No Excuse 2013-09-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: No Excuse 2013-09-16

Post by Yamara »

Jet's soul is still in there somewhere, if Tina is being as straightforward as she seems to be at the end here:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/there-she-is/

Evil is a human trait, not a demonic one, according to Wapsi canon. Demons only tempt, rarely possess: possession seems to be strongly against "the rules". Thus, The Hate/Nu Gui/Chessmaster had to have been a human child to begin with, in order to spread its evil around.

It is therefore possible that The Tar is not a demon, but something of human origin. When yelled at by a demon, it essentially did as it was told, but it showed no hesitation in violating Monica, who was screaming for it to wait.

So I guess the question now is... where is Jet?
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

I know it doesn't make for good comics, and we can probably attribute her not doing this to Monica's stubborness (even though she's accepting the supernatural part of herself more) as well as seeing herself as a 4'10"-couldn't-hurt-you-if-I-tried type, but, boy, if it were me, I'd forcefully poit Phix, Nudge, and Tsillah together into one room, and sit down with them and hash things out. "Okay, I'm the Jaguar Girl now... what does that mean - powers, responsibilities, weaknesses? I'm a sub-titan - how is that different? What else am I? A Demon Shepardess... Same questions."

Then I'd do the same with Tepoz, the GGG, Maya, Eurayle, etc. I'd ask Tina what else she could see, or if there was any other weirdness emanating from me. Maybe hit up the vamps, etc. Because what with all she's been through, thinking she had killed Nudge, astral fire, being killed twice, etc. I would think it would take a toll. Shelly almost immediately went and got training from G'ma when she came back a sphinx... y'know, after being spurred on by thinking she had mortally wounded Justin.

Anyway after all that, I would find another supernatural or do research in the library on how to fart rainbows

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/rainbows/

TlalocW
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

It is possible that Jet is the other Demon collective but I doubt it. The main aspect of Tina as a collection is that they are NOT integrated into a single person yet. So they take turns coming to the front and talking to people. Jet has not shown that behavior at all in any of the times we have seen her. So Jet is still there and her soul has not left. After all she did NOT die in the plane crash.
Given that point this has to be the space inside us where the demons stay when they are not outside a persons mind and egging them on. Even though it has always shown Monica;s demons as being outside her body, they really are inside it. Showing them outside makes them more of a real presence in the strip. So that makes this the internal space where the demons stay inside Jet.
Being there of course Monica first meets the demons. Jet is out cold so her personality is elsewhere right now but I expect that it will show up in this place. When Monica finally meets her I don't think it will be grown up Jet either. I suspect it will be 12 year old Jet. Still cowering in shock and fear from the crash. It will be the inner image of her. This is the one Monica needs to help. Jet has been trapped in the experience and has not been able to get past it. Almost like PTSS, but it is very well hidden as she ignores the problems. Her upbringing as a brawler has her awake mind convinced it has to be strong and not show weakness. The demons most likely have been helping her to keep it together and riding herd on the others so they do not destroy Jet and break the demon laws. That is probably Guidance's biggest job.
It could be that Monica's task here is to help Jet get past it and take control of her internal turmoil. Monica's ability as a demon handler will probably play a part in this as well.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Having been bounced from one job to the next, often in rapid succession, (apparently because I could read and understand a training manual) throughout my Army career, I think I recognize what's going on here.
It's called On the Job Training.
We may be seeing a lot of it for our Jaguar Girl/Demon Shepherdess as time goes on.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Sidhekin wrote:I dunno ... panel three is definitely angry ... but three and four do have the same face.
It's a minor point, but Anger and Guidance both wear Georgette's face. Just as Monica's demons tended to wear distorted versions of Monica's shape.

Come to think of it, this may be a subtle point about Tina. When her demons have come out they've never looked more human than this; they may be evolving in ways soul-bound demons do not.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

DilyV wrote:Action Kermit brings up an interesting point. I wonder if 'the tar' isn't a demon at all... but a malevolent manifestation of lust, greed, desire... all the wanty, needy, gimme gimme emotions... clingy and cloying, hard to scrape off like glue. Maybe these aren't Jet's demons per se'... maybe they're the physical manifestations of her emotions.
OR... It may be an aspect of the Nu-Gui branching out...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Wyvern wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:I dunno ... panel three is definitely angry ... but three and four do have the same face.
It's a minor point, but Anger and Guidance both wear Georgette's face. Just as Monica's demons tended to wear distorted versions of Monica's shape.
WHERE are you people seeing the Demon: Anger?... all I see the the Tar and Guidance... yes Guidance is angry at the Tar in panel three, but that's just like when Monica's Doubt was being angry at M for doing Doubts job for her... it was still Doubt, she CAN be angry too without giving up her JOB as Doubt, it's just that she slightly changed her appearance when yelling at Monica... I see that same thing going on here, those panels are both Guidance, but when she got angry at the Tar, she showed it by changing appearances. therefore, I posit that we have NOT seen Anger... Yet... and when we do, that it WILL be OBVIOUS that it's a different Demon...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

scantrontb wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
WHERE are you people seeing the Demon: Anger?... all I see the the Tar and Guidance... yes Guidance is angry at the Tar in panel three, but that's just like when Monica's Doubt was being angry at M for doing Doubts job for her... it was still Doubt, she CAN be angry too without giving up her JOB as Doubt, it's just that she slightly changed her appearance when yelling at Monica... I see that same thing going on here, those panels are both Guidance, but when she got angry at the Tar, she showed it by changing appearances. therefore, I posit that we have NOT seen Anger... Yet... and when we do, that it WILL be OBVIOUS that it's a different Demon...

The one yelling at Tar is Anger. The body is the difference. They seem to be wearing masks, just Like Jet does when she is facing the world so the faces are the same. I made a similar comment earlier in the thread.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Anyone else feel a little strange about the wording in this strip? The more I read it the more I don't agree with the wording by Anger...

"You don't fuck her until her body says 'okay'. "

It's still rape if her body says it's okay. It's not her body that makes the decisions. We've already established that a body can react to stimulus even though the person doesn't want it. The body reacts to stimuli... it is the mind that knows right from wrong... The body is a big sensor, feeding the mind with sensory input. It is the MIND that makes those decisions of yes and no. It appears that Monica's bodywas saying yes... it was her mind that had made the decision that no was the correct response in this situation. Just because something feels good to the body doesn't make it right to continue if the mind tells the person no.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I think I'm starting to agree with scantronb in that it appears to be Guidance in both panels 3 and 4. We have seen Doubt shift form very quickly before. What people are seeing as "Anger's" body may be Guidance's hair before her body finishes forming.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

DilyV wrote:Anyone else feel a little strange about the wording in this strip? The more I read it the more I don't agree with the wording by Anger...

It's still rape if her body says it's okay. It's not her body that makes the decisions. We've already established that a body can react to stimulus even though the person doesn't want it. The body reacts to stimuli... it is the mind that knows right from wrong... The body is a big sensor, feeding the mind with sensory input. It is the MIND that makes those decisions of yes and no. It appears that Monica's bodywas saying yes... it was her mind that had made the decision that no was the correct response in this situation. Just because something feels good to the body doesn't make it right to continue if the mind tells the person no.
yeah I agree with you there.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DilyV wrote:Anyone else feel a little strange about the wording in this strip? The more I read it the more I don't agree with the wording by Anger...

Uh, yeah.

That's what Anger said.

That is, "Even if you fuck her until her body says 'okay' it's still rape."

=============

ADDED: Actually, i had to think about it a few seconds before i understood what you were saying, since i read it the other way from the first.
Last edited by Fairportfan on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:I think I'm starting to agree with scantronb in that it appears to be Guidance in both panels 3 and 4. We have seen Doubt shift form very quickly before. What people are seeing as "Anger's" body may be Guidance's hair before her body finishes forming.
Nah. Anger has boobs.

Guidance doesn't.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

Fairportfan wrote:

Uh, yeah.

That's what Anger said.

That is, "Even if you fuck her until her body says 'okay' it's still rape."

=============

ADDED: Actually, i had to think about it a few seconds before i understood what you were saying, since i read it the other way from the first.

okay I see that now.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

ActionKermit wrote:Interesting that Guidance called it "the" Tar instead of just Tar. Brandi's Nü Gui was referred to as "the Hate", indicating that it's something foreign and other than a typical demon. Sounds like Jet has a metaphysical parasite problem.
I was noticing that too--as if it's not so much a proper demon (if such a beast could exist) as a remnant sludge or contaminant.