Grounded And Smart 2013-12-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Grounded And Smart 2013-12-05

Post by jwhouk »

scantrontb wrote:
jwhouk wrote:That makes sense.
I have no clue as to WHY i thought you were talking about Bmonk's comment above, about the lady that objected to the deer crossing signs, but that was the first thing i thought when i read your post, and i'm thinking that you thought that was "reasonable?!"... i thought she was a nut-job, personally... i had to go back and real thru them again to realize you weren't talking about his comment, but to PAUL'S comment, for that to make sense...
I really should start using the quote button, shouldn't I? :?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Wapsi wrote:Atsali grew taller with her "growth spurt" in addition to her chest size. She is now about 5'10", prior she was about 5'4".
Yay! Height data!
*cracks knuckles*
[southern accent] It's number crunchin' time! [/southern accent]

(Time passes...)

Ok, so I had to break out the pencil and paper (and some old high school honors physics notebooks) for this one. This is as far as I got:

link to image of my calculations so far

So, does anyone remember how to calculate the torque on a diagonal strut when a vertical downward force is applied to the top end and the bottom end is affixed to a pivot? (I simplified Astali's body a bit... There's no way I am going to do all the calculations necessary for each muscle and bone between the breasts and the pelvis...)

EDIT:

Just realized my current value for the force of gravity exerted on Astali's boobs should be doubled, seeing as Astali has two boobs... D'oh!

Interesting findings: according to my math, Astali is lugging around almost twenty pounds of breast tissue. DAYUM!
Wow...this is so many kinds of awesome I don't even know what to say. :D Favorite Person of the Day awarded!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Wapsi wrote:Atsali grew taller with her "growth spurt" in addition to her chest size. She is now about 5'10", prior she was about 5'4".
Yay! Height data!
*cracks knuckles*
[southern accent] It's number crunchin' time! [/southern accent]

(Time passes...)

Ok, so I had to break out the pencil and paper (and some old high school honors physics notebooks) for this one. This is as far as I got:

link to image of my calculations so far

So, does anyone remember how to calculate the torque on a diagonal strut when a vertical downward force is applied to the top end and the bottom end is affixed to a pivot? (I simplified Astali's body a bit... There's no way I am going to do all the calculations necessary for each muscle and bone between the breasts and the pelvis...)

EDIT:

Just realized my current value for the force of gravity exerted on Astali's boobs should be doubled, seeing as Astali has two boobs... D'oh!

Interesting findings: according to my math, Astali is lugging around almost twenty pounds of breast tissue. DAYUM!
It's simpler if you postulate a spherical Astali . . .

(Sorry, old Math jokes never vanish; they just approach zero....)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

bmonk wrote:(Sorry, old Math jokes never vanish; they just approach zero....)
LOLed when I read that in Sheldon Cooper's voice.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Julie wrote: Wow...this is so many kinds of awesome I don't even know what to say. :D Favorite Person of the Day awarded!
Yay, two FPotD awards!

Heeheehee... Who says math is useless in today's world? :geek:
bmonk wrote: It's simpler if you postulate a spherical Astali . . .

(Sorry, old Math jokes never vanish; they just approach zero....)
I did simplify Astali into what amounts to a 20lb bowling ball on a pivoting stick at a 75deg. Angle from vertical. It's not quite as drastic as a perfectly spherical Balrog, but it's close.

I'm not sure how my physics teacher would react to my current activities... He'd either burst out laughing or he'd just groan and facepalm...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Corrections made and progress made!!!

I figured out how to calculate the torque...
(Multiply force by the perpendicular distance from the center of the breasts to the simplified spine)

Then I realized I didn't account for Astali's torso (not the breasts, the actual torso). Crap.

So I added the front-to-back thickness of Astali's pre-puberty chest to the perpendicular distance between the center of Astali's breasts and her simplified spine.

This totally screwed up my calculations, so I re-did all of the ones impacted by the new numbers.

So, in the end, Astali's breasts exert 14.741161191052 ft*lbs of torque on the pivot point I placed at her hip.

...holding a 7.5 baby at arm's length produces about as much torque. :o
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

*MASSIVE FACEPALM*

...I just realized I've been spelling Atsali's name wrong... Ugh... Sorry, everyone. I'm certainly glad I decided to be an engineer.

:oops:
I'm too much!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

GlytchMeister wrote:*MASSIVE FACEPALM*

...I just realized I've been spelling Atsali's name wrong... Ugh... Sorry, everyone. I'm certainly glad I decided to be an engineer.

The way you swapped letters looks like dyslexia and as an engineer with dyslexia you will most likely misplace some digits and accidentally invent Star Drive. (Before the attack because I pointed to dyslexia, know that I have it. :roll: )
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Mark N wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:*MASSIVE FACEPALM*

The way you swapped letters looks like dyslexia and as an engineer with dyslexia you will most likely misplace some digits and accidentally invent Star Drive. (Before the attack because I pointed to dyslexia, know that I have it. :roll: )
Nah, I just had a prolonged brain fart. I can confirm it isn't dyslexia. I was reading high-school-sophomore-level books in grade school and asking the school librarian if she had anything harder... She handed me Men of Iron. According to that school's classification system, it was the most difficult book in the library to read (due in part to all of the "thee's and thou's). I finished it rather quickly and aced the book report.
So no dyslexia. ADHD, on the other hand, is an entirely diff- Ooh, a penny!
I'm too much!
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

GlytchMeister wrote:...I just realized I've been spelling Atsali's name wrong..
There there. I was halfway through The Two Towers when I told a friend about the series. He took one glance at a page of Fellowship and pointed out that the Ringbearer's name was Frodo, not Fordo.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Prester Fred wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:...I just realized I've been spelling Atsali's name wrong..
There there. I was halfway through The Two Towers when I told a friend about the series. He took one glance at a page of Fellowship and pointed out that the Ringbearer's name was Frodo, not Fordo.
*issshhh*
Oooh... That must have stung.
I'm too much!
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Prester Fred wrote:There there. I was halfway through The Two Towers when I told a friend about the series. He took one glance at a page of Fellowship and pointed out that the Ringbearer's name was Frodo, not Fordo.
*issshhh*
Oooh... That must have stung.
Definitely not my proudest moment...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Hey, at least you didn't call him Freddy.

I had a bit of trouble one time when I was preparing for publication a study on Listeria while at the same time writing up for school a paper on Aristophanes' Lysistrata. I'm still not sure whether a Lysistrata infection would be comedic or tragic.