What can you do with a bottle of...

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

Re: What can you do with a bottle of...

Post by DinkyInky »

ROFLMAO
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

I had a fun drink that I made on a whim.

I took one scoop of Valpo Velvet Vanilla Ice cream, and blended it with a half a shot of Jameson and a half a shot Patron Cafe XO. Place into freezer until firm.

Place one brownie into ice cream dish, and place ice cream on top. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Ice cream is obviously a bit soft serve, but very tasty...and very evil... :twisted:
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

A recipe that I received a little while ago, that I haven't tried myself and really don't have much interest in making. But here it is, for your culinary enlightenment:

Bacon & Whiskey Brownies

8 tablespoons butter, salted
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup sugar
1/2 packed cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
10 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons whiskey
1/2 pound sliced bacon, chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" x 13" pan.

Melt butter in a pot, then stir in applesauce and sugars. Remove pot from heat, and quickly whisk in the eggs and vanilla.

Sift together the cocoa, flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix them into the wet ingredients. Add 4 tablespoons of whiskey. Stir in bacon.

Pour mixture into the pan. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until done. Brush the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of whiskey.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Catawampus wrote:A recipe that I received a little while ago, that I haven't tried myself and really don't have much interest in making. But here it is, for your culinary enlightenment:

Bacon & Whiskey Brownies

8 tablespoons butter, salted
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup sugar
1/2 packed cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
10 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons whiskey
1/2 pound sliced bacon, chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" x 13" pan.

Melt butter in a pot, then stir in applesauce and sugars. Remove pot from heat, and quickly whisk in the eggs and vanilla.

Sift together the cocoa, flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix them into the wet ingredients. Add 4 tablespoons of whiskey. Stir in bacon.

Pour mixture into the pan. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until done. Brush the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of whiskey.
Remove the bacon(I prefer it in sandwiches, with eggs, and as a meat, not in my dessert), and I'm sold.

--Safyr Drathmir
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Dumb question: Should the bacon be cooked before being mixed into the batter? (hey, I don't usually add meat to my baking; for all I know, it could cook whilst in the oven)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yes, though you can cheat and get pre-cooked bacon and chop that up as prescribed.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

MerchManDan wrote:Dumb question: Should the bacon be cooked before being mixed into the batter?
Depends on your feelings regarding Trichinosis.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Catawampus wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:Dumb question: Should the bacon be cooked before being mixed into the batter?
Depends on your feelings regarding Trichinosis.
OR a brownie that wont be solid because it has too much bacon grease in it.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
DinkyInky

Cue the music

Post by DinkyInky »

I have an assignment for you.

Trapped here with a very energetic child(most of the State's roads are closed due to weather-related issues) who was ready to return to school. I have a feeling I'm gonna need a nightcap tonight after I get him to sleep.

WHat I have in my cabinet:

Jameson
Patron Silver
Patron Cafe XO
Patron Cacao
(Patron is the only tequila I can even smell without becoming ill, let alone drink)
Grand Marnier
Dalwhinnies(maybe a shot)--(I like to keep my top three, Dalwhinnies, Glenrothes, GLenfiddich)
Some VERY old coconut rum from the Grand Cayman(no real brand name, was a gift from a dear friend)
Chambourd
Krolewska(my go-to's are Krolewska, Van Gogh, Belvedere, Grey Goose, and Stolichnaya, so I'm kinda under)
Various Korean plum liqueurs and Soju's
Ginseng liqueurs(very old)
Spanish Sangria
A bottle of sweet, dry white(Barefoot I think)
Various HQ goods with about a shot left.

My poor cabinet is pretty depleted from it's former glory. Having a son eats away at your time(and pocketbook) to get quality stuff.

I also have Heavy Cream, Various juices, Yogurt, ice cream, cake, brownies and other various things. I have frozen blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and peaches. I have tapioca pearls. I have LOTS of fancy chocolates(mostly Fannie May and Ghiradellis...I hate Godiva and give away when I get it).

Your mission is to create a single glass nightcap(no bigger than a brandy glass). This message will self-destruct. Ka-BOOM!

(What, did you think I meant Mission: Impossible?

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

I don't have a nightcap for you DinkyInky, but I did recently learn that you can essentially make your own Bailey's to suit your tastes. :) I have a friend with a severe gluten allergy, so she's always looking for ways to recreate some of her favorite things without gluten. I don't know if Bailey's has gluten in it, or if she just stumbled across the recipe while looking for others, but she made some of her homemade Bailey's for me over the holidays...and WOWZA! It was waaaay better than what you pay for at the store. :)

NOTE: All of these ratios can be adjusted to suit your tastes...if you want more coffee flavor or more alcoholic punch, add more! :)
1 cup heavy cream (you can use light or half and half if you want to be "healthier" or just have less richness)
14 oz sweetened condensed milk (1 small can I believe does the trick)
1 2/3 cup Jameson (or other Irish whiskey if you prefer)
1 tsp instant coffee (we used 2 of the little single-serving packets, which I think is actually more than a tsp)
2 tbsp chocolate syrup
1 tsp vanilla

Blend ingredients with an immersion blender or in a regular blender. Store in the fridge in airtight containers of your choice (we used mason jars). The mix should be good for up to 2 months that way, though you may need to periodically shake everything up since it can separate if left unagitated for too long. :) It's AWESOME! I can't really say whether or not it's cheaper than just buying the stuff, but it seems worthwhile since it's not complicated and it's super tasty. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Catawampus

Re: Cue the music

Post by Catawampus »

DinkyInky wrote:Your mission is to create a single glass nightcap(no bigger than a brandy glass).
Plum liqueur in a cup of hot green tea.

I'm really not a big fan of most alcoholic drinks. Not due to ethical reasons or anything, just due to the taste. When it comes to wines or whiskeys or rums, the cheap stuff and the fancy stuff are all equally bleah to me. So I'm limited to a small selection of drinks, most of which aren't all that easy to find.

I hardly ever drink such things anyway, though, so it's not all that huge of a hardship.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:I don't have a nightcap for you DinkyInky, but I did recently learn that you can essentially make your own Bailey's to suit your tastes. :) I have a friend with a severe gluten allergy, so she's always looking for ways to recreate some of her favorite things without gluten. I don't know if Bailey's has gluten in it, or if she just stumbled across the recipe while looking for others, but she made some of her homemade Bailey's for me over the holidays...and WOWZA! It was waaaay better than what you pay for at the store. :)
THe main thing to consider with gluten allergies is, does the liquor have wheat in it that has not been filtered and distilled out of it. My son's Godmother discovered after medical issues her whole life, she has Celiac's Disease. She was told her whole life she was allergic to alcohol, when in fact, it was just to the ones that use wheat(like well, just about all beer). I know Jameson and Tullamore Dew are gluten free...not sure about the ones at Bushmills...haven't had them in a looooong time...actually, since I discovered Jamesons and Tullamore Dew.

I at times will just swirl a little sweetened cream into and iced glass of Jameson, so yeah...delicious. I make my sweet cream with heavy cream and simple syrup(basically distilled water boiled with raw cane sugar). I don't need the coffee and vanilla as the molasses note in raw sugar adds just the right touch of flavour. If you just begin to whip the cream , then add the whiskey, it gives it an interesting consistency.
Catawampus wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Your mission is to create a single glass nightcap(no bigger than a brandy glass).
Plum liqueur in a cup of hot green tea.

I'm really not a big fan of most alcoholic drinks. Not due to ethical reasons or anything, just due to the taste. When it comes to wines or whiskeys or rums, the cheap stuff and the fancy stuff are all equally bleah to me. So I'm limited to a small selection of drinks, most of which aren't all that easy to find.

I hardly ever drink such things anyway, though, so it's not all that huge of a hardship.
I wish I had something other than Bancha tea, because that sounds lovely actually. Like with almost every drink, I am picky about my tea. I mainly use Bancha tea to put over my rice.

My son and I ended up just falling asleep piled under blankets watching Epic. School has been cancelled today as well, and it being toomanydegreesbelowzero, I cannot unbury the sidewalk and driveway. Yesterday it was -48, and after three minutes, I got barely half my sidewalk clear and was bone cold. I am hoping it warms up to about maybe 2 so I can finish clearing everything. The idiot plow driver for the fourth year running, broke mine and my neighbour's mailboxes(though he still could not manage to knock them off the stands, as I overengineered them to be kids with baseball bats proof).

It is actually quite eerie, like a ghost town. Usually on a snow day, the kids are all out playing modern warfare with snowballs, but it's too cold. I actually would like to have it a teeny bit warmer so they can play. My son has wanted to make a snowman all Winter, and not only do we have the proper amount of snow for it, we have the type of snow we need...now we need a bit less arctic so we can go out and make one.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

DinkyInky wrote:THe main thing to consider with gluten allergies is, does the liquor have wheat in it that has not been filtered and distilled out of it. My son's Godmother discovered after medical issues her whole life, she has Celiac's Disease. She was told her whole life she was allergic to alcohol, when in fact, it was just to the ones that use wheat(like well, just about all beer). I know Jameson and Tullamore Dew are gluten free...not sure about the ones at Bushmills...haven't had them in a looooong time...actually, since I discovered Jamesons and Tullamore Dew.
Powers is gluten free as well. :) It's actually my hubby's whiskey of choice for mixing (I don't like most whiskey's, so I can't really speak to the differences in flavor between Powers, Jameson, and Tullamore Dew).

Hope you guys get warm enough to make that snowman! Give the little man a hug from me and tell him I'm trying to will our "warm" (high in the 40s today) weather your direction. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DinkyInky wrote:Like with almost every drink, I am picky about my tea. I mainly use Bancha tea to put over my rice.
I don't like coffee, so tea is my usual hot drink (though sometimes I'll melt some chocolate or heat up some cider). I'm not all that picky on tea brands or whatnot, though I mainly get fairly plain ones and add my own flavourings to them if I want flavoured tea. I don't go out and buy jasmine-flavoured tea or lemon-flavoured tea or "chai tea", because I can do them better myself.
The idiot plow driver for the fourth year running, broke mine and my neighbour's mailboxes(though he still could not manage to knock them off the stands, as I overengineered them to be kids with baseball bats proof).
Rather than going with rigidity, you might try flexibility instead. It might have more survivability that way. Sort of like Inca bridges, or Gaulish stone-and-timber forts.
My son has wanted to make a snowman all Winter, and not only do we have the proper amount of snow for it, we have the type of snow we need...now we need a bit less arctic so we can go out and make one.
Step outside, shovel a bunch of snow into a barrel, haul it into the house, and build a snowman in the bath-tub.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Nah, I went with cheap, since the city refuses to pay to replace was was provably contractually in their employ's fault. The last time I went with a Rubbermaid mailbox, it got cold enough to crack it.

--Safyr Drathmir
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

DinkyInky wrote:Nah, I went with cheap, since the city refuses to pay to replace was was provably contractually in their employ's fault. The last time I went with a Rubbermaid mailbox, it got cold enough to crack it.
Or you could do what i've seen a few people do back in Mi where i grew up... they take the boxes them selves and mount them on a metal pole bent into a 90 degree angle, like a letter "L", with the short side as the vertical and the long going horizontally, and put the base of it far enough away from the road that he wold have to be PURPOSELY AIMING for them, and you can either set it on just a plain post in the ground base that you'd have to go out and manually reset if it gets hit, or you can put it on a base that resets it kinda like those doors in restaurants that close themselves with the way the hinge is shaped... the part that can move has a pin sticking out the sides close to the bottom, and the part that's stuck in the ground has a flange on it that is shaped like a V, the pin rides on top of it and every time it gets hit, the post rotates and moves up slightly, then gravity takes over and as it comes back down it rotates back to the right position. or... a second way: mount it with just a plain base and put two smaller posts a foot or two away from the first one, one on either side, and mount two big springs on them to pull it back into position after it gets hit.

unfortunately, this will make it a kid magnet as well, since they'd love to see how far they could get it to bounce, or break it before you ran them off.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

The spring-loaded bit doesn't work, as the plow hits not just the box, but the post, and I also can't put it back far enough or the mail carriers can't deliver(rural routes around here mean different drivers, and they have to be able to reach the box while inside the vehicle), and my mail box is across the street.
This last time, when the PO complained, we told them to call city and complain their plow drivers are purposely plowing down all the boxes on the block(you can tell because the snow piles are zig-zag-y based on where the boxes are placed). We have no luck complaining, because the driver says, "It's slippery. I can't help it." Can't help it, yet he manages to hit every. single. box. Thirty or better houses per block, yet he hits every box in a perfect pattern? Yeah, of course he can't.
I am waiting for the weather to warm up a bit(I know how to mix cold weather setting quickset concrete, so I only need it just warm enough to pour), and I am going to either wrap both mine and my nice neighbour's box posts with a slightly larger sleeve of PVC, and fill it with concrete...or brick both box posts together, then pour concrete down the middle. He's already liking the idea, as he has had to replace his mailbox almost as much as mine, and well, concrete is hard to plow through.

@#$%^#$%^$ That jerk just did it again! I had to run across the street and pick up my box and the neighbours boxes from the street, which is mostly clear, except for the fresh-fall, so there is NO BLOODY excuse for hitting the boxes, as the salt & sand mix truck came through an hour ago, and thirty minutes ago to put the mix down to make it not icy after our last complaints.

I cannot wait for it to be 9:00, so I can have a nice stiff drink. Only nine and a half more hours to go!

--Safyr Drathmir
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

then you just need to make sure the post portion of the the thing is far enough off the road with a long enough arm to get the box back to the proper spot, and if the plow driver takes it out again, he'll have to go MASSIVELY off-road to do it, and may get stuck in the softer earth off-road. well, probably not stuck, but you can hope...

as for the nice patterns of flattened mail-boxes on the street... get a video of the path the truck took, paying careful attention to the tire tracks just prior to the swerve off course, if they don't show skid marks then he can't claim "the road was slippery, and i lost control", as well as you should do a walk-through of the whole street, getting that pattern on camera... heck catching him in the act on camera would be even better...

if you do go with the concrete/brick box, make sure that you dig a REALLY DEEP post hole (or two) or all you are going to be doing is making a really HEAVY domino, that once he knocks it over, YOU have to put it back up. the deeper the hole that you dig the harder it will be for him to knock over (without damaging his plow that is), especially if you have something like re-bar inside it to prevent the "post hole" part from snapping off in the ground, right at the junction between it and the main body.

and if you could, try to finish it really quick, and put a "disguise" of a snow drift or something around it so he can't see it the next time he tries to take it out... that'll be a hoot!
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

I've discovered Fireball Whiskey. A nice mixture of Booze and spice, but it leaves a sticky substance in my glass and is only 66 proof. It leaves me wondering if I've been scammed by sugar and cheap. I'm wondering what I could do with cayenne and a still.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

ShirouZhiwu wrote:I've discovered Fireball Whiskey. A nice mixture of Booze and spice, but it leaves a sticky substance in my glass and is only 66 proof. It leaves me wondering if I've been scammed by sugar and cheap. I'm wondering what I could do with cayenne and a still.
Dark things...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous