Tossed Aside 2014-03-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
illiad

Re: Tossed Aside 2014-03-18

Post by illiad »

:) since no-one has noticed (and there seem to be similar mistakes in google search...) , in my dictionary..

'Pared' = to trim down
'Paired' = to join together

:)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It has been noted and logged.

As to Jin: Yes, it appears both Bia and Jin have FUBAR'ed, but in time-wise terms, Bia's got a few thousand years head start on Jin.

And I sitll contend that May would be going ape-#### if she found out her daughter was talking to Bia the Biatch.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

Fairportfan wrote:Jin, you gotta learn to see the good side of you
I would imagine Jin IS aware of her good side, but that she doesn't ignore all the harm she did trying to fix the Calendar Machine. This seems more like a brutal, hard eyed evaluation of herself.

Also, I would assume the innocents she's talking of killing were during the Chimera rampage, as she at one point told Brandi she hadn't deliberately killed anyone. Yet.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Fairportfan wrote:Okay.

A) Katherine let Atsali out of the house in a one-piece so form-fitting it shows her belly-button? (Though it looks as if the upper portion must have been designed for support by Monica's bra-maker or else Other Things would be making their presence known)

B) The MiB are "paring" young paranormals? Do they have a great big cooking pot, too?
A) Look at the side of Atsali's suit in the first frame, she's wearing a sports bra.

B) *fixed* Hit F5
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Wapsi wrote:A) Look at the side of Atsali's suit in the first frame, she's wearing a sports bra.
I figured.

Everybody who reads this forum ought be used to my tendency to half-witticisms by now.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Jin is right in what she is doing. She is not a hero nor does she want to be one. She did what had to be done and set no limits on in. Anything that needed to be done she did it. While she could live with it she did not enjoy it so now being made a hero because of all the things she did is a bitter pill. Being admired for the big picture when you know all the dirty little things done to get there is not what Jin wants. SO trying to squelch that view in a hurry is very natural.

Another aspect of that is Jin knows she was insane during this period. She is still coming to terms with being cured but remembering all the things she did. It is very hard to look back at such a past and then accept them. "okay I did these things. They were not right, they were not nice, but they were necessary. My state of mind let me do them and not shed a tear. I can accept that but it is not something I am proud of. Now I see them for what they were and try and live with it and not let it cut me up inside. Put them behind and move forward." In that state of mind being told you are admired for your actions is very hard to accept.

Like some of us in Vietnam. We did what we had to. We lived through it. We dealt with the results and moved on. But don't tell us we are heros because we sure don't feel like it. Some were real heros but most just did the dirty little things that needed to be done and got out alive. Nuff said.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Sometimes, people are so busy coming to terms with the bad they've done, they don't come to terms with the good as well.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:Like some of us in Vietnam. We did what we had to. We lived through it. We dealt with the results and moved on. But don't tell us we are heros because we sure don't feel like it. Some were real heros but most just did the dirty little things that needed to be done and got out alive. Nuff said.
Somewhat off-track, but have you read any of David Drake's SF?

He served in Nam with the 11th Cav; he was supposed to be an interrogator, but he often wound up crewing tanks. His stuff began as an attempt to process his memories.

Two books, in particular, Rolling Hot and Redliners, look respectively at the process that makes a soldier and what happens to soldiers who have seen too much, too fast.

Drake's books books don't make war an antiseptic bloodless video game - they're violent and the combat is nasty and scary.

But that's his point.

(I note that both are available as free Kindle editions. Best deal i've run across in quite a while.)
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:Sometimes, people are so busy coming to terms with the bad they've done, they don't come to terms with the good as well.
That's a better way of saying what i meant in the first post in the thread.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Fairportfan wrote:
zachariah wrote:Like some of us in Vietnam. We did what we had to. We lived through it. We dealt with the results and moved on. But don't tell us we are heros because we sure don't feel like it. Some were real heros but most just did the dirty little things that needed to be done and got out alive. Nuff said.
Somewhat off-track, but have you read any of David Drake's SF?

He served in Nam with the 11th Cav; he was supposed to be an interrogator, but he often wound up crewing tanks. His stuff began as an attempt to process his memories.

Two books, in particular, Rolling Hot and Redliners, look respectively at the process that makes a soldier and what happens to soldiers who have seen too much, too fast.

Drake's books books don't make war an antiseptic bloodless video game - they're violent and the combat is nasty and scary.

But that's his point.

(I note that both are available as free Kindle editions. Best deal i've run across in quite a while.)
That was why I said some of us. We all responded differently to coping with what we did. Some never managed to get past it. Some made it part of them selves, some gloried in it, some were disgusted by it. I did what I had to do, dealt with it, and then left it behind me. Not forgotten, but neither do I dwell on it. I think a number of us do that. That is where I think Jin is and I understand it if she is. That is all.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Poor Jin. However, she should look at it like Colonel O'Neil and Teal'c when Daniel told them offhand that it didn't matter what they did that it would just reset. That's when they started not to give a crap and started juggling and golfing through the Stargate and other weird stuff. It didn't matter it all reset and no one would remember. So whatever she did through those other loops I give her a pass on. Because like O'Neil and Teal'c it just didn't matter as long as they fixed that machine in the end.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
sheik

Post by sheik »

Re: the discussion above about Jin's mental condition.
I realize the song is about drug abuse, but like Fairportfan I am well aware that adrenaline and moral conflict can cause a similar condition.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Tina and Bia.

Tina and Atsali.

Hmmmm...

(edit: Ha! Upon posting that, I find I had meant to post 'Jin and...' to both. )
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

KnightDelight wrote:Ok, stop sugar coating it Jin. We have now had a glimpse into the dark side. Apparently Jin has more to live down than unwittingly having taken part in the disintegration of a few hundred thousand people and their homes. We can perhaps forgive some of it if we put it in the greater good category, or "given the circumstances" sort of thing, but murdering children is a bridge too far IMO. She may think so too. Her near suicide a while back may have been about more than just being tired of being alive. And, was it part of some sort of co-lateral damage that they died, or did she personally slit their throats? Without details it's hard to really judge.
It's not as though Jin is the only one to have confessed to such things.

While Jin's suicide apparently gave the chimera independence from the priests who created it, it's clear that neither of the three girls was really in control of what the chimera did. After they were separated again, it seems that they were given levels of independent action that varied from time to time. Who knows what they did when, and who was in control at the time?
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

If it is to be a Jin-Bia pairing, then this will come back into relevance:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/11122004/

Still thinking a Jin-Atsali pairing would do them both the most good.

Kinda hard to imagine who could really mentor Bia. Shelly would be an amusing choice.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Fairportfan wrote:
kingklash wrote:Sometimes, people are so busy coming to terms with the bad they've done, they don't come to terms with the good as well.
From my parents: You can measure someone by their successes, their failures, their dreams, or their attempts. Expect a different answer from each.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
illiad

Post by illiad »

Wdot wrote:Poor Jin. However, she should look at it like Colonel O'Neil and Teal'c when Daniel told them offhand that it didn't matter what they did that it would just reset. That's when they started not to give a crap and started juggling and golfing through the Stargate and other weird stuff. It didn't matter it all reset and no one would remember. So whatever she did through those other loops I give her a pass on. Because like O'Neil and Teal'c it just didn't matter as long as they fixed that machine in the end.
Heh, loved that episode... :)
I forgot what O'Neil was eating at the end, something unusual? "I just thought I'd try something different." :|
and the 'knowing' glances they make to carter, get her a bit "what? :D whaaaat?? :? "

if you havent seen it, it a bit like groundhog day... :P
illiad

Post by illiad »

Atomic wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
From my parents: You can measure someone by their successes, their failures, their dreams, or their attempts. Expect a different answer from each.
well some people I see regularly, seem to be disillusioned that they are 'just normal/ boring' .. I have to remind them that many people would not 'have a clue' to do what they do with such ease! :) so realise you do a very good job, and many would miss the good that you do!!! 8-) :mrgreen: