RIP Robin Williams

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

RIP Robin Williams

Post by jwhouk »

Title says it all :(
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Post by lake_wrangler »

Actually, not quite. The title does give the main fact, but is somewhat short on context... How, when, where, etc.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Found dead, asphyxiation, at home in San Francisco. Presumed suicide at this point.

Apparently was having relapse and depression issues. He was supposedly up at Hazelden Clinic in the Twin Cities for a while this month, but was back home.

Sad, regardless. :(
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I just looked it up, and they really don't say much about it. I can't help but wonder why they think it might be suicide. There are many ways one can end up asphyxiated... Must be some particular detail that was not mentioned in the news report.

It's already sad when a well-known person, who meant a lot to many, goes, but even sadder if they take their own life. :(
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

When you have a person dealing with depression, and the death was ruled by asphyxiation, it usually means self-strangulation by either bedsheet or some other means.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Is that so? I didn't know that...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:When you have a person dealing with depression, and the death was ruled by asphyxiation, it usually means self-strangulation by either bedsheet or some other means.
OTOH, there was Vaughan Bode, the cartoonist, David McDaniel, the SF writer and fan, and David Carradine, three cases i can call to mind right off hand, of death by autoerotic asphyxiation.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yes. Thing is, depressed people generally do not have a high sex drive. Depression generally does that to the chemical trails that trigger pleasure seeking.

Whatever it turns out to be, it's a shame.

Also: if you or someone you love is hurting, talk to them about it. If it's you, there's a number you can call, 24-7, in the US and Canada: 1-800-273-HELP (8255).
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Yes, the world just got a little less funny.

On the other hand, he spent so much of his life making people laugh that I can't help but imagine he would like people to be indulging in some black humor about the situation right now. Unfortunately the most appropriately inappropriate thing I can think of is a scene from Family Guy involving a trip to KFC which doesn't translate well written, it needs to be heard.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

He's now, somewhere, hanging out with Carlin and Johnathan Winters, making Burns and Allen crack up.

btw- His wife's message to us said (and I paraphrase), don't study on his passing, embrace the Love and the laughs.

PS- google his appearance @ the Actors Studio...
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Just like that old joke:

A man goes to a doctor, claiming he’s depressed. He feels as if the world doesn’t care about his problems, as if he’s the pole the universe pisses on. The doctor ponders the man’s problems, unsure of what to do, until suddenly he remembers: “The circus is in town, and Pagliacci the clown is there! Why don’t you go see his show, I’m sure that’ll cheer you up.” The man breaks down crying and sobs, “But I AM Pagliacci!!”

:cry:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

MerchManDan wrote:Just like that old joke:

A man goes to a doctor, claiming he’s depressed. He feels as if the world doesn’t care about his problems, as if he’s the pole the universe pisses on. The doctor ponders the man’s problems, unsure of what to do, until suddenly he remembers: “The circus is in town, and Pagliacci the clown is there! Why don’t you go see his show, I’m sure that’ll cheer you up.” The man breaks down crying and sobs, “But I AM Pagliacci!!”

:cry:
That was the perfect one to use.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: RIP Robin Williams - Twitter Tweets from Hateful Twits

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Make you want to laugh and cry at the same time = Conan Remembers Robin Williams, The Best Talk Show Guest In The World
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

TazManiac wrote:He's now, somewhere, hanging out with Carlin and Johnathan Winters, making Burns and Allen crack up.
Remembering the TV history I would just bet that Johnathan Winters was the first one to greet him saying "Hi Dad." :ugeek: :geek:

For those that do not understand this one, on Mork & Mindy winters played Mork's backward aging son Myrth on the fourth and final season. It was also Robin Williams first TV Series.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.