Heavy Metal 2014-01-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Heavy Metal 2014-01-30

Post by DilyV »

Wapsi wrote:
DilyV wrote:Two things I'd like to see...

Atsali in a Rush shirt

and

This pose of atsali as she is now... good lord... I imagine that statement would really work now!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14&start=1360#p24309
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/161214325375
Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Suh-WEEEEEEET!!!!!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Atsali in a Rush shirt
Y'know, that's one of those bands that I keep hearing about but have never gotten around to actually listening to. Maybe this time I'll remember to do so.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Catawampus wrote: Y'know, that's one of those bands that I keep hearing about but have never gotten around to actually listening to. Maybe this time I'll remember to do so.
:shock:

You... have never heard... RUSH????

Someone get this man a copy of Chronicles, STAT!

Get caught UP, man!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I've heard Rush. I know i have.

I seem to have found them utterly non-memorable.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Catawampus wrote:

Atsali in a Rush shirt
Y'know, that's one of those bands that I keep hearing about but have never gotten around to actually listening to. Maybe this time I'll remember to do so.
Farewell to Kings and Exit Stage Left.... Best. Rush. Ever.

Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Fairportfan wrote:I've heard Rush. I know i have.

And to continue my apostasy: I despise AC/DC, and think Metallica were both overrated and boring.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:

And to continue my apostasy: I despise AC/DC, and think Metallica were both overrated and boring.
Jeez, FF! Next thing we know, you'll be claiming that Oingo Boingo isn't the best South African klezmer/pokla band to ever light up the stage in Terre Haute!

Will heresy never cease?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Fairportfan wrote:

Taken with your current avatar, that's sending some mixed messages ...

I'll take Deep Purple, or at least some of their albums. And the Black Album was okay, I suppose. But I've always been more into prog rock than metal.

(And to narrow me further down: Revolution 9 is the only Beatles track I skip. I skip no ELO track. I've been known to listen to both ABBA and Fleetwood Mac, when I'm in the mood, or Bach and Mussorgsky for that matter. I grew up with '80s pop music, so much of it comes with a nostalgia factor, but Kate Bush was infinitely better in the '70s.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Fleetwood Mac/Mussorgsky. Now THAT would be a mashup! Rumors on Bald Mountain, anyone?

Irrelevant Link just for funz.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

When I was in the Army I made friends with a Sergeant who had a lot of older classic rock and classical music. As a result, a lot of people in the unit would knock on his door and ask what music was playing... After a while, they began borrowing his CDs and before long,you could hear classical music throughout the barracks. Now, my musical tastes run from Classical to techno/house/trance and beyond. I think the only music I don't like is Rap and all this r&b stuff.

As far as Atsali goes, I don't think it matters what shirt she wears... If she wore a Tchikovsky T-shirt, you'd start hearing people listening to the 1812 overture pretty quick. Advertising is all in the presentation.... hehehe

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Revolution No. 9 is NOT music. It is gibberish that John Lennon thought was recordable. He was wrong.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Revolution No. 9 is NOT music. It is gibberish that John Lennon thought was recordable. He was wrong.
<pedantic> Beg to differ. It was recordable. The recording exists, therefore it was recordable. </pedantic>

Now, the question of whether it is listenable is another kettle of fish heads entirely.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:As far as Atsali goes, I don't think it matters what shirt she wears... If she wore a Tchikovsky T-shirt, you'd start hearing people listening to the 1812 overture pretty quick. Advertising is all in the presentation.... hehehe
Don't get her started on the 1812 Overture. She'd probably insist that her air-guitar version needed real cannons... or something bigger... like another volcanic nuclear kablooey in the desert, or perhaps several of them.

Ever hear the Portsmouth Sinfonia version? Not to be missed, never to be forgotten. Not even with copious quantities of strong drink.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Revolution No. 9 is NOT music. It is gibberish that John Lennon thought was recordable. He was wrong.
<pedantic> Beg to differ. It was recordable. The recording exists, therefore it was recordable. </pedantic>

Now, the question of whether it is listenable is another kettle of fish heads entirely.
You are, indeed, correct. Lennon thought it was "listenable". He was on something when he determined that.

"Revolution" is one of those songs that the Beatles should have never tampered with after the original was put out there (the "hard rock" version).
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:

As in the rolly, poley type?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

=====================
=====================
mike weber
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

jwhouk wrote:
Dave wrote:

You are, indeed, correct. Lennon thought it was "listenable". He was on something when he determined that.
I believe it was a hallucinogen known as Yoko.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Fairportfan wrote:Best version of "Revolution" i know of is not by the Beatles.
FF, you're a great guy and funny and all, but no. That isn't the best version. That's almost as slow as Revolution #2 (from the White Album).
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote:As far as Atsali goes, I don't think it matters what shirt she wears... If she wore a Tchikovsky T-shirt, you'd start hearing people listening to the 1812 overture pretty quick. Advertising is all in the presentation.... hehehe
Don't get her started on the 1812 Overture. She'd probably insist that her air-guitar version needed real cannons... or something bigger... like another volcanic nuclear kablooey in the desert, or perhaps several of them.

Ever hear the Portsmouth Sinfonia version? Not to be missed, never to be forgotten. Not even with copious quantities of strong drink.
I played 2nd Howitzer on the 1812 Overture once. I think we deafened half the audience with a full size cannon inside a concert hall. A propane cannon would have been adequate for the hall, but we had 105s and even the "signal" round from one of them has a pound of explosives in it.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

jwhouk wrote:You... have never heard... RUSH????
Eh, I've probably heard it at some time (in a passing car, in the background of a movie scene, whatever), but had no idea who it was performing. I've never had anybody say, "Hey, listen to this song by Rush!" or picked up a Rush album and listened to it. I couldn't even tell you the name of any of their songs, or even their albums (unless they went the route of naming the first album after the band, in which case I could at least get one).
Atomic wrote:Fleetwood Mac/Mussorgsky. Now THAT would be a mashup! Rumors on Bald Mountain, anyone?
Most "Mussorgsky" is already a mash-up, thanks to Rimsky-Korsakov.
DilyV wrote:When I was in the Army I made friends with a Sergeant who had a lot of older classic rock and classical music. As a result, a lot of people in the unit would knock on his door and ask what music was playing... After a while, they began borrowing his CDs and before long,you could hear classical music throughout the barracks. Now, my musical tastes run from Classical to techno/house/trance and beyond. I think the only music I don't like is Rap and all this r&b stuff.
I wasn't really introduced to music or television or cinema until I was well into my adult years (around 1989 or thereabout), at which point I was constantly traveling all over the world. Which meant that I all at once had access to a huge range of music styles and had absolutely no childhood ideas of what "proper" music ought to be. As a result, I have a rather large music collection that people routinely describe as bizarrely diverse or eccentrically unfocused. I just think of most of those people as being sadly limited.

For my first birthday this year, I went to the music store (there's only one in this region, along with only one book store, so it is the music store) and picked out a few CDs. The clerk looked at my selection and told me that he couldn't think of any way to make it more random.
Dave wrote:

Or perhaps it wasn't recordable, and that's why it sounds like it does. All of the good parts wouldn't stick to the vinyl.
Dave wrote:Don't get her started on the 1812 Overture. She'd probably insist that her air-guitar version needed real cannons...
If you want fun (rather evil fun, but fun nonetheless), covertly place some mountain howitzers loaded with blank rounds beneath the Visiting Officers & Dignitaries seating section during an outdoor performance of that work, and then make use of them at the appropriate moment.