Remember Her Name 2013-07-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
kingklash

Re: Remember Her Name 2013-07-15

Post by kingklash »

*gestures wildly in Katherine's direction*
This is exactly what I was hoping to see! The beauracracy better cede to her wishes, or just get the shock out of her way. She's near Critical Mass, and the Genki-Dama she's building up isn't going to play favorites if it's unleashed.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

scantrontb wrote:Ps. what i find amusing is that for a being that is at least 80000 years old, Tsillah's surprisingly, um.. "naive", i guess you could call it?
What do we really know about Tsillah's age, though? We only have indirect hints and incidental information to make our guess out of. We know that she's Nudge's sister, but I've known siblings who are thirty or more years apart in age. . .there's nothing to say that Nudge isn't her senior by some thirty thousand years or so. Heck, we don't even know if she's a full sister, or a half-sister, or a step-sister, or some form of sister that's too weird for mere mortals to ever have thought about before (I'm going to hazard the assumption that they're not a couple of nuns, though). I personally think that Nudge being a much older sister is the most likely scenario, but of course we could end up with some new storyline popping up to prove otherwise.

Tsillah looks and acts like a teenage schoolgirl, and that could very well be just what she is by both her and our measurement of such things. Or it could be an act, or it could be that that is simply how immortal Tsillah-type beings are when they're mere children of five thousand years old or so.

I'm seeing something of a parallel here between her and Atsali, though. When we first met Atsali, she was all enthusiastic and anxious about adventures, and she thought that dragging somebody else (Katherine) off onto an adventure without really giving Katherine a proper chance to consider the notion would be a terrific lark. Tsillah's basically done the same thing, not filling Atsali and Katherine in on what all is going on and treating the whole incident as fun and games. Atsali learned that an adventure can be less fun when it's happening to you rather than happening safely elsewhere or on the pages of a book. Tsillah may very well be a lot more powerful and durable than either Atsali or Katherine, and so might not have really thought that much about the danger the adventure would hold for those who are in the middle of the action. Perhaps she's about to get her own lesson on the reality of adventures when they become personal, and thus grow up a little?

And then she and Atsali can become BFF's, and have a slumber party chaperoned by big sis Nudge, and then the planet would probably end up broken in half or flipped on its axis or something (with a loud, "Aw, pooterville!" echoing through space).
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

sheik wrote:You underestimate the Power of the Command Voice.
I have met a man, perhaps not of this Earth, in Army Basic Training, who could make you quail without raising his voice.
There is no way to describe it, you just have to experience it.
R. Lee Ermy was a pale incompetent by comparison.
If Father had Momma's talent for intimidation and his own projection of authority on steroids you might get an inkling of what it's like.
Kathrine is just a beginner. With practice she could make God Almighty proud.
Holy shit, I think I know that guy!!! Or one like him!!! Beware the Knife hand!!! He whips that out, stick a fork in yourself... you're done!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Yamara wrote:
Julie wrote:
scantrontb wrote:Ps. what i find amusing is that for a being that is at least 80000 years old, Tsillah's surprisingly, um.. "naive", i guess you could call it? I'm not sure of the exact word I'm looking for here. i mean, think about it, she seems like the equivalent of a 13 year old girl in how she squeal's with joy over being allowed to be around Monica (when she got introduced to M via Doubt), and here she's flinching away like a human teenager (or younger) would when getting yelled at by her parents and thinking she's going to get spanked by them... yet we know that she's older than probably the entire length of recorded human history... I'd LOVE to see what the time-span is on her race's lifespan is if 80K+ years is still considered "a teenager"!!
Is she really that old? When we first met her she was carrying a backpack and talked about how she learned about Shelly at school...I mean, she could still be the equivalent of a 13 year old and be much much older...but it makes me wonder at what point paranormals start school...and how long they have to attend. :shock:
The Time Forest was on the opposite "arrow of time", and coursed over all 56 loops, so its history ran "backwards". Thus, the entire story of the Sage of the Forest would materialize in the Library shortly before Shelly 1 departed for her fateful encounter with Shellinx. (IF it was written down--but how else would Shelly earn the title "Sage", or paranormals learn of her, if there was no corpus to be fans of?) Since most paranormals were bound outside of Earth, they did not experience the loops, but may well have experienced a parallel amount of time, as Phix suggested to Brandi when they discussed Brandi's book.

So that's where Scantrob got the 80k years. It could be less, because the corpus would exist in its entirety on our "arrow of time", even as the isolated Shellinx was experiencing it.
Well, we do know that Nudge visited Shelly in the Time Forest...and Phix too...along with other apos who kept their distance from Shelly thanks to Connie...so she could have earned her title of Sage without having written anything, and paranormals would have learned of her from the paranormals that saw her there. :) That said, I think I can see where the idea of an old (in years) Tsillah comes from...who knows when she was in school and who knows when the Sage of the Forest became subject matter for teaching.

Yamara wrote:
Julie wrote:Also, is it her status as a member of MiB or the fact that she's an underaged immortal paranormal that allows Tsillah less restricted access to the Library than Atsali? Because it's not nice to discriminate. :(
It's not, but Tsillah isn't an orphan. In fact she's from a family of privileged servant gods. But as I point out, she's differently abled. So I don't think there's a lack of sympathy, just a lack of communication.

Though unexamined privilege can be a killer.
Oh I wasn't referencing Tsillah's behavior when I was talking about "not nice to discriminate." I was referencing the Library Rule Tsillah seemed to be explaining...how underaged mortal paranormals have set time limits for how long they can be in the Library...a rule Tsillah didn't create. You probably have a point about how her family heritage may grant her less restricted access though. I mean, she's Nudge's sister and Death's daughter. That probably opens doors (especially when said sister is one of the Librarians). I just was curious if there was a different rule for the underaged immortal paranormals vs the mortal ones.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
sheik

Post by sheik »

DilyV wrote:
sheik wrote:You underestimate the Power of the Command Voice.
I have met a man, perhaps not of this Earth, in Army Basic Training, who could make you quail without raising his voice.
There is no way to describe it, you just have to experience it.
R. Lee Ermy was a pale incompetent by comparison.
If Father had Momma's talent for intimidation and his own projection of authority on steroids you might get an inkling of what it's like.
Kathrine is just a beginner. With practice she could make God Almighty proud.
Holy shit, I think I know that guy!!! Or one like him!!! Beware the Knife hand!!! He whips that out, stick a fork in yourself... you're done!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Different guy apparently, this guy practiced Silent Death in an entirely different manner.
His way involved only those standing next to you hearing the the rifle shot.