Do A Lap 2013-12-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
meisdadoo

Re: Do A Lap 2013-12-16

Post by meisdadoo »

loxmyth wrote:"Naturally buoyant" -- Do sirens have bird-like hollow bones, to reduce their weight for flight? That would certainly enhance flotation... but it also means increased vulnerability to some kinds of injury.

(The Sphynxes don't exactly seem like lightweights or fragile, on the other hand. Magic (or whatever we're calling the paranormal) undoubtedly plays a part in getting them into the air. So maybe that's true for Atsali's people too.)
Lightweight bones for flight and boobs float. Big boobs REALLY float.

And for your enjoyment, a video of what Atsali could do to a mermaid if she was so inclined.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Someone's going to post a link to Chubby Mermaid, so it might as well be me...
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:
KnightDelight wrote: Also, since her breast size is beyond her morphing control, does that mean she could get breast reduction surgery? I would think she would like to do that if she could.
No surgeon would even consider it for a 15 year old with out extensive reasons.
Soleil Moon Frye, star of Punky Brewster, underwent breast-reduction surgery three months before her sixteenth birthday, and she wasn't nearly as disproportionately large-busted as Atsali.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

CraigR wrote:I hope Mrs. Adler is a cephalomorph, like Ursula from The Little Mermaid. :)
For all we know, she could be the woman who was talking to Bud at the mall.
TheDOCTOR wrote:Seriously, good job teach, one person in class screws up, EVERYBODY PAYS.
That's one of those discipline methods that can do all sorts of wonderful stuff if done right. . .but can go horribly wrong if used in the wrong way.
TheCollector wrote:Ok, so, is everyone else loving that Atsali seems to of become such a main character lately?
She and her little sis do seem to have taken the ranks of fandom by storm.

Hmmm. . .just think: at the time when the very first strip took place, Atsali was a good bit younger than Castela is now. All we have to do is to keep reading for about the same length of time again, and then we'll get to see Castela's years of high school turmoil!
zachariah wrote:
Tenjen wrote:even non-water based para's probably get training, especially the water averse, who need the most training to not screw up in public.
The water averse tend to avoid the water even if they can swim.
When new recruits enlist in the military, they're usually soon taught how to march around in formation. They never actually march around in formation in battle any more, but the training at least gets them used to the idea of working together as a unit. They take the lesson from the training that isn't really practical and make use of it for in later times.

Having paranormals practice to stay in human form and human action while swimming would be good training for them, even if they never go near water again. It will give them practice at maintaining their image in other difficult or distracting times. They can take the self-discipline that they learn and employ it in other situations.
pinglederry wrote:Well, and the "Mrs." part. Sadly for those of us who grew up wanting to fight actual pirates and not just Disney ones, they still won't let anybody with a vagina into the SEALs. :(
Time to start up a new unit, the Women Against Lawless Rascals Uniformed Service?
Akamar

Post by Akamar »

What's with the knocks against Ms. Adlers appearance. Yes, she's a rather large, muscular looking woman, but I don't find her representation that unappealing. And I rather enjoy her no nonsense attitude.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Hmm...
Mrs. Adler wrote:Okay, tadpoles, everyone do a lap, thanks to miss Gotlieb, to get the surly out of everyone, then back to treading water!
Say what? Get the Surly out of everyone? Just how did those bikes get into everyone to begin with???

*Drops a fully-loaded Surly Disc Trucker touring bike in the pun vault*
Julie

Post by Julie »

Fairportfan wrote:
zachariah wrote:
KnightDelight wrote: Also, since her breast size is beyond her morphing control, does that mean she could get breast reduction surgery? I would think she would like to do that if she could.
No surgeon would even consider it for a 15 year old with out extensive reasons.
Soleil Moon Frye, star of Punky Brewster, underwent breast-reduction surgery three months before her sixteenth birthday, and she wasn't nearly as disproportionately large-busted as Atsali.
And add to that the possibility that they might be able to get some assistance from the MiB and/or a paranormal friendly/knowledgeable doc who is aware that Atsali's growth in that region is probably maxed out...I'd think that there is a pretty decent chance she could get surgery at her age. Do I think she should? No. She should wait until she's more comfortable with herself and the way she is naturally before deciding whether or not it is worth it to modify her body (i.e. the emotional strain of "never" finding things that fit "just right" without paying for tailoring, the stress of high expenses associated with buying special-made garments, and/or any potential medical strain on her body since she's so very top heavy). That's a large part of why I think that reduction (or augmentation) surgeries aren't a good idea for teens. They tend to make decisions based on how they're feeling in the moment instead of waiting to figure out if being "different" actually makes them happy.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I agree. In my opinion, being different is much better than being just like everyone else. It allows us to be proud, to stand out. Sure, there's the "nail that sticks out gets hammered" saying...

But the tallest trees in the rainforest get the most sun. Oddballs get hammered, but all the extra sun usually more than makes up for that.

Before making decisions like this, one should seriously consider whether or not the extra sun pays for the extra hammering.

...did all that make sense? Or did I push those metaphors too far?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

GlytchMeister wrote:...did all that make sense? Or did I push those metaphors too far?
I think I'm having a "can't see the forest for the trees" moment. ;)
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Akasha

Re: the teacher

Post by Akasha »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Akasha wrote:the teacher reminds me of a moray eel, actually. don't ask me why :)
It's the dentition, I think..... :mrgreen:
yes, well, of course, it is all there ... if the name is any indication, she is a bird, and in particular, an eagle, why i have missed that one, i'll never know, but it is logical, considering the name :)
illiad

Post by illiad »

GlytchMeister wrote:I agree. In my opinion, being different is much better than being just like everyone else. It allows us to be proud, to stand out. Sure, there's the "nail that sticks out gets hammered" saying...

But the tallest trees in the rainforest get the most sun. Oddballs get hammered, but all the extra sun usually more than makes up for that.

Before making decisions like this, one should seriously consider whether or not the extra sun pays for the extra hammering.

well I got it.. :)

Its mostly in the mind, the others??? just jealousy... :P

Julie: this is Wapsiverse, so there are most likely proper shops for her.. and she might even find she is 'small' for her age!!! :D
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister wrote:I agree. In my opinion, being different is much better than being just like everyone else. It allows us to be proud, to stand out. Sure, there's the "nail that sticks out gets hammered" saying...

No, I think you nailed it.

*Drops a gold-plated railroad spike in the pun jar*
Julie

Post by Julie »

illiad wrote:Julie: this is Wapsiverse, so there are most likely proper shops for her.. and she might even find she is 'small' for her age!!! :D
Fair enough. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Catawampus wrote:Time to start up a new unit, the Women Against Lawless Rascals Uniformed Service?
Well, she does act like a Beach Master so you may be right.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah wrote:This also implies that sirens are water based paras. This makes me wonder about her father. Her bird form is clearly not a water type.
They were in the Odyssey--or at least the siren there was on the seacoast. In general, they lure sailors to shipwreck on the rocks. Presumably to get food from the flotsam...
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah wrote:I've always wondered about water polo. How do you keep the horses head out of the water?
Silly--they use sea horses, of course!

Drops a barrel of sea monkeys into the smiling pun jar, as it waves the little fishies in.