Before She Melts 2012-09-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: Before She Melts 2012-09-20

Post by Yamara »

Euryale could keep giving M a freeze-stare until help arrives, so melting needn't really be a thing.

The real problem is this repeat performance. I thought Euryale had a bit better of a grip on her danger: teasing Jin with a hug, shaming Monica into facing fear to save a friendship.

Though come to think of it, she only unleashes the Full Gorgon when something at the Library is involved. Maybe something there deeply upset her once upon a time.

And Nudge is deep in dot-connection mode. It seems that threat to lie to Phix was not meant for Monica.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

I see Monica fell square in the middle of the Sarchasm*.

On another note - next page may be borderline NSFW if it involves a bikini-clad Euryale thawing out a bikini-clad Monica...especially as the straps of Monica's bikini may have melted first...

*No, that's not a typo. Sarchasm (n): The distance between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who didn't get it.

(Drops a CD with a copy of my personal word processor dictionary file on it into the pun vault's media saver)
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

CraigR wrote:They better hurry, or Monica is gonna lose her toes and fingers. The smallest bits melt first.

This has been bothering me for a while: Could Euryale freeze someone, let them melt, collect the water, pour it in an ice mold shaped like the person, freeze it, and then revive them?
One thing I don't get is why did the water freeze? The water isn't a living being as such. So does that mean rocks would freeze if she did it to them?

Anyway, I guess it would depend on the structure of the "ice" as created by the queen of the icy stare. It could be that it has, encoded in it's crystalline patterns, a matrix of interconnecting structures and sub-structures representing the biological structure of the body as it was at the moment of freezing. If that is so, then the melting would destroy the human-shaped ice matrix "memory storage", subsequently making it impossible to reconstruct the body as it was.

OTOH, if it's all "magic," then, what the hell, sure, it would work. Though you might get something like the golems. The body is no longer human, but the soul is somehow still inside and the result still looks like the original. Of course such a being might be able to instantly freeze water by touching it or become something akin to that silly super hero who surfed on an ice sheet he created just in front of his surfboard, whatever his name was.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

CraigR wrote:They better hurry, or Monica is gonna lose her toes and fingers. The smallest bits melt first.

This has been bothering me for a while: Could Euryale freeze someone, let them melt, collect the water, pour it in an ice mold shaped like the person, freeze it, and then revive them?
I don't think it's really "freezing" as that would just kill Monica, and it's not like her flesh and bones have been frozen solid. Her body has been replaced by ice.

Paul had a comment once that Stheno turned people into sand and Medusa, of course, into stone. Could Stheno or Maddie have recovered their victims with a kiss, or something similar? This would put their magic into the realm of superpositioned quantum states, where the victim is either a sentient creature or it's a pile of inanimate matter.

A Gorgon's anger, if acknowledged with visual contact, rejects the person's existence, and introduces an equivalent mass to potentially replace them. (In Euryale's case, an equal mass of ice.) If the Gorgon is satisfied with this, she can allow enough time to pass to allow the wave function to collapse, which seems considerably more hardy than the usual quantum state. A Gorgon's attentive sympathy reverses this, if applied before the replacement matter takes hold in the universe. Where the displaced person would be "sent" would make for a disturbing question.

Obviously Doctor Who's Weeping Angels make this point more directly, but the principle is the same.

Hm, the ocean isn't sentient, per se. So the water froze because the superimposed matter comes from such a potentially deep-frozen state, it affected the water around it.

I like making things up.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Knighttrap

Post by Knighttrap »

Yamara wrote:

I don't think it's really "freezing" as that would just kill Monica, and it's not like her flesh and bones have been frozen solid. Her body has been replaced by ice.

Paul had a comment once that Stheno turned people into sand and Medusa, of course, into stone. Could Stheno or Maddie have recovered their victims with a kiss, or something similar? This would put their magic into the realm of superpositioned quantum states, where the victim is either a sentient creature or it's a pile of inanimate matter.

A Gorgon's anger, if acknowledged with visual contact, rejects the person's existence, and introduces an equivalent mass to potentially replace them. (In Euryale's case, an equal mass of ice.) If the Gorgon is satisfied with this, she can allow enough time to pass to allow the wave function to collapse, which seems considerably more hardy than the usual quantum state. A Gorgon's attentive sympathy reverses this, if applied before the replacement matter takes hold in the universe. Where the displaced person would be "sent" would make for a disturbing question.

Obviously Doctor Who's Weeping Angels make this point more directly, but the principle is the same.

Hm, the ocean isn't sentient, per se. So the water froze because the superimposed matter comes from such a potentially deep-frozen state, it affected the water around it.

I like making things up.
Quantum Physics and the Supernatrual:Why this comic so entertains me. With most people the response would be, "Its Magic" and leave it at that.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Euryale maintains her sweet, sunny disposition for the same reason Bruce Banner takes prozac and practices zen.

"Don't get me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
korblimee47

Post by korblimee47 »

Postby jwhouk » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:36 am
Euryale maintains her sweet, sunny disposition for the same reason Bruce Banner takes prozac and practices zen.

"Don't get me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

I think you hit the proverbial nail right on the head with that comment
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:One thing I don't get is why did the water freeze? The water isn't a living being as such. So does that mean rocks would freeze if she did it to them?
I'm going to chalk it up to proximity to the person who was frozen...kind of like when you grab an ice cube from the freezer with damp hands, the ice cube can freeze to your fingers...at least until you get it out in normal air and your body temp melts the connection point again. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

buaahahahahahah...... I think this is going to be a regular situation between M and Euryale!! :D I did snort out loud this time and everyone here is looking at me funny hahaha...
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:When, when, when, when, when!? When is Monica going to learn not to look at Euryale when speaking to her? It's rude, but surely Euryale would understand and not take offense. Something can be frozen and unfrozen just so many times before some sort of permanent damage befalls it.

Though a little melting might be good. Monica's been wanting to take some off her breast size anyway.
The ICNoMore breast reduction plan?!
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Wow, even the poor snakes are scared. If the ice froze around Monica and Euryale "thaws her out", would the ice on her body fall off or be absorbed into Monica ? The latter would not be good as Monica would gain 'water weight' however a quick trip to the Ladies room may solve that problem. Maybe Monica could invest in some Mirrored Sunglasses? 8-)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

A thought - it's not the snakes that cause the freeze-out, is it? It's her stare.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Some random thoughts on today's comic:

- Was that a self-fulfilling prophecy, then?

- Death by frostbite.

- [Clue]It was Ms. Euryale. At the beach. With an icy stare.[/Clue]

- For someone who deals ice, that Gorgon sure is hot-headed...
Leak

Post by Leak »

lake_wrangler wrote:- For someone who deals ice, that Gorgon sure is hot-headed...
"Deals ice"?

Why do I suddenly have an image of Euryale walking across the beach with a tray selling ice that she keeps cool by staring it down in my mind?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:The real problem is this repeat performance. I thought Euryale had a bit better of a grip on her danger: teasing Jin with a hug, shaming Monica into facing fear to save a friendship
It's clearly tied to sudden strong emotion... the first time, Euryale was surprised/shocked/startled, the second she was very urgently trying to make an important point (and perhaps was scared for Monica), and this third time she was shocked snd outraged. The analogy to Bruce Banner is a very good one... Euryale may have adopted a sunny and friendly persona in order to minimize the chances of conflicts with others that could trigger her defensive reaction. Isn't 100% effective, though... I imagine she'd have to constantly dose herself with industrial-strength tranquilizers to entirely eliminate any chance of an emotional response to the actions of other people, and that could leave her completely defenseless. I'm told that a skunk with its scent gland surgically removed is one of the sweetest, most mild-mannered animals around... and also one of the most vulnerable.

This third incident is only going to reinforce the lesson that Monica finally learned from Phix's little chow-down: paranormals are dangerous! This could make it even harder for Monica to overcome her fear and get up the gumption to stay "in the game".
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Casey wrote:Icy you guys didn't really care for my pun. It got a rather chilly reception.

-carefully balances a chest freezer on top of the pun jar-
It would help if you'd melt our hearts first--just as they are gonna try to melt Monica's heart.

[drops a tube of Icy Hot in the freezer for the jar.]
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:

One thing I don't get is why did the water freeze? The water isn't a living being as such. So does that mean rocks would freeze if she did it to them?

Anyway, I guess it would depend on the structure of the "ice" as created by the queen of the icy stare. It could be that it has, encoded in its crystalline patterns, a matrix of interconnecting structures and sub-structures representing the biological structure of the body as it was at the moment of freezing. If that is so, then the melting would destroy the human-shaped ice matrix "memory storage", subsequently making it impossible to reconstruct the body as it was.

OTOH, if it's all "magic," then, what the hell, sure, it would work. Though you might get something like the golems. The body is no longer human, but the soul is somehow still inside and the result still looks like the original. Of course such a being might be able to instantly freeze water by touching it or become something akin to that silly super hero who surfed on an ice sheet he created just in front of his surfboard, whatever his name was.
I'm thinking that perhaps Euryale's ability gets more intense when she's aroused by her passions--so that, in this case, Monica was superfrozen, coming out with a temp far below the melting point. It's that extra degrees of frost that led the water around her to freeze. But the question about melting, freezing and reshaping the person, and then reviving them is an interesting one. If it worked, it might be a handy sort of magical plastic surgery . . .
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:

One thing I don't get is why did the water freeze?
I think when someone is is frozen they are just very cold. Cold enough to freeze the surrounding water.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Thanks, now my head hurts from trying to see all the possibilities of that. Talk about a make over.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Jabberwonky wrote:Is this going to be an ongoing problem with our favorite gorgon? :D

See: running gag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_gag
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.