Not Like That 2014-01-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Catawampus

Re: Not Like That 2014-01-21

Post by Catawampus »

Keep in mind that most of the people commenting here have "known" Tina for many years of her growth and development, and for some readers it has even been in real-time years. So we've had a chance to get to know her as a person (persons?).

Imagine that you're a first-time reader, though, who clicked on a link to yesterday's comic as your very first introduction to Wapsi Square and Tina. Seeing her described as a bunch of demons taking over a dead body would likely give you a rather negative or shocked impression. Then, imagine if you were to be actually there meeting her in person for the first time as she was described as that.

Yes, Atsali did get out of line and show a rather bad lack of tact and empathy. On the other hand, Monica did a rather poor job of introductions.
Grantwhy wrote:Ok, now I'm glad I didn't use the British term for a kitty, a la Mrs. Slocombe from [Are You Being Served] [quotes] [Youtube]
I knew a teenaged girl whose somewhat senile great-grandmother was still alive, and who would frequently loudly refer to the girl as that. In public. In front of the girl's friends. I'm not sure just how much of the tormenting was unwitting, though. . .

It used to be a perfectly tame and acceptable term of endearment, as reading Ms Marple stories and suchlike will show you.
Julie

Re: Not Like That 2014-01-21

Post by Julie »

Atsali needs to turn on her "Don't Be A Dick" meter (funny how she's about as socially aware in this situation as her little sister was at the mall) and M needs to turn on her "Explain Things Better To Avoid Social Faux Pas By The Uninitiated" ability since Atsali is making (rude but potentially understandable) statements based on very limited information.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."