Cricket And Jugs 2014-06-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
scantrontb

Re: Cricket And Jugs 2014-06-26

Post by scantrontb »

Nimrod wrote:I actually have a problem with JUGS liking to associate with CRICKET as Ms. Bearng is obviously a bully.
Bullies are themselves either cowards, lack proper self-worth or have some manner of asocial defect (of a combination of the above) - they choose to act the way they do out of fear, inappropriate resolution skills or a total disregard / lack of empathy. Not really an individual one would want (or should) hang out with.

Also - I am not going to even touch the various scale problems with a creature that is around 6 cm tall - this is just a comic and magic to boot.
i don't see her as a "bully" but as someone that "Don't take no S**T from NO-ONE!" and that she was NOT the one that started that fight, but instead chose to END it... very quickly, as well... granted, she seems to have a very short temper when it comes to name-calling, but hey, it's high-school it kinda goes with the territory, ya' know? and in today's page where we find out that she's Fae, I'm pretty sure that Atsali is thinking "whoops! that smack-down could've gone SOOO wrong!" and that's why she's embarrassed... and conversely, I'll bet that Atsali is one of the few people Calista has met recently (transfer students ALWAYS have it hard at first) that DIDN'T either shy away in fear because she's Fae and thus very powerful (or try and suck-up to her because she's Royalty, for that matter) or call her offensive names like Jiminy, instead Atsali: A)was ignorant of her Fae and/or Royalty status (the How did you do that? comment kinda implies that she doesn't know what a Fae can do.) AND then B)called her on her attitude, and finally C)when SHE got offended by the "giant knockers" comment, her instant to-the-point-hulk-smash! response with her fist, was in my opinion, just what Calista wanted? needed? to see in someone before she even attempts to consider that person her Friend...

only time will tell who becomes the better influence on the other... i hope that it will be mutual. Calista can get a bit mellowed out from meeting Atsali and the Ursamorph twins, and that Atsali gets a bit more backbone when it comes to her body-image and responding to comments about it in a less embarrased-to-be-a-siren way. i hope that Gotlieb can be brought into the circle as well in a more formal way as well, instead of just being the behind-the-scenes influence that Euryale was talking about earlier.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Bully? Dunno yet. But consensus seems to be Shelly was one, so it wouldn't be a deal-breaker ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Owen said, essentially, that Shelly was the bully who befriended him. In fact, the "bully" label would have been dead-on accurate up until about the time of the Calendar Machine Repair Squad arc.

10,000-plus years in the Time Forest cured her of the bullying, that's for sure.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Cricket, Jugs, & Cubs. Solvin' groovy mysteries after school!
illiad

Post by illiad »

Dave wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:I'm trying to imagine a Cricket-sized mobile phone.
The electronics can be miniaturized that deep, but an 800MHz phone still needs an antenna... a quarter-wave radiator is just shy of 80% of Calista's height.
Surely there are alternatives available to her.

I'll bet her cellphone has an E-H crossed-field fractal Isotron antenna. I'm sure it works great.

This is a fantasy strip, after all. :mrgreen:
you are over-thinking it.... :)

when fantastical things like people (and clothes!!) can change their size by a large amount, be able to stand up even though they are very top heavy, and also be able to knock out someone who is about 100 times a big and heavy as they are, then making a tiny working cellphone is not much really.... as most fiction writers would say, the extra size does not disappear, it is shifted into the fifth dimension... :P
Aed

Post by Aed »

The "Creepy Little Girl" (also known as Conscience) has been described as an elemental, but I don't recall reading what kind of elemental (i.e. Gnome, Undine, Sylph, Salamander) she is. Do you?

I searched through the archives and found a story arc that gives some information about "Creepy Little Girl" and noticed that she is referred to as a demon-soul hybrid (Shelly's demons and Tina's soul), which leaves me wondering if referring to "Creepy Little Girl" as an elemental is a type of nickname indirectly describing how powerful she is, rather than a description of what she really is. :?

What do you think?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, I'd say she had elements of Earth, Wind, and Fire.

No, not THESE guys.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

Possibly a mis-spelling issue?

She's a covey of demons, who "ate" a human soul.

Therefore, she's an ailemental.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Aed wrote:The "Creepy Little Girl" (also known as Conscience) has been described as an elemental, but I don't recall reading what kind of elemental (i.e. Gnome, Undine, Sylph, Salamander) she is. Do you?
jwhouk wrote:Well, I'd say she had elements of Earth, Wind, and Fire.

No, not THESE guys.
I suspect Aed was hinting at THESE meddling do-gooders :P
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Aed

Post by Aed »

illiad

Post by illiad »

Grantwhy wrote:
Aed wrote:The "Creepy Little Girl" (also known as Conscience) has been described as an elemental, but I don't recall reading what kind of elemental (i.e. Gnome, Undine, Sylph, Salamander) she is. Do you?

No, not THESE guys.
earth, fire, wind, water, and..... ummmmmmm ??? :D
Aed

Post by Aed »

illiad wrote:
I believe that the word you're searching for is "Heart".
illiad

Post by illiad »

:D :D :D :? :lol:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

illiad wrote:
Metal
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Atomic wrote:
illiad wrote:
Metal
Different gal.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

What I want is a sketch of Atsali and Calista as Tubbs and Crockett from Miami Vice.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

illiad wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:

No, not THESE guys.

uuuuuuummmm, that would be Void...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Five_Rings
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

illiad wrote:earth, fire, wind, water, and..... ummmmmmm ??? :D

Plasma?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

scantrontb wrote:
illiad wrote:earth, fire, wind, water, and..... ummmmmmm ??? :D

Plasma?
Shizuma?