Soften her up 2014-09-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
txmystic

Re: Soften her up 2014-09-16

Post by txmystic »

Maybe try the hug and cookie approach first next time...

At first I could not understand why Mon was coming across in her scary demon shepherdess/jaguar girl persona because Calista was already kind of fragile and frightened...but now I'm coming around to the idea that she still thinks people want to see her as a short,cute, well-endowed marshmallow and she wants to put a stop to that...
Dave

Post by Dave »

txmystic wrote:At first I could not understand why Mon was coming across in her scary demon shepherdess/jaguar girl persona because Calista was already kind of fragile and frightened...but now I'm coming around to the idea that she still thinks people want to see her as a short,cute, well-endowed marshmallow and she wants to put a stop to that...
Remember that Monica was pitched into this mentoring job by Phix, who made a big point of stressing how powerful and dangerous the Fae are, and that Monca is one of the very few beings who (1) were powerful enough to deal with a rogue Fae and (2) would care enough to do so.

I'm with those readers who've concluded that Monica misjudged the situation to some extent. She doesn't seem to have really appreciated how emotionally sensitive Calista is "inside" and how fragile Calista had become. I think Monica was addressing her tactics to the "brash tough street-kid" Calista, who we now know was really just a facade. Atsali saw this but I don't think Monica really caught the sense of what Atsali was saying.

Monica was, in effect, "set up" on this job with the expectation that she'd have to use "shock and awe" tactics to establish her authority and get Cricket to take her seriously... and now, those tactics (and the way that "demons will be demons" and refuse to be "tamed") have pushed Cricket's buttons a bit too hard.
illiad

Post by illiad »

well castela didn't help!!!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Dave wrote:
txmystic wrote:At first I could not understand why Mon was coming across in her scary demon shepherdess/jaguar girl persona because Calista was already kind of fragile and frightened...but now I'm coming around to the idea that she still thinks people want to see her as a short,cute, well-endowed marshmallow and she wants to put a stop to that...
Remember that Monica was pitched into this mentoring job by Phix, who made a big point of stressing how powerful and dangerous the Fae are, and that Monca is one of the very few beings who (1) were powerful enough to deal with a rogue Fae and (2) would care enough to do so.

I'm with those readers who've concluded that Monica misjudged the situation to some extent. She doesn't seem to have really appreciated how emotionally sensitive Calista is "inside" and how fragile Calista had become. I think Monica was addressing her tactics to the "brash tough street-kid" Calista, who we now know was really just a facade. Atsali saw this but I don't think Monica really caught the sense of what Atsali was saying.

Monica was, in effect, "set up" on this job with the expectation that she'd have to use "shock and awe" tactics to establish her authority and get Cricket to take her seriously... and now, those tactics (and the way that "demons will be demons" and refuse to be "tamed") have pushed Cricket's buttons a bit too hard.
Ok i think yall are missing a couple of clues here. I belive this went almost exactly how M had it planned. She understood perfectly what Atsali was saying. Thats why the first person that Calista is going to run into is going to be Atsali. She was invited to help her new found friend on her first day of mentoring and will arrive just in time for the runaway to run into her. She will act as the go between for Aunt Monica and Calista.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

illiad wrote:well castela didn't help!!!
Castela didn't show up until after Monica left.

Of course, Monica could have heard about that incident later.

But what I take from that is that Calista can bluff-and-tough and then bounce back from lots of stuff... just not through someone threatening to lock her up for her own (and everyone else's) good.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's also claustrophobic. (And pretty much every space is a lot bigger when you're 4 inches tall.)
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

I can't recall if there's been a single arc since last August where someone didn't get their their psychological defenses shattered.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Given the look on Calista's face in the third panel from yesterday's comic, I would say she has a look of realization. True or not, I believe she now has the impression that these beings are just playing with her. That's she is nothing more than a living toy and they are having fun at her expense. This includes Monica. They were engaging in a wee bit too much frivolity regarding the trauma they just put her through, joking like that. It was NOT funny to her. Not in the least. She probably feels none of them are taking this mentoring seriously as she had come to expect when all this started. In fact she may think she is the only one taking the whole affair seriously. I don't believe she is running in fear or anguish, but because her feelings have been hurt and she has experienced a big letdown as far as the vaunted Jaguar Girl is concerned. She actually wants to be a better person, but she does not like being the brunt of the joke.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I wonder what Doubt means, by "I'm pulling for you, in my own way."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

lake_wrangler wrote:I wonder what Doubt means, by "I'm pulling for you, in my own way."
She's Doubt. She can't have her thinking she's completely confident she can do this, now, can she?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

lake_wrangler wrote:I wonder what Doubt means, by "I'm pulling for you, in my own way."
She is wishing Monica luck, but will still make her question her every move. That's Doubt's job, it is what she does.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

It just occurred to me that it's good Calista's demons don't have wings -- otherwise, one of them might say:
  • "I am the terror that flaps in the night!"
Of course if they did, then Monica could advise:
  • "You got trouble? Then call DW!"

I'll stop now.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Atomic wrote:It just occurred to me that it's good Calista's demons don't have wings -- otherwise, one of them might say:
  • "I am the terror that flaps in the night!"
Of course if they did, then Monica could advise:
  • "You got trouble? Then call DW!"

I'll stop now.
Yeah, Tina is DW.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!