Saturday Too 2014-07-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
kingklash

Re: Saturday Too 2014-07-14

Post by kingklash »

Yes Monica, Saturdays too.

Maybe she can have Cricket come along as a "Intern" at the museum. Her Highness should benefit from seeing the circle of friends M actually has, and how well they get along. (similar to what the Parody Dub of Dynaman called "Good-looking Young People From All Walks Of Life.") If she learns to behave herself, she too could go on adventures, save Civilization at large, meet powerful entities, and try not to get hugged to death by Castela.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Little late seeing this, but called it...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617&start=20#p34709

I thought I saw a lot of Phix in Monica's response...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

kingklash wrote:Yes Monica, Saturdays too.
If she learns to behave herself, she too could go on adventures, save Civilization at large, meet powerful entities, and try not to get hugged to death by Castela.
Save civilization!!! This is a Fae we are talking about right? She is more likely to be the one causing it to fall.

As to what Monica can do. I lean toward restoring belief in themselves. Learning that others are real people and not shadows to be used and thrown away. That feeling of all need to be considered. Getting mad or upset does not mean getting even. Etc.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Kirishala

Post by Kirishala »

MaynardGKrebs wrote:
Aleister Crow wrote:
jwhouk wrote:And it all makes sense now.

She does have a point, though - Saturdays TOO?

...of course, the whole thing is going to REALLY go downhill when Atsali utters those three words: "Hi Aunt Monica!"
And then asks her what 'fisting' means.
LOL! I liked to have choked when I read that then context made me realize she meant "Fight" and just calls it "Fisting" (god, I hope that's it!)...
Nope, word of god is that the cheeleaders were doing the other kind of fisting.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

kingklash wrote:Yes Monica, Saturdays too.

Maybe she can have Cricket come along as a "Intern" at the museum. Her Highness should benefit from seeing the circle of friends M actually has, and how well they get along.
Excellent idea! Not to mention, learning about other civilizations, how they got (or didn't) get along. Not to mention other paranormal societies...

Oh, the places we could go!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Aed

Post by Aed »

I'm really enjoying this story arc.

One small nit to pick. In panel three Phix says to Monica " You're one of the few beings stronger than she (sic), who will give a shit!" I'm guessing that it should read "... stronger than she is ..." or "... stronger than her ...".

I look forward to the next installment. :D
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Aed wrote:I'm really enjoying this story arc.

One small nit to pick. In panel three Phix says to Monica " You're one of the few beings stronger than she (sic), who will give a shit!" I'm guessing that it should read "... stronger than she is ..." or "... stronger than her ...".

I look forward to the next installment. :D
I always was taught that you could leave off the verb in such a phrase. "You're one of the few beings stronger than she," is okay then. It just sounds unnatural to us because we're so used to hearing, "stronger than her," etc. I try to remember not to do that, but every now and then I slip so if anyone else is able to... well, you're a better man than I, Gunga-Din.

TlalocW (see what I did there?)
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Now this sounds like interesting times.

And as soon as M finds out that she is a nice little girl, she will feel bad.

And as soon as she hears about the "fist fight" she will rage.

... and then feel bad again. I think Tina and Phix need to bring much coffee and cookies.

Edit: are there any bets to whom she is related?
Last edited by Elvis on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

zachariah wrote:I wonder how powerful Cricket is. If Monica is one of the few stronger than Cricket, key word is few, I can see why Phix chose here. Those stronger are mostly titans and older beings. They really would not care about Cricket at all and see no reason to try and take a Fae. In fact I think a lot would have the attitude that the only good fae is a dead fae. There is justification for that attitude.
Power is subjective. Obviously, Monica is more durable now if she can jump off buildings without hurting herself and stronger if a punch of hers can stun a sphinx. But then she can also poit, wrangle demons, dispose of demon interlopers, wield astral fire, go ghostal, and is very hard to kill permanently. Cricket can obviously lay out a person much bigger than she, but as a fae she probably has other powers that make her dangerous other than brute force.

But Phix said that M's stronger than Cricket, and to me, that implies physical strength.

When I was a kid, Marvel put out a series of comic books which were nothing but drawings of all their characters next to info about them - secret identity, hair/eye color, weight, height, origin, powers, and weaknesses, which I found a lot of fun to read. I'd like to see something like that for Wapsi, plus some sort of ranking on power levels. :)

TlalocW
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

TlalocW wrote:When I was a kid, Marvel put out a series of comic books which were nothing but drawings of all their characters next to info about them - secret identity, hair/eye color, weight, height, origin, powers, and weaknesses, which I found a lot of fun to read. I'd like to see something like that for Wapsi, plus some sort of ranking on power levels. :)
Start here?
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Elvis wrote:Now this sounds like interesting times.

And as soon as M finds out that she is a nice little girl, she will feel bad.

And as soon as she hears about the "fist fight" she will rage.

... and then feel bad again. I think Tina and Phix need to bring much coffee and cookies.

Edit: are there any bets to whom she is related?
Calista Foxglove: owner of the One-Way Ticket to Fist City.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Warrl wrote:
TlalocW wrote:When I was a kid, Marvel put out a series of comic books which were nothing but drawings of all their characters next to info about them - secret identity, hair/eye color, weight, height, origin, powers, and weaknesses, which I found a lot of fun to read. I'd like to see something like that for Wapsi, plus some sort of ranking on power levels. :)
Start here?
And try to overlook the various spelling errors in the Omnibus edition.

OT: M is the stronger of the two because of her combined powers.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

Ah, Monica IS channeling Phix...I thought so.
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
sheik

Post by sheik »

So now we see the process by which the Supernaturals establish and maintain their low profile on Earth.
Here is Monica apprenticing under Phix and in the process of establishing her credentials as Journeyman Enforcer/Guidance Counselor.
Monica should do well with her dual experience as both Jaguar Girl and Squishy Mundane.
I'm sure the bumps in this road will be very entertaining.
analyst

Post by analyst »

Sounds like Phix is getting Mon to step up to her Jag-gurl duties. "It's not all just punch and cookies" (Every single pun was intended).
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

We even have a wiki where you can help make that.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I don't even want to think about trying to roll up a character sheet for each of the major characters. I mean, "Custard Attack! +5 to demolish, but causes malaise for three rounds after each pint consumed"?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

jwhouk wrote:I don't even want to think about trying to roll up a character sheet for each of the major characters. I mean, "Custard Attack! +5 to demolish, but causes malaise for three rounds after each pint consumed"?
At least give us Dietzel's stats.
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:
jwhouk wrote:I don't even want to think about trying to roll up a character sheet for each of the major characters. I mean, "Custard Attack! +5 to demolish, but causes malaise for three rounds after each pint consumed"?
At least give us Dietzel's stats.
He definitely rolls at least +5 against Weirdness attacks. He would never have lasted with Monica otherwise.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:So Monica was hired to straighten Cricket out. I wonder what she charges for this service? Gold, greater access to the library, or knowledge?? The second two are more likely.
No use for the gold, has more library access than she knows how to use, and doesn't know yet what she needs to know. She will be getting paid in favors to be redeemed at a later date.

I wonder what the exchange rate for a favor from the fae is? Probably either huge or insignificant, depending on who you are dealing with. Redeeming it is also likely to be extremely hazardous according to legend.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.