By Morning Light 2012-08-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wdot

Re: By Morning Light 2012-08-29

Post by Wdot »

DM: Nuge you walk in on Phix. The walls are absolutely dripping in gore. The floor looks like that of a abattoir. Phix is on the floor and every part of her is matted in the stuff. The pungent aroma of blood assults your nostrils. You must make a confidence check.
Nudge: Rolls d20. It rolls on the table coming to rest...
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

Nudge - "There is no way in hell I'm cleaning THAT up Phix!"

Phix - "It's not what you think! It's Ketchup!"
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

[quote="Bathorys Daughter"]Ok, my captions would be

1) I'm assuming this is not a nosebleed.
2) Can I get you a moistened towelette?
3) I love what you've done with the place.
4) You are full now? Right?
5) Tell me this isn't Monica!
How about: "Anyone I know?" or perhaps: "Could I get you a Brioschi?"
Seriously, Nudges' face does have a look of ...fear, maybe Shock at what she sees.
Perhaps Phix is in a corner, curled into a fetal position Crying because she lost her son and granddaughter.
ShadOBabe

Post by ShadOBabe »

Yamara wrote:Perhaps.

Let's not forget that while Bia is the one who played Phix and her kid, Nudge is the person who knew about it...

...and didn't tell her.

Unless there are much deeper machinations going on, which I would certainly not yet rule out.
Ummm, yikes... yeah, hadn't thought about that, but you're right.
I hope Nudge will be okay. But she's a tough cookie.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Yamara wrote:And btw, there's blood everywhere, and still no sign of the books.
They're probably off in some nearby corner. Possibly a small reading area, complete with cozy fireplace apparently, and maybe comfy chairs which appear on demand or supplied by the Spanish Inquisition.
I think you've got the right group reference (Monty Python) but the wrong sketch (Spanish Inquisition).

This is clearly a reference to the Architect sketch. Mr. Cleese has simply placed the conveyor belt, the rotating knives, and the slaughtered tenants (or Library patrons) off-panel to one side where they won't obstruct the view out of the Library windows towards the marvelous local sunsets we've seen there.
Dave

Post by Dave »

TheDOCTOR wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:Ok, my captions would be

1) I'm assuming this is not a nosebleed.
2) Can I get you a moistened towelette?
3) I love what you've done with the place.
4) You are full now? Right?
5) Tell me this isn't Monica!
How about: "Anyone I know?" or perhaps: "Could I get you a Brioschi?"
8) Hmmm... Bun Bo Hue, blodplattar, blood sausages, blood pudding, Klingon blood wine... a specialty caterer, I assume?
Julie

Post by Julie »

Frankly, we didn't see many (if any) books when Shelly was yelling at Phix before Bia showed up...and we didn't see books after Bia showed up. It wasn't until after Bia was ejected from the Library and we saw Euryale convincing Monica to leave Phix alone that we got a chance to see the books. Maybe there are areas of the Library that are kept empty. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Julie

Post by Julie »

Fairportfan wrote:Okay.

Scary.

Nudge is freaked at the carnage.
Ditto.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

davids4250 wrote:How does Nudge get those horns through those narrow doorways?
How does she type with those boxing gloves on her hands?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

As far as Nudge pissing Phix off for not telling her, that is not a problem for the same reason that Phix did not tell Shelly from the start. She was under orders not too. The only reason Nudge broke her silence was that she was pissed off at the way Bia was treating Shelly and Phix. Her look of stern determination when she decided to blow Bia's cover (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/for-petesake/) shows this.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

I think the library would take care of Nudge, protecting her from harm since she is a head librarian.
starkruzr wrote:
How does she type with those boxing gloves on her hands?
My normal answer might be "She tricks the keyboard into typing on itself."
This time, however, I must say "What boxing gloves?"
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Fairportfan wrote:Okay.

Scary.

Nudge is freaked at the carnage.

Who knew Phix had all that rage bottled up in side her for so long? Nudge is just lucky that she was outside with Shellinx enjoying the sun set and inside being torn to shreds just like the hairy goat ass who was dumb enough to talk $#@% to Phix and finally trip her trigger.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

1. Nudge does know what a sphinix is and what it does. She knows what Phix is really capable of and has seen it with some of the humans she dealt with as early gaurdian of the library to keep demons out. (Yes she didn't agree but she did follow orders initially.
2. So she can't be surprised by the act. By the mess yes, but not the act.
3. The library protects the books. Try and damage one and it disappears on you. I think blodd splatter qualifies as damge. Don't you.
4. What she gonna do with Phix. Start talking. Nudge is good at talking and making persons realize thngs they need to understand.
5. Gwtting the horns through the door. She can chages size and shape at will not. She simply makes them a little smaller in the doorway. On the other hand this could be a percieved threat reaction and she made them larger at seeing the mess. After all we do not know what phix is doing. She maybe looking at nudge thnking desert.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:
Frankly, we didn't see many (if any) books when Shelly was yelling at Phix before Bia showed up...and we didn't see books after Bia showed up. It wasn't until after Bia was ejected from the Library and we saw Euryale convincing Monica to leave Phix alone that we got a chance to see the books. Maybe there are areas of the Library that are kept empty. :)
I always assumed (yeah, yeah, I know, I know) that the skull motif walls were Phix's private quarters. (even if we saw her sleeping on the floor in the stacks that time - http://wapsisquare.com/comic/wise-words/) As much time as she's lived there, she should have her own room, right?

And every building has back rooms and access ways...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Perhaps Phix is in a corner, curled into a fetal position Crying because she lost her son and granddaughter.
Phix has suffered another loss here; hard to say, but it might be the worst of the lot.

She's lost herself. The person she wanted to be, the person she worked at being for so long...gone, and not yet back. Even if she keeps control for the next thousand years, in her mind she'll be starting from square one.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

zachariah wrote: She maybe looking at nudge thnking desert.
Nudge fudge?
Prester Fred wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:Perhaps Phix is in a corner, curled into a fetal position Crying because she lost her son and granddaughter.
Phix has suffered another loss here; hard to say, but it might be the worst of the lot.

She's lost herself. The person she wanted to be, the person she worked at being for so long...gone, and not yet back. Even if she keeps control for the next thousand years, in her mind she'll be starting from square one.
Very good point. It may not, however, be the first time she has back-slid, but it would be the first time Nudge has seen it. Thus her shock.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:
They're probably off in some nearby corner. Possibly a small reading area, complete with cozy fireplace apparently, and maybe comfy chairs which appear on demand or supplied by the Spanish Inquisition.
I think you've got the right group reference (Monty Python) but the wrong sketch (Spanish Inquisition).

This is clearly a reference to the Architect sketch. Mr. Cleese has simply placed the conveyor belt, the rotating knives, and the slaughtered tenants (or Library patrons) off-panel to one side where they won't obstruct the view out of the Library windows towards the marvelous local sunsets we've seen there.
With Nudge entering, I was thinking more of "Wink, wink, nudge, nudge." But the tone is rather different, of course.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

ShadOBabe wrote:
Yamara wrote:Perhaps.

Let's not forget that while Bia is the one who played Phix and her kid, Nudge is the person who knew about it...

...and didn't tell her.

Unless there are much deeper machinations going on, which I would certainly not yet rule out.
Ummm, yikes... yeah, hadn't thought about that, but you're right.
I hope Nudge will be okay. But she's a tough cookie.
Nudge may have known but at that time she was hiding from the library. Who knows how she was able to hide before Tina, and for how long.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

One thing I have learned from my own culture, and a few others, is that if you don't watch yourself, you'll find out how powerful Tricksters really are. I was mostly raised with Kiowa traditions, which includes Sayn-Day stories. Aside from the usual scamming friends and strangers, he had powerful Medicine, and helped establish some of our deepest beliefs and ways. And if you ticked him off, he could do you some severe mischief. Other Mythic Tricksters were the same way, powerful but content to use it sparingly. I hear that one of my favorites, Anansi the Spider, is like that, his rep reaches all the way across the ocean. He probably trades some hilarious stories with Sayn-Day these days.
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

I applied lateral thinking to the problem. In other words, I think she went through laterally.
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)