Very Honest 2014-07-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Catawampus

Re: Very Honest 2014-07-07

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:Maybe, as a Fae princess, she was kept away from other Fae children because they "weren't good enough" to befriend royalty?
There's no telling yet at what level of princessiness Calista may be, and the specifics could have a lot to do with how she was raised. If she was the Fae version of a crown princess, heiress apparent to the throne of Brooklyn or wherever, she'd likely have a much more regimented and restricted childhood than if she was just a princess who is the third eldest daughter of the cousin of the sister of the king and is thus forty-seventh in the line of succession.
DilyV wrote:Seems Cricket may be a whiz at maintaining her glamor but still has trouble keeping her feelings bottled when faced with the truth.
As Nadette said, "You wear your heart on your sleeve. . ."
Dave wrote:Since we know that Wapsiverse time is changeable, a higher power (or enemy) might have "retroactively erased" friends from her timeline - hence, they "never were".. . . but as she then says she can't see even their faces or shadows, I'd say she can't be certain that they ever even existed in the first place.
I wonder what would happen if a person had certain people as friends during one iteration of the Calendar Machine loops, but never even managed to meet those people in the next go around. As far as that timeline and Nadette's sense were concerned, would those friends have never been that person's friends?
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

As Atsali had a new Mentor take her Brassier Fitting at a special place, I'd say Cricket could use some time in a certain Auto Repair bay...

"Here, hold the block riiiiight there while I put this bolt through the motor mount...."
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

I wonder what the psychic effect on Calista's aura would if her previous friends had all memory of her erasured? There has to be 2 sides to the bond.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Perhaps this is along the same vein as Anna from Frozen - at least on the memory-wipe side?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

btw- Some few threads back, someone coined the verb Tina'd, as in "being Tina'd", etc.

Here is a classic 'Tina Doing Her Thing' (at least one of her things...);

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/on-purpose/

Start there, and progress forward....
Dave

Post by Dave »

I just realized why Nadette broke her usual silence.

It's not that she was overwhelmed. It was a matter of principle.

Once she heard that "Cricket" Calista's last name is "Foxglove", she was obliged to speak truth to flower.
eee

Post by eee »

Dave wrote:I just realized why Nadette broke her usual silence.

It's not that she was overwhelmed. It was a matter of principle.

Once she heard that "Cricket" Calista's last name is "Foxglove", she was obliged to speak truth to flower.
You aren't immediately making massive payments to the Pun Jar for that? :shock:

Brave man. Foolish, but brave. :lol:
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

TazManiac wrote:btw- Some few threads back, someone coined the verb Tina'd, as in "being Tina'd", etc.

Here is a classic 'Tina Doing Her Thing' (at least one of her things...);

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/on-purpose/

Start there, and progress forward....
'Twas me, and I also once referred to her ability as Tina-Vision(tm).
Julie

Post by Julie »

txmystic wrote:
eee wrote:I AM curious, though. To judge from what Nad' said, Cricket HAD friends at one time, but now they're all gone. So gone, even their faces and shadows have vanished. I'm curious as to what happened. And why.
Judging from this reaction, and contrary to her reputation as a badass, I'm hopeful that nothing sinister happened...she's probably really good at building emotional walls and erasing those that hurt her from her genetic memory...
At least we know now that those friends weren't exactly real in the first place...the gossamer thing would explain why they're that gone. :)

Still...poor Cricket!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:What Nadette said was ambiguous... it's subject to multiple interpretations (as oracular statements often are). Her words don't even actually confirm that Cricket ever had any friends at all. All she really confirmed, is that she cannot detect any trace at all of friends on Cricket's aura/soul/being/body/whatever.

Yes, she did say "They're gone", but as she then says she can't see even their faces or shadows, I'd say she can't be certain that they ever even existed in the first place.
What would an imaginary friend, or a young-childhood stuffed animal (that is really just a soulless inanimate lump of cloth and stuffing, not like Hobbes or Winnie) that is long gone, look like to a seer?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote:What would an imaginary friend, or a young-childhood stuffed animal (that is really just a soulless inanimate lump of cloth and stuffing, not like Hobbes or Winnie) that is long gone, look like to a seer?
I guess it depends on what a seer, sees :)

If a Seer actually sees visions of past events, then Cricket's friends might well have been visible. A straightforward reading of the Akashic Record would likely have shown them.

Based on what Nadette said, though, it feels as if her Seeing was sort of a soul-reading - she was talking about Cricket's emotions and emotional style a lot, rather than specific events. If a Seer of Nadette's type is a soul-reader, then it'd make sense that artificially-animated, illusory "friends" made out of gossamer might not have been visible at all... no souls of their own, hence no "imprint" or "trace" or "shadow" on Cricket's soul to be read.

Hobbes sure as hell had a soul, even if he was only a stuffed tiger... he and Pooh were definitely old souls. Calvin and Christopher Robin had a better class of imaginary friend than Calista did, I guess. :D

(Since you mentioned Winnie the Pooh, I suppose I should point off to this bit of tribute to the Great Bear of the Oh Bother)