Ursamorphs 2013-11-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
OldManBill

Re: Ursamorphs 2013-11-08

Post by OldManBill »

As these two new ladies are still in school-I'm assuming High School, from their style of speaking-should we assume that they're Ursa Minors?

*clink*
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

Can't believe that nobody beat me to pointing out that they're a pair of Ursa minors.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Skruddgemire wrote:
Leak wrote:Since those two are bearfolk the lady on Monday probably was/is merfolk... :)
I think that by now, we can safely assume that if it exists in myth and legend, it's likely to occur in the Wapsi-verse.

We've seen Minotaur (the poor kid confused by the antics of Atsali in the library), Vampires, Gorgon, Kraken (Stinky), whatever the heck Castilla is, sphinxes, demons, golems, titans (or at least the sub-titans <cough>Monica<cough>), Whatever the smeg Nudge is (hints anyone?)...

Now we've seen true shapeshifters.

So from this point on I'm not likely to be surprised to see any critters from legend popping up at the local Stop-n-Shop picking up a bag of Doritos
According to my culture's stories, you probably have, and never noticed.

My pastor has twin sons, and I asked them which one was the Evil Twin, and they pointed to each other. Berdine and Nadette would probably answer the same way. I like these two.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

OldManBill wrote:As these two new ladies are still in school-I'm assuming High School, from their style of speaking-should we assume that they're Ursa Minors?

*clink*
loxmyth wrote:Can't believe that nobody beat me to pointing out that they're a pair of Ursa minors.
(Actually, someone did.)

If that's the case, of course, then it wouldn't be surprising they're in Minnesota. After all, the state motto is "Etoile du la Nord" (Star of the North).
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I cannot tell you how proud I am to be part of an online forum which as managed to go two whole pages of strip commentary with nobody -- absolutely nobody -- making anything even resembling a hint of commentary about ursine hygiene in the deep forest! You're a class act, people! Keep it up!
Dave wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Dave wrote: Well, if we're going to go in for classic references:
"Balloons... and blunderbusses!"
...and watch out for Italians and helmet-spikes.
... and sewage settling ponds. :P
For those wondering: Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines

Must See. Go. Now. Do!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Julie

Post by Julie »

Party tricks are the best! :)
Neveko wrote:Hehe. Berdine and Nadette are not names that I can tell (not in a traditional way, anyway), but Bernadette and Bernadine are.
Nadine is also a common(ish) name...at least in the South. :) And actually, Berdine is listed on a baby-names website as a possible female name. It's apparently a short form of Bernardine (like Chris is the short form of Christopher I guess). Nadette wasn't on that site's list...but that doesn't mean someone hasn't given a girl that name before. It just feels weird that they're from out west with names like those. I'd expect names like that from the more hillbilly areas of the US. :)
Graymalkin wrote:Oh, so they're not called were-bears?
Nope...because the are-bears. :P
Skruddgemire wrote:Whatever the smeg Nudge is (hints anyone?)...
I believe she's a trickster-god. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:

...and Bennie Hill and his gang.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Balloon sculptures are not party tricks...

They're art! :)

TlalocW
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Were-bears? There bears! There Village, There Castle.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

As to the Ursa's place in the American Indian pantheon just look here. As for the girls names I am guessing that their folks used a single name "Bernadette" and split it into 2 names "Berdine and Nadette" both names are forms of the one. The remaining unanswered questions are 'is the balloon animal her sister' and 'are they actually 2 beings or is one a projection of the other'. (Sorry for any migraines that last thought may cause). :oops:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Dave wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:

*Sighs happily* Another of my very favorite movies; featuring the great Bennie Hill....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Jerry Lewis

Post by Jerry Lewis »

I'm just trying to think what an overexcited little thornbush-girl might do to a balloon-animal girl... hope those two think fast.
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

Wait, wait...

Twin...(giggle)...shapeshifters?

(gigglesnort)

"Wonderbear powers...ACTIVATE!"

"Form of...a balloon animal!"

"Shape of...a high school bimbo!"

Then the inevitable question...which one needed more inflating?
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Teenage Female Ursamorph Highschool Twins? I know they will teach Castela some really funny shapeshifting tricks. Possibly how to have lots of fun in her "Squiggle" form. Pickle Squiggle.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Dave wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:'IT IS BAH-LOOOON!' Sorry, that was on F-Troop yesterday. :lol:
Well, if we're going to go in for classic references:

Timotheus wrote:I believe we can now safely say that the laws of conservation of mass, energy, molecular and atomic bonding, matter conversion, thermodynamics, and just plain common sense have been replaced by the laws of visual and structural convenience. It does make things easier to work with story wise.
I think that happened quite some time ago! It's clear that in the Wapsiverse, a bunch of what we consider immutable laws of physics are actually just simplified approximations, and that there must be some interesting "outs" to which the paranormals have access.

As to any departure of "plain common sense"... take a brief look at the state of politics in any country you care to name, and tell me that common sense didn't depart on vacation quite some time back! :)
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Is anyone else getting a Weasley (As in Ron's older brothers in the Harry Potter series) vibe from these two in today's page? :lol:
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I am wondering if they have any trickster like hooved relatives anywhere relatives anywhere.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Atomic wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, I cannot tell you how proud I am to be part of an online forum which as managed to go two whole pages of strip commentary with nobody -- absolutely nobody -- making anything even resembling a hint of commentary about ursine hygiene in the deep forest! You're a class act, people! Keep it up!
Well. there haven't been any 'wabbitts' in the strip yet [bunny Jin(?) was off screen + a long time ago] so there hasn't really been the opportunity.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

I think you might be right about their being California Bears.

Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Timotheus wrote:Were-bears? There bears! There Village, There Castle.
Hump? What hump?

Aaaaannnnd....
Frau Blucher!