anywhere between $500 and $750 or so (looking at "Sold Listings"). Assuming you would keep the lenses from the D3100, that's not all that bad. And the D3100, body only, can sell anywhere between $100 and $200 or so. If you play your cards right, you might still get something decent, for not too much.
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
I just looked at eBay, and the Nikon D5300, Body Only, goes for anywhere between $500 and $750 or so (looking at "Sold Listings"). Assuming you would keep the lenses from the D3100, that's not all that bad. And the D3100, body only, can sell anywhere between $100 and $200 or so. If you play your cards right, you might still get something decent, for not too much.
Best price that i found on eBay is for a factory-refurbed body selling for $599. Anything less than that that isn't flat-out used (which i wouldn't buy on eBay) is shipping from Hong Kong and i shudder to think about the customs duties i'd probably get stuck with.

KEH's buying quote on the 3200 is ~$220 (for "Excellent" condition). I've sold two cameras to KEH (and actually got more in the end than their on-line quote engine came up with), and bought assorted gear from them for more than twenty years, so i'd be selling to them even if i bought on-line.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Well, good luck, then. I hope you find something affordable.
AnotherFairportfan

This one's gonna be trickier to get past Kate than the previous one, where the trade-in for my Olympus 620 was $225 and the Nikon 3200 was only $450...