Cheap high-end smartphone - now with extra added malware

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Cheap high-end smartphone - now with extra added malware

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Spyware subsidizes high-end Android phone

Robin Harris wrote: Summary: We're all used to crapware subsidizing Windows PCs. Now firmware-based spyware is subsidizing Android phones. Here's what to look for.
Apparently, the phone comes with a hacked/spyware version of Google Play in firmware.

Why would you buy this phone?

...at least you're getting a lot of phone for your money: capacitive 5" HD IPS touch screen; quad-core processor; 1GB RAM; 8MP camera; Android 4.2; dual-SIM card support; second battery; car charger; and a second cover. All for as low as $135 online with no contract.
{full story}

Wonder if you could root it and load Cyanogenmod or a similar modified ROM.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Mark N

Re: Cheap high-end smartphone - now with extra added malware

Post by Mark N »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Spyware subsidizes high-end Android phone

Robin Harris wrote: Summary: We're all used to crapware subsidizing Windows PCs. Now firmware-based spyware is subsidizing Android phones. Here's what to look for.
Apparently, the phone comes with a hacked/spyware version of Google Play in firmware.

...at least you're getting a lot of phone for your money: capacitive 5" HD IPS touch screen; quad-core processor; 1GB RAM; 8MP camera; Android 4.2; dual-SIM card support; second battery; car charger; and a second cover. All for as low as $135 online with no contract.
{full story}

Knowing the genius of the spyware creators (just because I despise them doesn't mean that I can ignore simple truths) I would figure that the spyware would be un-rootable.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Cheap high-end smartphone - now with extra added malware

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Mark N wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Spyware subsidizes high-end Android phone

{full story}

Knowing the genius of the spyware creators (just because I despise them doesn't mean that I can ignore simple truths) I would figure that the spyware would be un-rootable.
It would have to have two ROMs - one with the spyware and the regular, flashable ROM.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.