Jennie Breeden Guest Art 2014-06-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Jennie Breeden Guest Art 2014-06-20

Post by jwhouk »

D'awwwww!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Mark N

Re: Jennie Breeden Guest Art 2014-06-20

Post by Mark N »

Another good one O' Mistress of the Devils Panties :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

I'm unfamiliar with the concept of making dolls out of daffodils* but since there's such things as cornhusk angels, I won't press the issue. :mrgreen:

*a quick 'net search for "daffodil doll" revealed many ways to make them from yarn or felt; actual daffodils, not so much
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Were daffodil dolls some sort of a "thing" back in the 70's or 80's, or is this just Katherine being a bit different as usual?
eee

Post by eee »

Awwww, cute!!!

(Googles 'Daffodil doll")

Hm. I can't tell if we're talking about a manufactured doll put out by Kenner in the 80's or something handmade, like a cornhusk doll or a knit doll. If it were actually made out of plant materials I'd think Castela would be having convulsions from sheer joy.

Katherine was an orphan, though. The orphanage or a foster parent must have given her the doll.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

While not specifically Daffodils (Cue Rocky/Bullwinkle/Aesop's Fables...), I have seen Corn Husk Dolls made from almost everything else...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Kath had parents AFAWK. They just didn't tell her where she was found.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Kath had parents AFAWK. They just didn't tell her where she was found.
"Gilchrist" is not the sort of name an orphanage hands a foundling, i'd say. So yeah, she was probably adopted.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
as363

Post by as363 »

Another great Guest strip . Now - only 3 days until the 23rd -and - hopefully Mr.P. will be back with news that his move went well. I'd even settle for a few more guest strips on that news.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

So cuuuute! This same thing has happened to most of the stuffies that remained with my wife, as well as those I gave her when we were dating...

On a side note, I really like the exposed brick Kath has going on in her place. The industrial look seems to be quite popular with people of my vintage.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Jennie does a marvelous job of emulating Paul's characters while retaining her own style.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AmriloJim wrote:Jennie does a marvelous job of emulating Paul's characters while retaining her own style.
Agreed!

It doesn't hurt that the formation of the new Gilchrist family is one of the nicest things to have happened in Wapsi Square in recent years. Buckets of chocolate-flavored cuteness, plenty of room for character growth and drama, and Katherine out of her phobic shell and really alive once again.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

As someone who watched older sisters go through certain doll phases through the 70s, and usually keeping an eye on not just the main toy lines, but the knock-offs and bandwagon-jumpers, I'm pretty sure there were flower-based dolls at some point in the recent past similar to the Daffodil.