Strange Doorway 2014-08-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
kingklash

Re: Strange Doorway 2014-08-04

Post by kingklash »

Yamara wrote:I'm your only friend
I'm not your only friend
But I'm a little glowing friend
But really I'm not actually your friend
But I am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guf#The_Tree_of_Souls

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/pay-a-visit/

There's a picture opposite me
Of my primitive ancestry
Which stood on rocky shores
And kept the beaches shipwreck-free
Though I respect that a lot
I'd be fired if that were my job
After killing Jason off
And countless screaming Argonauts
Bluebird of friendliness
Like guardian angels it's
Always near

-TMBG, "Birdhouse in Your Soul", 1989
While I'm at it, I keep nightlight on inside the birdhouse in my soul.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Warrl wrote:An essential characteristic of a true maguffin is that it doesn't really matter what it is. For example, you could take The Maltese Falcon, swap out one small statue for another, and produce The Cretan Taurus. Nothing else would have to change, and the story would be the same.
As Starlord says about the orb he's stolen - it has a "a shiny suitcase, Ark of the Covenant, Maltese Falcon kind of vibe".
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

TazManiac wrote:K. D.,

What comes to mind is Venn Diagrams, (it just so happens to have been a recent Google Doodle; http://www.google.com/search?safe=off&s ... 3568&hl=en)Image

Overlap, yes, but separate areas as well. Helps to address the Multi-Pantheon, 'Many Heavens' situation.
Looks like something I drew with my Spirograph when I was a kid! :D
Vive la weird!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

My2Cents wrote:
sheik wrote:I have to wonder now if Castela has been motivated by some kind of race memory. It seems her kind was savagely assaulted by the Fae.
Judging from Calista's present state I'd say the Fae got what they deserved on all counts.
Read back, Castela doesn't have a race, she was made! First, last, and probably only one of her kind.
It also said that she was made with several types of thorn plants that are known to be sentient and wise. That means that she is of several races, all with the potential for race memories. :geek:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Elvis wrote:
Warrl wrote:The big question, though, is how did a uryuom egg get from the EGS universe to the Wapsi universe? Also, why did someone think it would be a good idea to put a mixture of plant and animal material in it?

I have always seen the Bibliotheki as a doorway between dimensions. Connected to the library of lord dream and Unseen University. Oh, and we only need to find the Tedd of the Wapsiverse to get an answer (and hope it is not Lord Tedd)
Interestingly I have always considered the Wapsi Library to be an actual destination and not a link - something of a pocket realm given its stated ability to receive and hold "anything ever written", which has never been fully defined or as I mentioned utilized.

This strip does get very close to the traditional Wapsi Data Dump on two counts:
1) The word count per panel is about 52 words.
2) A normally laconic character delivers the bulk of the dialog.

Two strips of this verbosity would be longer than the Gettysburg Address 310 vs 270 just as a reference.

I really like how it does end with "Guf" - which goes without saying as the pun has already been made.
Leak

Post by Leak »

JSStryker wrote:Looks like something I drew with my Spirograph when I was a kid! :D
And here's your Spirograph on steroids... :) (also on Youtube if your graphics card and/or OS is not up to it...)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Had to watch the Youtube version with the nice techno music, but WOW!
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Nimrod wrote:I really like how it does end with "Guf" - which goes without saying as the pun has already been made.
Too bad for your cute little dig that the Chamber of Guf is part of Jewish legend/mysticism, and is literally the repository of souls.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

why do i feel as though the Fae that were affected by the Guf, gained souls and became the Seelie Court, and those Fae that either didn't go thru the door, or were somehow otherwise not affected by the Guf, became the UNSeelie Court?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Aed

Post by Aed »

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

scantrontb wrote:why do i feel as though the Fae that were affected by the Guf, gained souls and became the Seelie Court, and those Fae that either didn't go thru the door, or were somehow otherwise not affected by the Guf, became the UNSeelie Court?

Third Panel;

"Everything changed for those Fae..." (Italics are mine)

Maybe this was a Fork in the Road, but only for some.