Antifreeze 2012-09-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
davids4250

Re: Antifreeze 2012-09-21

Post by davids4250 »

Monica has been Gorgonized three times now. You've gotta wonder how many people have survived being zapped three times, and what the cumulative effect might be.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Lupine

Post by Lupine »

I know it's a long shot, Pablo probably didn't show the kiss because we've seen it before. However, has anyone considered the possibility that Euryale hasn't given her the kiss yet? If that's the (unlikely) case, we might be seeing another evolution of Monica's powers, maybe an immunity to or an ability to undo the 'magical' effects of some beings.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity - Lazarus Long (aka RA Heinlein)
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Bit confused on this page. Is Bud running up and witnessing the 'antifreeze', or did Bud actually help as Euryale requested? Bud and Euryale's expressions make it a little difficult to decipher (not that it really matters).
nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

Well considering Bud can breath plasma, I'll bet she had a hand in defrosting the water around Monica and Eurayle. It looks like the aftermath of Bud bending over to free them from the water, and Bud going into her patented WTH expression.

And anyone else getting the feeling Monica hasn't learned the lesson of not shocking the Gorgon? I mean she's bound to get it after 3 or 4 (more) times.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

rootwalla wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:"I'm'a hide Right Here in Mommy's hair till the Scary Clay Lady goes away..."
Heh, I want to pencil in a tiny voice bubble from the snake, saying: "...wasn't me!" :))
Very good, both of you. I, too, thought it would be funny to have a little dialog balloon for the snake, then I realized their part of the overall dialog is all contained in their expressions. It's their charm and what makes them so cute. However, sharing ideas here on what they might be thinking is fine. Paul's not putting in thought balloons for the snakes allows us to enjoy a "make your own joke" moment.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Dave

Post by Dave »

nerf-dweller wrote:Well considering Bud can breath plasma, I'll bet she had a hand in defrosting the water around Monica and Eurayle. It looks like the aftermath of Bud bending over to free them from the water, and Bud going into her patented WTH expression.
And that brings up a point I've only just considered.

At the rate they've been going lately, Monica and Shelly and Bud and the rest of the crew seem likely to use up the entire available world supply of WhatTheHell within the next few months. They're burning through Boggle at an astonishing rate, and (in attempting to correct for this) using up most of the free-market stocks of Sanguine as well.

I'm not sure where this is going to leave the rest of us... scraping stale bits of Meh and OhWell out of the bottom of cardboard containers in the back of the freezer, I suppose.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

nerf-dweller wrote:Well considering Bud can breath plasma, I'll bet she had a hand in defrosting the water around Monica and Eurayle. It looks like the aftermath of Bud bending over to free them from the water, and Bud going into her patented WTH expression.

And anyone else getting the feeling Monica hasn't learned the lesson of not shocking the Gorgon? I mean she's bound to get it after 3 or 4 (more) times.
Some people take longer than others to learn things, I guess.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

NOTDilbert wrote:Well, close - my mom taught English Literature in High School. So not only was I exposed to The Bard the year I actually took Lit, but also every semester during Lesson Planning......
One of my faves - which some poor souls just slogged through as a required chore.

Also: to simulated the sounds of mixed conversations, pair off the extras, and have one softly say "Natter, natter, natter" and the other "grommish, grommish, grommish." Or not softly. It works as long as everyone keeps the same volume....

Is that where Tricky Dick cribbed the "Nattering Nabobs of Negativism"?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote: And that brings up a point I've only just considered.

At the rate they've been going lately, Monica and Shelly and Bud and the rest of the crew seem likely to use up the entire available world supply of WhatTheHell within the next few months. They're burning through Boggle at an astonishing rate, and (in attempting to correct for this) using up most of the free-market stocks of Sanguine as well.

I'm not sure where this is going to leave the rest of us... scraping stale bits of Meh and OhWell out of the bottom of cardboard containers in the back of the freezer, I suppose.

That's it Dave, you are cut off from using the thesaurus table.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Mark N wrote:That's it Dave, you are cut off from using the thesaurus table.

I've often wondered: Is there another word for "Thesaurus"?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

bmonk wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Well, close - my mom taught English Literature in High School. So not only was I exposed to The Bard the year I actually took Lit, but also every semester during Lesson Planning......
One of my faves - which some poor souls just slogged through as a required chore.

Also: to simulated the sounds of mixed conversations, pair off the extras, and have one softly say "Natter, natter, natter" and the other "grommish, grommish, grommish." Or not softly. It works as long as everyone keeps the same volume....

Actually Agnew was the one that used that term.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

bmonk wrote:
Mark N wrote:That's it Dave, you are cut off from using the thesaurus table.
I've often wondered: Is there another word for "Thesaurus"?
Steven Wright would like a word with you... (Which one, he's not sure...)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
stjen

Post by stjen »

davids4250 wrote:Monica has been Gorgonized three times now. You've gotta wonder how many people have survived being zapped three times, and what the cumulative effect might be.
Ah, thank you -- I was wondering if anyone was keeping track of how frequently M gets frozen by Euryale. Now -- is it true that every time M and E get together, M usually gets frozen at least once?
Dave

Post by Dave »

stjen wrote:
davids4250 wrote:Monica has been Gorgonized three times now. You've gotta wonder how many people have survived being zapped three times, and what the cumulative effect might be.
Ah, thank you -- I was wondering if anyone was keeping track of how frequently M gets frozen by Euryale. Now -- is it true that every time M and E get together, M usually gets frozen at least once?
It's somewhere around 60% probable at this point, I think. There were at least two Monica/Euryale meet-ups (both starting at Mucho Mocha) during which Monica didn't get frozen. On one occasion she was already badly banged up (volcano and mine explosions) and on the other occasion she left grumpy and irritated (no answer to the vimana cell puzzle).

Come to think of it, both times she was not frozen, were when she met Euryale in the immediate presence of other people. It's when there's nobody else right nearby that the tense/angry/startled moments occur, and Euryale accidentally iceflashes her.

So, at this point, it seems that when Monica meets Euryale, it's almost certainly at a traumatic node in her life's path. Then again, that's true for most people Monica meets :? as she does not live a particularly peaceful life.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I like today's art. Up till now, Eyrale has been letting her hair down (in a herpatological sense) and now that she's got a world crushing golem upset with her in a state of near panic, she's back in buttoned down mode. And I think that blush is warranted. She's not just embarrassed, she's mortified. She's well aware that she cut this one way to close and nearly killed her hero. At the moment she's lucky that Bud is too scared to get angry.

And I think this whole chain of events illustrates the difference in the way Bud and Eyrale see Monica.

To Eyrale, Monica is a Hero to be put on a pedastal. The Gorgon Knows the great deeds M has been part of and has trouble seeing her as the flawed human being she is. It explains her outbursts when Monica dosen't live up to her expectations.

Monica has been through a lot since becoming the GGGs caretaker. She's been under a lot of stress. As combat veterans can tell you, everyone has their breaking point, and that point varies with the individual.

Monica said she's been "pulling the tail of lions who tollerate her' but I think treating Phix, a close friend, as a big fuzzy human was one of M's coping mechanisims. Seeing Phix in full feral mode shattered the illusion and brought the reality of what she's been involved in crashing down on her head.

Eyrale is sweet and means well, but can't really see the world from Monica's perspective.

Bud can. She's been human. She knows how flawed humans can be, and how good they can be, too. Monica is that to her. Monica has complete control over the GGGs and has only ever exercised it twice. Once was to order Bud to tell her what happened with the Lathian priests, the second was to grant the girls free will so they could live human lives. Monica has never treated Bud, Brandi or even Jin as anything other than human. She's aurgued with them, fought with them and comforted them, but she's never used her power over them, even when Jin probably deserved a little humbling, at least from Monica's perspective.

Bud, despite her incredible power, can empathize with Monica in a way that Eyrale can't. I think Bud and Shelly (another human turned awesomely powerful immortal) are going to be the key to easing Monica back into the supernatural, if she can be eased back at all.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Opus the Poet wrote:
bmonk wrote:

Actually Agnew was the one that used that term.
"To natter" generally means to blather on and on, and the term already existed befor David Gerrold's book on ST:TOS came out in the early 70's (?), where I believe he coined the term "nattering and grommishing" - or at least got it widely printed first.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:"To natter" generally means to blather on and on, and the term already existed befor David Gerrold's book on ST:TOS came out in the early 70's (?), where I believe he coined the term "nattering and grommishing" - or at least got it widely printed first.
"Natter" has been a common term in SF fandom about as long as there's been SF fandom.

"Natter" in that context is the part of the content of a fanzine* that isn't fiction, articles, reviews or other sercon** material.

================

* Obviously, a "magazine" published by a "fan", right? Term originated in SF fandom, but spread to a lot of other groups/fandoms - mysteries, music and others.

** Another "portmanteau word" (thank you, Lewis Carroll) - From "serious" and "constructive". Both "natter" and "sercon" may be used approvingly or derisively...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Fairportfan, may I congratulate you for achieving another Forum First - a post that requires footnotes to be clearly understood! Well done!

Next up - Endnote citations of referenced works.

Yes, Wapsi Square fandom continues to break new ground in blogging!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

We have a pun vault and PunPal(tm), and now footnotes.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

Will we soon begin to need toenotes for the footnotes?
ImageImage