Finish My Lesson 2013-08-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Finish My Lesson 2013-08-21

Post by shadowinthelight »

Or else!
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Opus the Poet

Re: Finish My Lesson 2013-08-21

Post by Opus the Poet »

Well Shelly at least knows who Castela is, she made her a corn dolly. And how many posters here are even aware of what a corn dolly is?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

..Yes.. they will try to be góod examples... After they changed their undies....
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

You know what else goes with fava beans and a nice chianti? Caucasian Eagle.

...goes for. Sorry.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Get it?

Got it.

Good.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Now why did yesterdays comment make it sound like they did not know pickle but todays makes it sound like they do? It is possible the girls know about the kids but have not met them yet but that stretches it a bit. If Kathy did tell them about the girls why would she not want Monica and Shelly to meet them. She wouldn't tell Shelly alone as Kathy only knows Shelly through Monica. Why exclude Monica. A bit confusing here. Either that or yesterday was not part of the arc but just a sketch.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Very nice the way Phix added the 'OR ELSE..' to her statement with her expression in the last panel. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Opus the Poet wrote:Well Shelly at least knows who Castela is, she made her a corn dolly. And how many posters here are even aware of what a corn dolly is?
(raises hand) Helped my Mama make corn doll angels for one Christmas years ago...
Zachariah wrote:Now why did yesterdays comment make it sound like they did not know pickle but todays makes it sound like they do? It is possible the girls know about the kids but have not met them yet but that stretches it a bit. If Kathy did tell them about the girls why would she not want Monica and Shelly to meet them. She wouldn't tell Shelly alone as Kathy only knows Shelly through Monica. Why exclude Monica. A bit confusing here. Either that or yesterday was not part of the arc but just a sketch.
She may know them as friends of Mama, but only recently heard that they are 'heroes'...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

In frame 1 Castela says "Me and the doll are both made of plants!" Congratulations to those who postulated it earlier.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:Now why did yesterdays comment make it sound like they did not know pickle but todays makes it sound like they do? It is possible the girls know about the kids but have not met them yet but that stretches it a bit. If Kathy did tell them about the girls why would she not want Monica and Shelly to meet them. She wouldn't tell Shelly alone as Kathy only knows Shelly through Monica. Why exclude Monica. A bit confusing here. Either that or yesterday was not part of the arc but just a sketch.
I think we can draw a very consistent picture, if we assume that yesterday's sketch is entirely canon, and look back at what has been said previously. Here's how it adds up to me:

Castela has known about Monica and Shelly for some time (weeks?) from what Katherine has told her. Shelly (at least) has heard about Castela, and felt strongly enough about her to make and send a gift (out of Shelly's own Comanche tradition?). Shelly knows enough about the experience of childhood loss, for Castela's parental abandonment to strike home pretty hard, I suspect. (This could also explain why Shelly teared up so hard, when she realized just who her evening hijinks had endangered.)

However, based on Castela's words in these two strips, I infer that Shelly and Castela have likely never met in person before (and that this may be true of Monica as well).

Why? Well, we know that there seem to be firm empirical rules against paranormals going out among humans, unless they can conceal their nature. Castela is clearly not ready for that. Phix has made it clear that she'd be in danger of her life if she were exposed, and so she's still "under wraps" and not allowed to visit places such as the museum, Mucho Mocha, etc. She's probably being voorped directly from Katherine's place, to day-care in the Library, and back again.

All we really have to assume, at this point, is that today is the first time Monica and Shelly have visited the Library recently during day-care hours (which would be Katherine's working hours and thus likely M&S would usually be working as well) and that Kath hasn't yet invited these two over to her (crowded) apartment for an evening visit with the kids.

In other word, Kath is being cautious with the safety of her two young wards.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

My2Cents wrote:In frame 1 Castela says "Me and the doll are both made of plants!" Congratulations to those who postulated it earlier.
Paul specifically said it.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

shadowinthelight wrote:Or else!
... or I will eat your guts over pasta!

“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

Opus the Poet wrote:Well Shelly at least knows who Castela is, she made her a corn dolly. And how many posters here are even aware of what a corn dolly is?

Most of us should be.
eee

Post by eee »

Threat, guilt trip, ego boost, AND an appeal to their higher natures and nurturing instincts. DANG, Phix is good at manipulating people!! :D
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Most Grandparents are. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

eee wrote:Threat, guilt trip, ego boost, AND an appeal to their higher natures and nurturing instincts. DANG, Phix is good at manipulating people!! :D
You forgot terror. Both girls know what Phix can do when she is riled up. I don't know about you but I lived in terror of my grandma finding out it was me who caused the trouble. She believed in the switch and kept one handy for us. She had 6 grand kids all within a five year span. A few years later it was 8. When we all got together we were trouble.
Julie

Post by Julie »

I can't stop wanting to hug the little tyke!! :)
Jabberwonky wrote:
Zachariah wrote:Now why did yesterdays comment make it sound like they did not know pickle but todays makes it sound like they do? It is possible the girls know about the kids but have not met them yet but that stretches it a bit. If Kathy did tell them about the girls why would she not want Monica and Shelly to meet them. She wouldn't tell Shelly alone as Kathy only knows Shelly through Monica. Why exclude Monica. A bit confusing here. Either that or yesterday was not part of the arc but just a sketch.
She may know them as friends of Mama, but only recently heard that they are 'heroes'...
That was my reading of things...though Dave's theory works just as well. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:
eee wrote:Threat, guilt trip, ego boost, AND an appeal to their higher natures and nurturing instincts. DANG, Phix is good at manipulating people!! :D
You forgot terror. Both girls know what Phix can do when she is riled up.
"NOBODY expects the Sphinxish Inquisition! Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Library, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!"
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Dave wrote:
zachariah wrote:
You forgot terror. Both girls know what Phix can do when she is riled up.
"NOBODY expects the Sphinxish Inquisition! Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Library, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!"
I don't know why, but Monica's "grow back"/recovery abilities remind me very much of this
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
analyst

Post by analyst »

Reminds me of two axioms, "Little pitchers have big ears" and "Idols with feet of clay".