One Who Could Cry 2014-08-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

One Who Could Cry 2014-08-05

Post by Dave »

She's a very bright little thorn... didn't take her long at all to realize the implications of what she had done. :(
Opus the Poet

Re: One Who Could Cry 2014-08-05

Post by Opus the Poet »

And now Pickle is going to cry...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

If she is lucky she will find that the Fae she killed was actually a Gossamer and not a living Fae. If she is not so lucky she might use this to give herself a purpose in life. Either way, her life will still change from this.
Last edited by Mark N on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Depends on her motivation(s).

"Did I kill a Fae that could cry?"

Option A: "Good! Those little bastards made me suffer, and they deserve all the grief I can give them!"

Option B: "So what? They still hurt me and those I loved."

Option C: ".....

When "The Other" ceases to be the other, then what?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Atomic wrote:When "The Other" ceases to be the other, then what?
Pickle has personal experience of being the Other... Remember, Atsali was like the only kid in the orphanage who liked her.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Ya know what - i think Grandma Lily might be good to get in on this, for some reason.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Dave wrote:She's a very bright little thorn... didn't take her long at all to realize the implications of what she had done. :(
And now she's going to go all goth and call herself Deadly Nightshade and start writing bad poetry that will seem darling because of her childish handwriting.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Man, just been playing catchup -and I don't mean Heinz- with the last 3 days and I tell you this is some Heavy stuff for our little Pickle and our little Cricket. I feel bad for Both of them. This is like a Jr. version of 90210. ;)
Pibgorn never had trouble like this I betcha. :lol:
Aed

Post by Aed »

I am so happy that this is a Tuesday comic. If this had been the Friday Cliff Hanger, I'd be climbing the walls all weekend while awaiting the next installment.

Poor Pickle.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

We still don't know what that particular Fae was doing. Pickle might still have been defending herself. Like the character Naruto, as a little one, she knew she was different, but not totally knowledgeable on the whys and wherefores of that difference.

Now, she's to learn the lesson of Po and the Ninja Turtles: How one begins has no ultimate bearing on how one becomes. And maybe that's what Cricket will learn, as well.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Thor wrote:And now she's going to go all goth and call herself Deadly Nightshade and start writing bad poetry that will seem darling because of her childish handwriting.
Every single song she sings is tragic
All she wants to do is ose that’s long
Even though I’d like to make some magic
Now I know her verse goes on and on.
TOMIB

Post by TOMIB »

This has serious, life altering trauma written all over it. This may be a job for more than one grandma.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Nadette may not always tell you what you want to hear... but you can rest assured she'll tell you what you need to hear. How you deal with it is up to you...

this arc isn't tugging at heartstrings... it's yanking at them... HARD.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

DilyV wrote:Nadette may not always tell you what you want to hear... but you can rest assured she'll tell you what you need to hear. How you deal with it is up to you...

this arc isn't tugging at heartstrings... it's yanking at them... HARD.

This is why I keep wondering if the Ursa's are related to Nudge and/or Shelly.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

No answer to that question will be satisfactory. At least, none will ease her conscience.

What I'm hoping for next, is for Calista to take up her glamor so she's taller than Castela, then kneel in front of her and hug her for a while, probably without saying anything.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Dave wrote:She's a very bright little thorn... didn't take her long at all to realize the implications of what she had done. :(
Actually she was told what and how she should feel via an unconfirmable fable designed to illicit guilt. Typical parenting 101.

I love it when a character says "who is to say X is Y" which implies that what they have just said is incontrovertible simple because the statement lacks any means of rebuttal based on reason. They forget that any unreasonable statement can be countered by an unreasonable retort. Therefor it is totally and equally valid to say that the Fae did have souls prior and knew exactly what they were doing and enjoyed it. Who is to say that X is Z?

Obviously the Fae have done horrible things in the Wapsi universe and if Cricket is unique in the regard that she feels remorse what does that say about the Fae in general? That or it is all fake and she is manipulating everyone, who is to say otherwise?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I don't think this will be a life changing revelation for Pickle. This is like any young child that suddenly realizes something they did was much more than they thought it was. Like a three year old taking a gold fish out of the bowl and watching it die. To them their action and its death are not connected. When you explain it and they understand they are upset about it but that is how they learn. For Pickle it is the realization that even though her anger made her feel justified, killing things like that is not good. I expect this will be part of her talk with Kathy later.

I still wonder if she really did kill a Fae back at the orphanage. It is possible but so far Pickle is the only one who says she did do it. Kathy and Sali both did not support her story, but neither did they deny it. So not sure.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
donoho

Post by donoho »

lake_wrangler wrote:No answer to that question will be satisfactory. At least, none will ease her conscience.

What I'm hoping for next, is for Calista to take up her glamor so she's taller than Castela, then kneel in front of her and hug her for a while, probably without saying anything.
I think it's a bit soon to be hugging it out, but satisfactory or not, I think Calista might have the answer to Castela's question.
eee

Post by eee »

I was afraid this would happen. I hoped it wouldn't happen so soon. Barring a deus ex machina - or a convincing lie - Castela is in for a bad time. :cry:
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

I don't know. Crying or not this seems like a bit quick of a turn around to go from murderous rage at the very sight of a Fae to empathetic feelings for her. We seem to have skipped right past the stubborn hanging on to her preconceived notions about the Fae until there was no choice. Even if she realized the Fae had feelings and all, she would still hate them for what they did in removing her from her "parents."

And was it really a Fae she killed? Cricket has yet to display wings. Did Castela kill something else thinking it was a Fae? Maybe an actual bug she thought to be one? That or some other creature which was out to do her harm.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.