This Is Better 2013-11-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: This Is Better 2013-11-04

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:Decorators cribbed the idea from scientists, who came up with these many years ago. Google-search "boiling beads". They were (and are) used in laboratories, in beakers and flasks that are being heated. By providing surfaces with lots of minute irregularities that act as nucleating sites, they ensure that the liquid comes to a gentle bubbling and gradual simmer when heated. Without them, a liquid can "superheat" without boiling, and then suddenly flash over and spew boiling liquid everywhere... messy and dangerous.
Another use for marbles used to be in photography.

When i was six or so (1954), i asked my mother why we had so many boxes of marbles around the house.

She explained that she and my dad had done a lot of photography, including their own darkroom work (as a matter of fact, i wish i had a copy of my birth announcement, which featured photos of all three of us - them with the Miniature Speed Graphic - and was designed as a studio announcement of a new production...).

Some solutions were prone to oxidation in storage, so as you used them, you would add marbles (which, being glass, were inert) to bring the level in the half-gallon or gallon bottles up to the point where its surface was in the neck, to minimise surface area for atmospheric interaction.

================

Then, of course, there's Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable and Marble Soup. Only available to studios producing commercials.

(The page's summation of the case is wrong - it was not a competitor who sued Campbell's, it was the FTC, and they got onto it because an ad agency copywriter, testifying before the Commission on an unrelated matter, let it slip that they did it.)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Sidhekin wrote:Also on whatever-she-is: It never fails. No matter how aquatic, she's unmistakably mammalian.
No. Those are Dalek bumps.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:Meanwhile, I can't seem to recognize what kind of being it is, talking to Bud in the first panel. Anyone know?
Mermaid?
Boxilar wrote:I could be mistaken, but it looks in panel 2 as if the pot is full of dirt, and pickle appears to have burrowed into the soil.
That could be. My take on it was that it was empty, and that the dark part was just where the inner surface of the pot was unglazed and rough (and possibly in shadow); most pots aren't finished smoothly on the inside. It would be a little strange to have a big pot just sitting there with only soil or whatever substrate in it. . .though given that this is a place run by paranormals on a day for paranormals, strange is probably to be expected.
Fairportfan wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:Also on whatever-she-is: It never fails. No matter how aquatic, she's unmistakably mammalian.
Or swim-bladders?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Sidhekin wrote:
Also on whatever-she-is: It never fails. No matter how aquatic, she's unmistakably mammalian.
Fairportfan wrote:
Catawumpus wrote:
Or swim-bladders?

It's a disguise. With Mammalian Protuberances like that no normal human male will notice anything else...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

Fairportfan wrote:
The protuberances on her head look like squid fins to me, and her 'hands' look a lot like tentacles. (Squid anatomy diagram)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I also thought Bud's friend might be an Ultra. Or a WayBig.

Either Castela is playing Pirana Plant, or that cat genie from MagiRanger/PR Mystic Force.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Until Paul gives us something official I move that this new character be known as "Ms. Mari", first name "Cala".
Last edited by shadowinthelight on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

shadowinthelight wrote:Until Paul gives us something official I move that this nfirsztas new character be known as "Ms. Mari", first name "Cala".

Snerk!!! :lol:

That is some good wordplay you got there. :D
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I don't profess to know what Pickle is, but I know what she isn't. Yeah, I know I added an 's' but mistakes happen.
http://i.imgur.com/G3BGkOb.png
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:*checks the Wapsi Square Fan Art > Fan Art thread*

What, no "If you won't talk to you children about pot, who will?" fan art from the creative (and talented) people yet?

:-p
Here, you happy now? :)
very :D

Thank you
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

ActionKermit wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
The protuberances on her head look like squid fins to me, and her 'hands' look a lot like tentacles. (Squid anatomy diagram)
...you know that's not what they're talking about, right? :|
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Maybe she's what a 'real' merfolk looks like (took out the 'offensive' sexually exploitative reference that also infers her virginal status....)

My head is full of stuff like that. Most times it doesn't get out, but like Fibber McGee's Closet (or Shelly's, for that matter), sometimes it overflows. :roll:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

Betsy Lee, animator and comic artist, has a series of videos on YouTube under the playlist title "No Evil." The main characters are based on Native American and Aztec mythology, and the non-mammalian females are clearly just that.

Her animations are well worth checking out, by the way. As is her DeviantArt page and her webcomic, "Brother Swan."

So yes, sometimes it does fail.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Well ... I dunno ... I mean, "Byrdi" is the first appearing character of Brother Swan with non-mammalian features: http://warlordofnoodles.comicgenesis.co ... 90904.html

... and she has plenty of mammalian features too ... three pretty unique ones, and a few typical-but-perhaps-not-necessarily-unique ones ...

She seems more mammalian than not. A hybrid then? A mammal augmented with non-mammalian grafts? Or an angelic character out of some mammalian mythology?

Yeah ... I dunno ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
CPUGuy1

Post by CPUGuy1 »

OF COURSE!!!
My guess (and good amount of the others) from yesterdays post ("Over There!!!") was the thinking for a human kid.

Good ol' Paul went and did his usual story twist ... even with the Big Hint as to what she was on the post 4 days before 'Over There'.

Way to go, Paul. Keep up the good twist.
Is The Earth On A Diet?
With just one million people losing weight,
so after each one had lost 'one pound' ...
will the earth weigh 1,000,000 pounds less?
Julie

Post by Julie »

lake_wrangler wrote:Meanwhile, I can't seem to recognize what kind of being it is, talking to Bud in the first panel. Anyone know?
My first thought was of Shadow Girls...but that's just me. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Julie wrote:My first thought was of Shadow Girls...but that's just me. :)
Yes. Yes, it is...

... just you... :P ;) :lol:
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

I love Pickle's enthusiasm (and her fangs) but also the indulgent smiles of her elders in the last (and first) panel . . .

The only question left is, do we really want to let Pickle get potted every night?
Dave wrote:
Timotheus wrote:I thought it [pot contents] looked more like ornamental gravel or glass beads, more likely for a decor item. Also I seem to recall a similar situation with a character in the Wotch.
Definitely glass beads. .. they're both decorative and useful. Decorators cribbed the idea from scientists, who came up with these many years ago. Google-search "boiling beads". They were (and are) used in laboratories, in beakers and flasks that are being heated. By providing surfaces with lots of minute irregularities that act as nucleating sites, they ensure that the liquid comes to a gentle bubbling and gradual simmer when heated. Without them, a liquid can "superheat" without boiling, and then suddenly flash over and spew boiling liquid everywhere... messy and dangerous.
They were also used in fractionating/distilling columns, to provide surfaces for the vapor to become liquid and properly distill out pure fractions.

Ahh, memories of labwork....
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Julie wrote:
It could be worse, once someone pointed out her hands my first thought was "Stinky's got a humanoid form?"
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Grantwhy wrote:
Julie wrote:
It could be worse, once someone pointed out her hands my first thought was "Stinky's got a humanoid form?"
She might be Stinky's owner.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.