Paying Attention 2014-01-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Julie

Re: Paying Attention 2014-01-22

Post by Julie »

scantrontb wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:what the hell happened to the previous one, considering they are immortal?
i would assume that she died out when her universe itself died out... as per Georgette's Guidance, the last one was from a previous universe, and that for whatever reasons unknown to us, it wasn't until now that the conditions were right for the formation of another.
Actually, the Jaguar Girl may not necessarily be immortal. The phoenix blood gave Monica access to astral fire and the ability to be reborn at the age she was when the key was stabbed into her head, but that particular feature of her powers might not actually be connected to her role as Jaguar Girl. After all, Georegtte's Guidance noticed that M isn't just the Jaguar Girl.

Also...and I'm fully prepared for Paul to prove me 100% wrong about this...I'm wondering if Bia was/is a Jaguar Girl, perhaps even the one Guidance remembered. We don't know if the "pool" of Jaguar Girl candidates is limited to humans or demigod or what, so she might have been in that role even as a Titan...and as a Titan, she might be able to exist beyond the ending of a universe (i.e. time looping). All we know about the previous Jaguar Girl is that she "was bad-ass...demons and sphinxes alike respected her." Plus, Guidance said that only a Jaguar Girl can enter the demon host's quantum space, and Bia was in Tina's quantum space just a few pages ago.

Just my thoughts on the matter. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Julie wrote:Plus, Guidance said that only a Jaguar Girl can enter the demon host's quantum space, and Bia was in Tina's quantum space just a few pages ago.

Was Bia in her demon quantum space, or in a dream - her first since the accident?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

illiad wrote:also demons, apos or whatever make the body seem normal to normal medical instruments... eg when the golem girls were given a check up, the normal pulse, xrays, etc produced what was expected.. not an 'empty' clay body... :P
Pulse, xrays, etc? When was that?

Since http://wapsisquare.com/comic/quitplayingdead/ I've assumed they had no pulse ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
illiad

Post by illiad »

Sidhekin wrote:
illiad wrote:also demons, apos or whatever make the body seem normal to normal medical instruments... eg when the golem girls were given a check up, the normal pulse, xrays, etc produced what was expected.. not an 'empty' clay body... :P

Since http://wapsisquare.com/comic/quitplayingdead/ I've assumed they had no pulse ...
well it was something like this and the next few..... when a girl is that 'banged up' there have to be xrays, blood samples, pulse rate, etc... As May said, she is still a golem, a clay model, with Apos to make her seem and act human...
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Julie wrote:Plus, Guidance said that only a Jaguar Girl can enter the demon host's quantum space, and Bia was in Tina's quantum space just a few pages ago.

Was Bia in her demon quantum space, or in a dream - her first since the accident?
As Tina was Tina, and not her individual demons I suspect wherever they were it was not 'demon quantum space'.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Grantwhy wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:

As Tina was Tina, and not her individual demons I suspect wherever they were it was not 'demon quantum space'.
Not to mention that at this point they may be cut off from Demon Quantum Space.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No May about it. Once she came through with Bud, the last portal was closed permanently.

I wonder how Shelly's scars are healing...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

illiad wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:

well it was something like this and the next few..... when a girl is that 'banged up' there have to be xrays, blood samples, pulse rate, etc... As May said, she is still a golem, a clay model, with Apos to make her seem and act human...
("Apos"?)

Yeah, I forgot about that one, thanks.

Seriously, though, had you written "Jin" rather than "the golem girls", I'd have remembered. ;-)

I wonder if that's for golems in "human" mode only. What's gained, lost, and retained in the "mode shift" has not been spelled out. The other alternative seems to be that golems have conscious control of their pulse, and that sounds like an unnecessary multiplication of entities. Not that Occam's razor should ever lightly be applied to works of fiction, mind ...

Julie

Post by Julie »

Grantwhy wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:

That's a fair point that didn't occur to me...but I still think it was demon quantum space. :) There's just something up with Tina that caused her to manifest as her human form in there.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

A hard, but fair lesson for Astali. I'm not sure how she managed to grow up paranormal with other paranormals and get freaked out by this, but better now than later. Was Monica harder on her than needed, maybe, but then Monica has never been a mom, so she doesn't exactly have experience with children except as equals.
illiad

Post by illiad »

as I said elsewhere :) ... are demons allowed out to the mall?? if not, that could be why...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

illiad wrote:as I said elsewhere :) ... are demons allowed out to the mall?? if not, that could be why...
I get the impression that under normal conditions demons aren't really able to leave their host, and spend the lifespan of their host internalised. So they go to the mall all of the time, but only in their humans. Tina, Shelly, Monica and Jin are all special cases.

Tina is a situation where the demons were left behind after their host moved on, which doesn't seem to be a thing that happens often. They're no longer bound to Tina, because there is no Tina in the original sense.

Shelly and Monica are apparently "doorways" of some sort.

Jin ended up accidentally borrowing a demon from Monica, which formed some sort of demon-link.

All of the other unassigned demons are off in the Demon Realm, doing whatever demony things they do there.

So I'd imagine that it's not so much that demons are not allowed into the mall or other parts of paranormal society, and more that the demons just aren't usually there to be allowed or disallowed. It's sort of like asking whether or not penguins are allowed to migrate across Algeria.
illiad

Post by illiad »

hmmm, yeah.. I'm lost for a proper definition here... what would Tina's be called?? there must be other 'unassigned demons' about... It may just be a 'grey area' like in RL, where there are hundreds of people that are unknown to gov, etc...
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Reading between the lines, I'd say there are no (ETA:) other "unassigned demons" about on Earth or any realm other than the "demon realm" / "demon space" Bud visited to destroy the Calendar and rescue Maya.

ETA: Other than Tina's, obviously. Tina's exceptional.

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Monica's used the term "Free Range Demons" before, so I'd vote for that.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin