Smiling At Me 2014-07-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
meisdadoo

Re: Smiling At Me 2014-07-22

Post by meisdadoo »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:If it's like the Fae in our universe's stories, they have no souls, thus no true moral sense.
Most humans instinctively know (or learn) the difference between right and wrong by the time they are about 8 years old. A big part of that is the pain they feel in their souls (empathy) when they do wrong to others, and the joy the feel when they do good. Those humans that lack empathy are known as sociopaths or psychopaths. The differences between the two are hard to detect, but essentially a sociopath hurts others due to a lack of care, concern, feeling. Psychopaths on the other hand seem to enjoy hurting others. See also http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wic ... psychopath

If you did not have a soul you would not feel or comprehend the joy or the pain in the souls of others, and have difficulty truly understanding (or caring) why what you did harmed or helped others. Depending on your nurturing, training and motivation you would be either a sociopath or a psychopath, but you would always be dangerous.

I had it explained to me like this: If someone you just met lost a loved one you might feel sorry for their loss. If you lost a loved one, you would grieve for the loss. It is a matter of degree. A sociopath might feel sorry for getting caught, but they would not grieve for the pain they caused others.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
eee

Post by eee »

"You have much wisdom for one so young, grasshopper. Now let's talk about your grades in PE..."
Dave wrote:Another thing to stay tuned for: the story of just how the Fae are different from other paranormals, such that Cricket could harm others without really meaning to.

Perhaps their dangerous magic is tightly intertwined with their emotions, and can act without conscious volition? Calista could hurt someone, as a direct effect of just becoming angry or resentful? That might account for some of the reputation the Fae have, for having nasty tempers and cruel senses of humor... it could be their unconscious sides "acting out" with no pro-social filtering.

Calista Foxglove, as the bearer of a sort of Incredible Hult penumbra. You wouldn't like her when she's angry. Flower-glower power.
The thing is, it can't be an UNCONSCIOUS emotional response or Ms. Head Cheerleader wouldn't have lived long enough to have her reputation torpedoed - or enhanced - by the gossamer fisting doubles episode. Cricket would have slammed her down the moment she became aware Head Cheer had figured out her 'friends' and made her a laughingstock. Instead, the Princess' revenge was carefully planned and well carried out, if less directly harmful than one would expect from one of the 'Good People'. I don't know what Monica's getting at, but I suspect it's complicated. And possibly horrifying. And we'll find out more as time goes on.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DilyV wrote: "I wanna be like you when I grow up, Atsali."
:P

Heh, I like that.

Something also mentioned was what Atsali went through w/ the whole 'Too many people dumped into my head, I have to peel my skin off to make it stop' situation.

While still being developed, her Maturity has a very wide and deep germinational base.

I look forward to the "What have I gotten myself into?" revelation to come.
sheik

Post by sheik »

DilyV wrote:Are we sure she's only what, 16? She's a sage young woman, but then, I guess having an entire insane civilization filter through your mind will do that to you... Atsali has seen horrible things that she has no intention of seeing happen to others if she has anything to say about it. I imagine Monica is smiling because she's thinking, "I wanna be like you when I grow up, Atsali." Heck, Monica just wants to "grow" up!!!

From that expression, Monica definitely sees something she likes in Atsali...
I think there was a reason Paul channeled the whole of the remaining Lanthan race through Atsali.
Presently it is manifesting itself as an unusually mature worldview by our favorite Siren.
But I wonder what a full-fledged Siren will do with such potential.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

sheik wrote:
DilyV wrote:Are we sure she's only what, 16? She's a sage young woman, but then, I guess having an entire insane civilization filter through your mind will do that to you... Atsali has seen horrible things that she has no intention of seeing happen to others if she has anything to say about it. I imagine Monica is smiling because she's thinking, "I wanna be like you when I grow up, Atsali." Heck, Monica just wants to "grow" up!!!

From that expression, Monica definitely sees something she likes in Atsali...
I think there was a reason Paul channeled the whole of the remaining Lanthan race through Atsali.
Presently it is manifesting itself as an unusually mature worldview by our favorite Siren.
But I wonder what a full-fledged Siren will do with such potential.
Become a successful YA author, of course.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Atsali, in answer to your question, Monica approves of your change in posture from the first panel to the third.

And not only because it's better for your back. You are, very literally, standing up for a friend.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote:Atsali, in answer to your question, Monica approves of your change in posture from the first panel to the third.

And not only because it's better for your back. You are, very literally, standing up for a friend.
Very nicely put!
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I could see Monica now turning to Callista and saying "I will see you this evening. Be prepared to answer Atsali's question." And then poiting out of there.

And the four girls being thoroughly befuddled.