Mom Said 2014-01-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Grantwhy

Re: Mom Said 2014-01-06

Post by Grantwhy »

GuySmiley wrote:
Skruddgemire wrote:Really? I was in Minneapolis for 4 years when I was a teenager (85-89) and I remember prodigious snow storms that would have crippled other cities (Maryland's 2008 "Snowpocalypse" was nothing compared to the three-times a year storms we used to get), and standing on the side of the road waiting for the bus in -70 windchills.

And they're closing for -20?

Man they wussed out on me. Seriously, in 4 winters they closed school for one day when it was falling at a rate of a foot an hour for 8 solid hours and the plows could not keep up.
Same deal up here north of the 49th. In all the years I spent going to school it was only ever cancelled once (for 2 days) due to the blizzard of '97 that shut down the whole city. I'm not aware of school ever having been cancelled, in the city, since then either. Buses get cancelled all the time when the windchill goes below -40 (something about the school divisions not wanting to have kids waiting outside in case a bus breaks down in weather where frostbite occurs in under 10 minutes) but I always had to walk (both ways, up hill, ect) to school so that never affected me. :shock:
Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, many parts of Australia are suffering with record high temperatures.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weath ... 30dx5.html
Last week's extensive heatwave broke many site records.
for those that are wondering, 45C = 113F
The report comes just days after the bureau confirmed that last year was Australia’s hottest in more than a century of records, easily beating 2005.
Temperatures may hit 50 degrees on Thursday in north-west WA. Source: BoM
:o

If Monica would like to set up a Snow *Poit!*ing business, us Aussies would like to be her best customers :)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Skywatcher68 wrote:It's so cold in the Twin Cities today that people are scraping ice off both sides of their windshields.
That used to be a nearly daily event when I lived in Utah back in the 1970s. I remember windshield washer fluid freezing to the windshield, too. And the place I used to ice race hasn't held a race this century.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Skywatcher68 wrote:
Skruddgemire wrote:
Yamara wrote:Oh, I wouldn't worry, Atsali. It's not like every schoolkid in Minnesota is stuck at home on a Monday just surfing for funny videos.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-win ... s-20140103

What are the odds.
Really? I was in Minneapolis for 4 years when I was a teenager (85-89) and I remember prodigious snow storms that would have crippled other cities (Maryland's 2008 "Snowpocalypse" was nothing compared to the three-times a year storms we used to get), and standing on the side of the road waiting for the bus in -70 windchills.

And they're closing for -20?

Man they wussed out on me. Seriously, in 4 winters they closed school for one day when it was falling at a rate of a foot an hour for 8 solid hours and the plows could not keep up.
It's so cold in the Twin Cities today that people are scraping ice off both sides of their windshields.
Especially those who left a window open!