Finish My Lesson 2013-08-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
NOTDilbert

Re: Finish My Lesson 2013-08-21

Post by NOTDilbert »

I just had a thought - she kind of reminds me of Odo from DS9. He was experimented on by the Cardassians (the lizard people, not the celebs) and named Odo, meaning, roughly, Garbage.

"Being thrown away", "plant-animal hybrid" - are there paranormal mad scientists out there doing hybrid experiments and discarding the 'failures?' Maybe Mon and Shel and Momma Bear Spider Woman will have to deal with a Mad Scientist.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

The kid's been barefoot the last three pages, and I just noticed!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah wrote:Very nice the way Phix added the 'OR ELSE..' to her statement with her expression in the last panel. lol.
Yes--Castela is off, going to finish her lesson, Phix is just finishing up her lesson, and the two being, err, chastized, are just preparing to start their homework, having finished getting the lesson.

ETA: I wonder if Castela's nickname has anything to do with being a plant? After all, pickles are most often vegetables.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Do you suppose Castela is some form of a Leshonky (Leshy)? She seemed to have the bluish grey skin and horns.
Last edited by Timotheus on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Julie wrote:I can't stop wanting to hug the little tyke!! :)
Jabberwonky wrote:
Zachariah wrote:Now why did yesterdays comment make it sound like they did not know pickle but todays makes it sound like they do? It is possible the girls know about the kids but have not met them yet but that stretches it a bit. If Kathy did tell them about the girls why would she not want Monica and Shelly to meet them. She wouldn't tell Shelly alone as Kathy only knows Shelly through Monica. Why exclude Monica. A bit confusing here. Either that or yesterday was not part of the arc but just a sketch.
She may know them as friends of Mama, but only recently heard that they are 'heroes'...
That was my reading of things...though Dave's theory works just as well. :)
The sketch could also be a sort of flashback when the girls met the new girls for the first time about 2 months ago.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

bmonk wrote:ETA: I wonder if Castela's nickname has anything to do with being a plant? After all, pickles are most often vegetables.
Castela has been wondering about her nickname as well.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Timotheus wrote:Do you suppose Castela is some form of a Leshonky (Leshy)? She seemed to have the bluish grey skin and horns.
Maybe she's part dryad? Though I agree that other mythologies need to represent.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

NOTDilbert wrote:I just had a thought - she kind of reminds me of Odo from DS9. He was experimented on by the Cardassians (the lizard people, not the celebs) and named Odo, meaning, roughly, Garbage.
I just finished binging on the entire DS9 series. Odo was experimented on/raised by the Bajoran scientist Dr. Mora. From Memory Alpha:
"His name stems from the Cardassian word for "nothing," Odo'ital, which was mistranslation of the "Unknown sample" label on his laboratory flask. The Bajoran scientists nicknamed him "Odo Ital" as if it were a Bajoran name, and it was shortened to Odo."
Clearly not a nice name, but Castela is still somewhat unknown to us.

As for Cardassian/Kardashian, I don't see the difference.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

She's got elements of a Hamadryad about her but she's too capable of moving about freely to be a dryad (not tied to a tree) Thorn bushes and trees can be the base forms of hamadryads and they are considered shape-shifters but she just doesn't fit the rest of the criteria. In general appearance she resembles a child of the Leshy the most, although there was nothing said about them concerning the growing of branches or vines when upset (although they are also shape-shifters). They have grey-blue skin, blue blood, and big horns. The books mention green hair like grass or leaves so I suppose we need to find out what color the foliage is on her namesake thorn bush. (I've spent too much time with my bestiaries and The Field Guide To the Little People on this.)
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Mmm, tumbleweed maybe?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

@Shadowinthelight:
True enough. I gotta get my memory cards updated - but, about the possibility of paranormal mad scientists? You think maybe the MIB rousts them out?

Also, isn't she named for the Castela plant?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Timotheus wrote:Do you suppose Castela is some form of a Leshonky (Leshy)? She seemed to have the bluish grey skin and horns.
:)

"She's not a Leshy. She doesn't have hooves."

"Well, neither does her Mama ..."
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Sidhekin wrote:
:)

"She's not a Leshy. She doesn't have hooves."

"Well, neither does her Mama ..."
Maybe not, But I am sure they have a Doctor Hooves in a My Little Pony collection
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Hooves are not consistent in the description. Having reversed left and right feet is mentioned more often (left foot on the right side and right foot on the left side).

A castela is a just plain weird looking plant and I can see no actual resemblance to Castela the enigma girl in any way or form. So if she's somehow physically connected, it must be in a not very obvious way.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Timotheus wrote:Hooves are not consistent in the description. Having reversed left and right feet is mentioned more often (left foot on the right side and right foot on the left side).
Perhaps I should add, I was paraphrasing Linda Medley's Dayne and Tolliver. 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

What can I say, I get a little obsessive sometimes when I'm trying to find things.

I spent nearly a year developing my own relationship version of Norse/Germanic mythology and its creation myths to try and decide just where the Norns fit into the family trees. (I'm a big Oh My Goddess fan.) It's probably a 100 or so pages of script and I don't know how many reference books to reach my conclusion that Urd, Verdandie, and Skuld are actual the sisters of Odin, Vene, and Vi, born of the same parents, and that their place in the power structure is understandable from the Eddas once you work out all the back ground. (ie - Just like the three gods judge the mortals in Hel, the Norns judge the gods.) I got it all written out. And no one cares.

So I'm sure the same applies here. But I'm intrigued by what she is.
Nov shmoz ka pop?