On Purpose 2013-08-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
scantrontb

Re: On Purpose 2013-08-26

Post by scantrontb »

TheDOCTOR wrote:I agree. A "Be careful what you wish for, You just might get it."-type moment. I was first thinking this is Georgette also, but there is a resemblance to the "Girl" McBride was 'trying to help'. Foreshadowing perhaps?
nah, if the Jane Doe was actually Georgette, then she would have popped up on the morgues search. someone THAT famous doesn't just "disappear" and leave NOTHING for the cops to trace, and the JD's face wasn't noticeably mutilated so any cursory photo search should have found her, as she died from exposure, not foul play. the eyebrows and facial shape are different too. and if the victim was an illegal immigrant that hadn't done anything to get hauled in by the cops, then the fingerprints wouldn't be in any database here yet either, and since i don't think the cops have the budget/time to do an international database search for each and every JD victim... they do the bare minimum of a local cops, and the feds national missing persons database, and if they don't get a match, they call it quits. it just so happens that in this locality we have Agent McBride that happens to care enough to go that "extra mile"... i also don't think she's Georgette because we saw Mcbride take care of the other girl well before the Thup Arc.

and to contradict myself in my own post...

i agree with you as to the "be careful what you wish for"... and that a Bad-Guy (Tm) could be right behind her listening to her say that, then he follows her to just after she throws the phone away... then strikes when he "knows" she can't call for help... and she isn't reported as missing yet because the other person on the phone isn't EXPECTING her to call for a while and it's only after they get antsy about her missing a scheduled photo shoot that they contact her sister to find out she's been missing for two months (or whatever, comic-time being relative) and that it IS Georgette, and two months ago, the cops DID get a hit, but dismissed it as they either didn't believe it as there was no hubbub about the famous model being missing so "obviously" it wasn't "her", or they did believe it and contacted her business partners/agents, only to be told "no she's fine... blah blah blah, we can't give you her name address due to privacy concerns, etc.." after which they never actually followed through with that line of thought by ACTUALLY calling her sister to find out that "No, i haven't talked to her in over a month, I thought she was with YOU GUYS on another photo op, so i didn't pay attention!!" so, unless the cops actually showed up at their office with a warrant, those people ignored the cops request like they do every other crank caller... i mean, would YOU believe somebody that says on the phone "I'm a cop, give me the famous person's real name/phone number" without proof?... yeah right buddy, you're a crank caller so we ain't gonna do squat... but the PR flacks are trained to "politely" blow off people so the cops never twigged to the fact they got snowed either, thus the cops left it alone as well.

however, this does lead directly into a test of Monica's new-found Jaguar-Girl powers of "talking to the dead" AND it could even take care of Georgette's wish of "faking" her death as well... though it will be a round-about manner of achieving it... she really DID die, but Monica and Agent McBride join clues together and find out where G is currently, and work together to bring her BACK from the dead... and MIB takes care of the cleaning up of any stray witnesses/paperwork...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

They're working overtime at the worm-canning factory for this one --and Georgette has a coupon!

BTW dear, if you're going to toss your phone, pull the battery and pull the SIM card. Crush/grind the SIM into bitty pieces, and use 3 different drops for them. BadGuy(tm) won't have an easily useable phone (needs battery/SIM), and personal data (on SIM) won't be usable.

Sooooo, you Vant to Be Alone, eh? Good luck with that, Greta!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Well, if Georgette wants to drop just off the map and hide, she is much likelier to succeed if she has someone to help, even if it is only to buy pizza for her. And it is likely most of her 'friends' are the types who want to be seen with her, not help her hide. Monica may be the only one who she knows that she feels sure doesn’t fit in that category.

The biggest problem for the Wapsi crew would be the paparazzi that will be after Georgette. When they succeed in finding her then her new friends will also be a subject of interest. Panic and hilarity can then ensue as they try to hide their differences. Imagine how Shelly and Justin respond after being surprised at home by a peeping paparazzi. Or Bud doing her crazy girl routine on them. And I bet Monica can assign each of them new nightmares. They won’t go away and you can’t nuke them, unless Tina can ride to the rescue. MIB will not be amused.

Next comes the stalkers. Maybe Pratt and McBride can do ‘lunch’ with them.
Last edited by My2Cents on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

scantrontb wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:I agree. A "Be careful what you wish for, You just might get it."-type moment. I was first thinking this is Georgette also, but there is a resemblance to the "Girl" McBride was 'trying to help'. Foreshadowing perhaps?
nah, if the Jane Doe was actually Georgette, then she would have popped up on the morgues search. someone THAT famous doesn't just "disappear" and leave NOTHING for the cops to trace, and the JD's face wasn't noticeably mutilated so any cursory photo search should have found her, as she died from exposure, not foul play.
Besides which, "Jane Doe" had rather more noticeable curves than Georgette.

Remember, most people think Georgette has an eating disorder instead of hyper-metabolism.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

scantrontb wrote:
nah, if the Jane Doe was actually Georgette, then she would have popped up on the morgues search. someone THAT famous doesn't just "disappear" and leave NOTHING for the cops to trace, and the JD's face wasn't noticeably mutilated so any cursory photo search should have found her, as she died from exposure, not foul play. the eyebrows and facial shape are different too. and if the victim was an illegal immigrant that hadn't done anything to get hauled in by the cops, then the fingerprints wouldn't be in any database here yet either, and since i don't think the cops have the budget/time to do an international database search for each and every JD victim... they do the bare minimum of a local cops, and the feds national missing persons database, and if they don't get a match, they call it quits. it just so happens that in this locality we have Agent McBride that happens to care enough to go that "extra mile"... i also don't think she's Georgette because we saw Mcbride take care of the other girl well before the Thup Arc.
I think The Doctor meant, the woman we see in today's comic may NOT be Georgette, but is in fact Jane Doe and this is some sort of flashback.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Hmm...

Pablo isn't thekind of writer that does foreshadowing thát clearly. Georgette is about to die? Idoubt it. There's bound to be a chain of events that's fár more complex and mindbending.

But, íf this is an easy set-up, Monica's status as Jaguar-girl "traveller of the World of the Dead" wíll play a part. No doubt.

On Georgette: (I miss those mundane arcs in M's life..) I always felt sorry for her. She wanted to connect, but was só overbearing in it, that M shied away. (And because M didn't like the mirror) i always felt Georgette gènuinely liked Monica, but had sorta forgot the art of "connecting to become friends" because her status had her surrounded by siccophants and false friends that only wanted to befriend her celebrity.

Something that "famous people" often complain about. A fact that leads "famous" people to cluster together, and mistrust peoples' motives which, in turn, often gets explained as "arrogance".

I think Georgette alludes to that (don't feel like Archive-Digging) somewhere in hat short arc.

:o waittaminute... Wasn't Georgette Full-on Irish?? Couple that with the current trend of almost everyone around M being some legendary critter...

And.... Weren't Banshee's originally the spirits of vengeful women that died in a horrible way, or something? (Hmmm.. Have to look that up..)

*Churn, churn*. Uh, oh.

Here's me hoping that Pablo pulls a rabbit from the hat, and proves áll our speculation wrong.... :P
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

My2Cents wrote:Well, if Georgette wants to drop just off the map and hide, she is much likelier to succeed if she has someone to help, even if it is only to buy pizza for her. And it is likely most of her 'friends' are the types who want to be seen with her, not help her hide. Monica may be the only one who she knows that she feels sure doesn’t fit in that category.

The biggest problem for the Wapsi crew would be the paparazzi that will be after Georgette. When they succeed in finding her then her new friends will also be a subject of interest. Panic and hilarity can then ensue as they try to hide their differences. Imagine how Shelly and Justin respond after being surprised at home by a peeping paparazzi. Or Bud doing her crazy girl routine on them. And I bet Monica can assign each of them new nightmares. They won’t go away and you can’t nuke them, unless Tina can ride to the rescue. MIB will not be amused.

Next comes the stalkers. Maybe Pratt and McBride can do ‘lunch’ with them.
Oehh. I lìke that. I've missed the real slapstick and comedy Wapsisquare once had. Tina, Bud, M, Shelly, they áll had glorious moments.

I think Georgette should try to hide with Bud and Brandi. If only to see the pranks Bud would pull on the poor paparazzi (imagine Bud poiting their camera's and stuff around, just to make them go crazy..)

Brandi's motherly nature could be therapeutic for Georgette. Just having someone around that cares "just because", and not because she's a celebrity. G's sisters' pub is nice & all, but that's Family. G could use a real friend. Her mis-fired attempts to connect to M were proof enough, me thinks. And Brandi could also do a bit of bringing-up on G, bring a bit of normalcy..

Well, just rambling. We'll see soon enough if this arc is becoming daily-life comedy with a supernatural twist, or pure horror.

Personally I would like a bit of "normal life" levity and slapstick after the recent arcs with all their twists&turns into The Dark, happy endings notwithstanding. (Mama Kat... :sniff: I lóve that..no,..no, just something in my eye..)
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
as363

Post by as363 »

A Looker for sure (pant pant).. Anyone got a bead on the street sign in the first panel so that we can place where she is ?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

as363 wrote:A Looker for sure (pant pant).. Anyone got a bead on the street sign in the first panel so that we can place where she is ?
30 1st Street North. She's standing outside the Origami Restaurant, corner of 1st and 1st (only in the Twin Cities).
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

The link I meant to put in my other post...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:
as363 wrote:A Looker for sure (pant pant).. Anyone got a bead on the street sign in the first panel so that we can place where she is ?
30 1st Street North. She's standing outside the Origami Restaurant, corner of 1st and 1st (only in the Twin Cities).
I tried to eat there once...but didn't have any foldin' money! :D
rimshot 60.png
rimshot 60.png (108.76 KiB) Viewed 7565 times
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Good to know I'm not the only one who thought this was Georgette. :) Very interested to see where this week will take us though. If you'd told me last week that we would be jumping back to a character we haven't seen for a while, I'd have assumed it would be Amanda or Jacqui, maybe Tepoz...or even Tina (since we actually haven't seen her in a bit either).
Boxilar wrote:...Gorgette...
Do you call her Gorgette on purpose because of her heavy eating habits? :) I'd assumed it was a typo until I saw you spelled it that way every time. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Jay-Em wrote: :o waittaminute... Wasn't Georgette Full-on Irish??
Maybe we'll finally get an explanation of why a Lanthian artifact was buried under an Irish tombstone with a Norse name on it and somehow ended up in a German sub in the Bermuda Triangle?

Not getting my hopes up. :lol:
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Perfect, Georgette is back... As she's independently wealthy she can supply the headquarters and whatnot for all the paranormals now running around Wapsi to become the Twin Cities' first superteam - George's Angels! Yes, let's run with that! :)

TlalocW
eee

Post by eee »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:Monica's life is about to have a mundane intrusion.
Well, Monica's life started getting frantic when she accidentally 'unstoned' Tepoz and had a supernatural intrusion; maybe Georgette can slow things down a bit.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:Oh, Georgette... no, no, no. What are you thinking?

Throw a cellphone down into a sewer? In Minneapolis?!?

It's bound to disturb something that you would much rather not meet!
Maybe Stinky will return it to her... he's pretty good at fetch! Of course, maybe he'll find another sunken U-boat... Cell Phones kinda look like anchors too... ;)
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I think you guys talking about Georgette trying to hide herself away from her notoriety is a little misplaced... She clearly states that she is just taking time off to spend some time with her sister. Kinda puts a fine point on where she'll be, doesn't it? True, she lost the bodyguards, but that's because she wanted alone time and knew the city better than they did. Think of it as a kind of "Calgon, take me away" moment. Sure you know the kids are in the next room, but the door is closed and that bathtub full of bubbles looks sooooo inviting. Can any of us really imagine how intrusive it is to have to have a host of bodyguards everywhere you went? I'm a pretty solitary person and I find large crowds (small ones too) typically annoying. Even if a friend comes over for anything, I can't wait till they leave so I can go back to solitude. I imagine Georgette and I have a lot more in common than I thought. I'm even of Irish decent... red hair freckles and all.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Aleister Crow wrote: Maybe we'll finally get an explanation of why a Lanthian artifact was buried under an Irish tombstone with a Norse name on it and somehow ended up in a German sub in the Bermuda Triangle?

Not getting my hopes up. :lol:
The trail is easy. When Lanta went down people fled with all sorts of things. Some fled to the north of Europe. The artifact was probably the power cell for the vehicle they traveled in. Once it was out of power it became a keepsake, and then a relic of the ancestors. that led to it being passed down over the generations.
Now the Saxon and Norse raiders came out of that area and invade and pillaged large ares of Europe and elsewhere. It is not to hard to see a viking leader dieing in Ireland during the fighting and the local lord took the artifact as a war trophy. Then when he died it was buried with him.
Now during WWII the Germans were exploring and looking into a wide range of occult items, ideas, and groups. They could have found a myth, legend, or tales about a legendary relic being lost in Ireland by the vikings. Then they just had to track the story down, which they did. The U-Boat was then dispatched to get the relic and transport to South America. At that time of the war a lot of high powered Nazis were looking towards escaping Hitler's fall by fleeing to Argentina, etc. So one of them with connections in the search for artifacts decided to get the object so they could continue the work. On their way to South America the sub's crew was overcome by the artifact and its power leading to it's sinking in the Caribbean.

that is the most likely reconstruction to how it got where it was.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

That's not explaining why the local, presumably Irish, lord's grave carried the Norse name of the World Tree ... it's not even handwaving an explanation ... it just bypasses the question in a flurry of words, hoping no one would notice. 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Julie wrote:Good to know I'm not the only one who thought this was Georgette. :) Very interested to see where this week will take us though. If you'd told me last week that we would be jumping back to a character we haven't seen for a while, I'd have assumed it would be Amanda or Jacqui, maybe Tepoz...or even Tina (since we actually haven't seen her in a bit either).
Boxilar wrote:...Gorgette...
Do you call her Gorgette on purpose because of her heavy eating habits? :) I'd assumed it was a typo until I saw you spelled it that way every time. :)
I'd like to make up something clever, but mah brain don't like spelling much. Mildly dyslexic and all that. I tend to transpose letters and numbers or delete them entirely. I have to actively think about simple things like where the "i" and "e" in weight and their go, or I swap them around. Normally, Spell check is my friend, but it doesn't like "Georgette" for some reason.

When that happens, I normally use the poor mans spell check, the search box in the tool bar. Georgette is something I don't normally type or spell, and I was caught up in the moment late in the evening, so i didn't check it.

edited to correct speeling errors ;) and a confession. Spell check does like Georgette. I didn't have it turned on. :oops: