Grounded And Smart 2013-12-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
scantrontb

Re: Grounded And Smart 2013-12-05

Post by scantrontb »

jwhouk wrote:That's the thing about deer around here - if they make it through hunting season, they're hardy little bastards. Thing's probably still walking around but nursing its injuries out in the woods.
yeah, i heard from my step brother a few years ago, that up where he lives in Michigan that some of the US Post Office trucks have roll bars on the OUTSIDE of their bodies for "WHEN" they hit deer... not "IF" they hit them...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I kicked in a door or two back in the early 70s when my preferred mode of transport was a ten-speed.

I have scars running the length of my right arm from where some fool turned across in front of me when i was at max cadence after about a mile non-stop run to get up speed; flipped over the back of the car, ate pavement on the other side ... and put my elbow through the back window.

Three hours on the table in the Emergency Room and forty-two stitches.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:Maslow explains about three-fourths of the youth at my facility.

...which is where I would have been right now if a ####ing deer hadn't taken a leap in front of my car.
:o
Holy crap, I totally missed that second part! Sorry about your unfortunate encounters with deer and dumb drivers...
At least you weren't hurt.

scantrontb wrote:
jwhouk wrote:That's the thing about deer around here - if they make it through hunting season, they're hardy little bastards. Thing's probably still walking around but nursing its injuries out in the woods.
yeah, i heard from my step brother a few years ago, that up where he lives in Michigan that some of the US Post Office trucks have roll bars on the OUTSIDE of their bodies for "WHEN" they hit deer... not "IF" they hit them...
Roll bars as in full external roll cages, or just " 'roo-bars", as some of my Aussie friends call them?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I see those on trucks up here. They're more like the "roo-cages" you're talking about.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Highway Departments (at least the Georgia DOT) decide where to put these
13165484842090101506Deer Crossing Sign.svg.hi.png
13165484842090101506Deer Crossing Sign.svg.hi.png (18.25 KiB) Viewed 10212 times
by watching where deer strikes occur with some frequency. That makes sense.

A week or so after i first heard that, i saw one of these
w11-7.png
w11-7.png (9.12 KiB) Viewed 10212 times
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...and then Saturday comes, and some teenager tries to gun it through a left turn at a stoplight and nails my front fender. Tears the front bumper cover right off, and now I can't get in through the driver's side door.

:roll: :shock: :cry:
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Sound like you shoulda stood in bed this week.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

jwhouk wrote:...and then Saturday comes, and some teenager tries to gun it through a left turn at a stoplight and nails my front fender. Tears the front bumper cover right off, and now I can't get in through the driver's side door.
:shock:

When you bring it to the mechanic, can you get them to check for small planets that may be pulling these things into your car's gravity well?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Have the mechanic bring in an exorcist and a hex doctor.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

If you need to exorcize and de-hex a car, you may just want to drive it into a volcanic caldera and get yourself a Toyota Hilux.

Seriously, those things are freakin' indestructible. Go ahead, drive recklessly. Drive it into the ocean and bury it in ocean sands. Drive it through a shed. Drop a trailer on it. Hit it with a wrecking ball. Set it on fire.

Drop it from over 200 feet via an exploding and collapsing building.

It'll still move under its own power. Just throw a mechanic and some basic tools at it. No replacement parts.

Proof:
Killing a Toyota Part 1
Killing a Toyota Part 2
Killing a Toyota Part 3
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...and what do they call the Hilux in the US?

EDIT: Oh. A Tacoma? :/ If I'm going overseas with a vehicle, I think I'm going the Hyundai route, thanks.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Toyota Hilux?

Greatest Hilux ad ever.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

The Toyota Hilux: not even the Golem Girls can break it!
Cut to a baseball field; Bud on the pitcher's mound, Brandi at home plate. Bud hurls the Hilux at Brandi, who is wielding a large steel I-beam as a baseball bat... Who hits a line drive to second base... And then through the stands... And then cuts a new roadway through the city, leveling several buildings.

Cut to a portly man staring at the location his bathroom sink used to be, now a gaping hole looking out at the new road, holding a foamy toothbrush. "Buggagh!"
I'm too much!
illiad

Post by illiad »

here is more, that the BBC did not manage to kill off by suing you-tube... :/ :/ :D

Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

illiad wrote:here is more, that the BBC did not manage to kill off by suing you-tube... :/ :/ :D

Clinches it. My next vehicle is a Hi-Lux.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I think Toyota owes me a hundred bucks... At least. I ought to get a commission for all the advertising I just did for them.
You know what, I think that's a good business idea: a business pays a bunch of people to spread word-of-mouth advertising. People can do the advertising, and whenever someone actually buys a product they pushed, they just sign a piece of paper confirming they got the idea from the employee.
Companies pay the business to take advertising jobs.
The business could do paid flash mobs too. And then offer bonuses to people who do advertising via social media.

And to make sure the employees aren't dismissed as sellouts, they would have to fit their advertising into random conversations and stuff instead of just blurting out "buy this thing now so I can get paid!"
I'm too much!
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hanineal wrote:
Julie wrote:
Ye Gods! I just realized how many cup sizes larger than me Atsali is. :shock: I'm not sure I could handle having that rack either. I'd have immediately signed up for a reduction just to make shopping easier (not to mention improving the longevity of my spine's health). I'm all for being proud of who and what you are...and loving the body you were born with...
I think we need to remember just who/what Atsali is. As a siren, she may just be typical in size. While she may want to fit in with human society, we need to remember that she also has to fit in with the paranormals. A siren with a smaller set of breasts might be ostracized for "flatchestedness".

Also as a siren, her physiology is adapted to her breast size and may even require it.

Just something to consider.
Perhaps, but I have to wonder if she'd care about fitting in with sirens. Maybe someday she'd want to, but I'd think that once she was old/mature enough to want to interact with other sirens (fitting in aside), she'd probably have developed a pretty strong sense of self that allowed her to overcome the negative associations that paranormals seem to have with that race...and if she's that grounded and comfortable, I doubt she'd start feeling uncomfortable again due to being too small of breast.

But then again, all of this is heavy-duty theorizing. :) I could be way off base not only about how she feels about sirens but also about her physiology's ability to handle such a massive rack. If her breasts are indeed "normal" for a siren, her back may be perfectly capable of handling the "strain."
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Julie wrote:But then again, all of this is heavy-duty theorizing. :) I could be way off base not only about how she feels about sirens but also about her physiology's ability to handle such a massive rack. If her breasts are indeed "normal" for a siren, her back may be perfectly capable of handling the "strain."
Considering that her whole physiology is apparently adapted to the stresses of using her wings to carry not only herself but a decent-sized human through the air pretty rapidly, i'd say it's likely.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Well, if a big eagle can achieve takeoff with a fawn, I wouldn't be surprised if an adolescent siren didn't really notice the weight of her huge tracts of land.

That eagle lifted a fawn. A big eagle is 6kg. A small fawn is 30kg. So that makes the eagle's maximum takeoff weight/load capacity ratio of about 5x.
(Forgive my rough math. I'm doing this on 1 hour of sleep in 48 hours total...)
Let's assume Astali is 50 kg for the sake of simplicity. If I give her a maximum takeoff weight/load capacity ratio of 4x to account for the human aspects of her physical structure, she could take off and fly a short distance with 200 extra kg. That's about 1.3 William Perry's. That is a really, really big freakin' guy. That's the kind of guy who, upon meeting him, you ask him very politely not to eat you.

I really doubt an extra pound or two (total guess) would make much of a difference. I would think the most difficulty would arise from the volume. They'd get in the way more than they'd weigh her down.

Although, the closest experience I've ever had to having big boobs is wearing a backpack on my front. So take my theories with a box of salt.

Side note: I can't believe I just looked up the average density of boobs on google. I would love to see the looks on the faces of the NSA agents doubtlessly sifting through my internet activity for no good reason.

"He just posted a calculation involving someone throwing a schoolbus, ball point pens, and elephants..."
"Now he's talking about Newton's third law and wormholes..."
*blink...blink*
"What?"
"This kid is messed up. He just googled the average density of human breast tissue."
"...yep. We got a weirdo."
"And now he just posted another calculation about boobs, eagles, deer, and teenage sirens. This has got to be code. Nobody thinks like this without getting thrown in a sanitarium."
I'm too much!
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

GlytchMeister wrote:Side note: I can't believe I just looked up the average density of boobs on google. I would love to see the looks on the faces of the NSA agents doubtlessly sifting through my internet activity for no good reason.

"He just posted a calculation involving someone throwing a schoolbus, ball point pens, and elephants..."
"Now he's talking about Newton's third law and wormholes..."
*blink...blink*
"What?"
"This kid is messed up. He just googled the average density of human breast tissue."
"...yep. We got a weirdo."
"And now he just posted another calculation about boobs, eagles, deer, and teenage sirens. This has got to be code. Nobody thinks like this without getting thrown in a sanitarium."
You're doing well, but when you get yourself banned from Wolfram|Alpha, you are not yet a master.

Anyone who can guess the person did that can have an extra cookie tonight :) [BYO cookie]

hint: "Wolfram|Alpha is more than a search engine– it is a computational knowledge engine. It gives you access to the world’s facts and data and calculates answers across a range of topics, including science, nutrition, history, geography, engineering, mathematics, linguistics, sports, finance, music ..."
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones