Evening Agenda 2014-02-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
kingklash

Re: Evening Agenda 2014-02-05

Post by kingklash »

KnightDelight wrote:So grandmother and granddaughter indulge their primitive instincts from time to time. I wonder what Shelly's dad would think of that sort of behavior? (when the hell are we gonna hear from him about all this) I'm not too sure even Justin would be ok with it. I guess it's an outlet for those tendencies though. Probably also saves a number of Library Apos from the swift and certain fist of instant and bloody doom. Especially now with two powerful sphinxes. They would make a formidable team against any of the would-be Apo-snacks roaming the vast halls of books. Apo-tartar doesn't sound too appealing, but I'll bet it's filling.
You've never met a real Comanche, have you? Us Plains Tribes are great with the meat dishes. Buffalo was out main big animal, then the Europeans brought their cattle here, and we just went along because, it's meat. My Grandma used to buy a big batch of fresh tripe from the local meat locker, and call her sisters over to help clean it in the old way, which involved running buckets of water through until it ran clean and clear, then it could be prepared several different ways, including chopping it into sections, putting a portion of steak in each section, tying off the ends with string, and boiling it until tripe and steak are cooked through. There was also just plain tripe soup, as well. Although, my grandmas were capable of butchering a cow by themselves, if need be.

Man, i just made myself hungry.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

As soon as i find a restaurant who can certify that they use cruelty-free veal, i will happily indulge my tastes for veal marsala and saltimbocca again. (Chicken marsala is okay, but it really should be veal...)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Jabberwonky wrote: Apologies, I know I look like and apostate for someone who would normally apotheosize these sorts of goings on. But, I'm going to remain apolitical and not push the apogee of this particular discussion for fear of an apocolyptical retaliation from the pun jar.
Now, I'm off to the apothecary for an apodeictic offering to save us all...

(I know, as an apologue, this sphinx)

=̊Ϸ
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote:Maybe they were having Veal instead of Steak?
## wince ##

Very good indeed, DilyV! I think you're onto something with that suggestion. It does appear that Phix may be trotting out the fatted calf today. There's a lot of symbolism in that... the return of one who was believed to have been lost forever (the Prodigal Son). Perhaps this foreshadows the return of Tina as a unified entity?

(On the other hand, Paul might be making a reference to this forum: not to the Prodigal Son, but to the Prodigious Pun, carried through the streets on the back of a little bull ;) )
I was wondering if anyone would get the Calf reference.... =D
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

cmdrpowers wrote:
starkruzr wrote:"Vorp?" How is Phix's teleportation different?
Phix is using the Stargate network somehow. Though I didn't know there was a Stargate nexus at the island. Or, she just knows how to use the Stargate system better than most folks. Those who can't Poit go with those who do or they use the Stargates.
i don't think that there NEEDS to be a nexus/gate at the Island... if one was needed, then they would never have gotten Nudge back from the volcano that Monica poited her into... or do you think that there was a gate set up in the NEWLY created caldera specifically for that purpose? Nah, applying Occam's Razor to this means that there are at least four different ways of long-distance-instantaneous-travel... the first form we know about is the Poit ability that Monica and the GG's use. then the second is the Stone Arch Stargates that the Ethetians/Anasazi used, Third: the Vorp effect from the Library's Portal System that Phix just used (i am also assuming it is the same system as the one that hijacked Bud to put her inside Mapimi with Katherine and Atsali) and then there is the fourth one, the normal looking doorways that lead *elsewhere*... an example being the Annex door that leads to the Library if you are allowed access... or to the abandoned building, if you DON'T have that level of access... which also seems to be the same type as the one that Atsali/Katherine traveled thru from the Library itself to the old mineshaft as they never really mentioned anything about the portal itself, just that they started walking thru and *poof* suddenly they were elsewhere, but the actual transition was so seamless that it took them a bit to actually realize that they weren't where they started out anymore...
and i would not be surprised that there are even more systems in use that we, the readers, have not yet been made aware of.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That might explain that "doorway" that Nudge was coming through when she came upon Phix after her last Apo Barbecue.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

scantrontb wrote:i don't think that there NEEDS to be a nexus/gate at the Island... if one was needed, then they would never have gotten Nudge back from the volcano that Monica poited her into... or do you think that there was a gate set up in the NEWLY created caldera specifically for that purpose? Nah, applying Occam's Razor to this means that there are at least four different ways of long-distance-instantaneous-travel... the first form we know about is the Poit ability that Monica and the GG's use. then the second is the Stone Arch Stargates that the Ethetians/Anasazi used, Third: the Vorp effect from the Library's Portal System that Phix just used (i am also assuming it is the same system as the one that hijacked Bud to put her inside Mapimi with Katherine and Atsali) and then there is the fourth one, the normal looking doorways that lead *elsewhere*... an example being the Annex door that leads to the Library if you are allowed access... or to the abandoned building, if you DON'T have that level of access... which also seems to be the same type as the one that Atsali/Katherine traveled thru from the Library itself to the old mineshaft as they never really mentioned anything about the portal itself, just that they started walking thru and *poof* suddenly they were elsewhere, but the actual transition was so seamless that it took them a bit to actually realize that they weren't where they started out anymore...
and i would not be surprised that there are even more systems in use that we, the readers, have not yet been made aware of.
According to the bird-nerd, the stargates work by means of "akashic records and quantum theory". I see no reason to suppose that most of the other teleportation techniques don't work along the same basic principles, just with different user interfaces. The Library doorways and the old tapestry portal are like one of those limited use telephones, where it is either turned off or else only connects to one other specific phone. The stargates use the same underlying principles but allow the user to dial different destinations. Poiting and the Library's vorping might be for those who have advanced to the point where they don't even need the physical tools to dial.

The plutonium relic thingy might work in some other way, I suppose. It was explicitly stated that wormholes are involved in it somehow, while Atsali said that wormholes aren't really part of the stargate system.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Bellisario's Maxim, everyone.

In the end, it's all teleportation. We just differentiate it by sound effects.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

In the Oh My Goddess universes, the process is actually caused by Yggdrasil, the supercomputer that "paints" existence using the super string being directed to stop "painting" your body at location "A" and start "painting" it at location "B". Your consciousness simply follows your avatar/terminal as it is moved about.
Various visual images can be used to symbolize the line of transfer, usually glowing disks, mirror surfaces, fuzzy lines and such, but they are just artistic license.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yggdrasil... That sounds familiar... wasn't that the name they gave the tree in that one graveyard in Ireland...?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

jwhouk wrote:Yggdrasil... That sounds familiar... wasn't that the name they gave the tree in that one graveyard in Ireland...?

Nordic mythology names Yggdrasil as "the Tree of Life".
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

jwhouk wrote:Yggdrasil... That sounds familiar... wasn't that the name they gave the tree in that one graveyard in Ireland...?
Yes, but they found the doohickey - or A doohickey - in the German U-boat, and didn't have to go to Ireland.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

*gaaaaaasp* :o A loose thread!! Or - more likely - a red herring.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
pinglederry

Post by pinglederry »

Fairportfan wrote:Hate to be picky, but there's ... something ... about Phix's lower legs that's just ... off.
I think it's something that tends to happen with women's legs in art when an artist always always has to draw them with a crotch gap triangle even when the woman being drawn is supposed to have very thick/muscular thighs (very few women who aren't very thin and/or bowlegged actually have visible crotch gaps when walking/standing/sitting with their legs mostly straight). The hips and legs end up looking kind of weird, especially with the short-waist-super-long-legs style that Paul uses. ...unless you're talking about something else. That's what mostly jumped out at me.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

MerchManDan wrote:*gaaaaaasp* :o A loose thread!!
A loose superstring end that needs to be woven into the finished project? That would take a rather peculiar set of knitting needles.