Waiting To Be Sent Back 2013-07-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Waiting To Be Sent Back 2013-07-12

Post by jwhouk »

davids4250 wrote:
My2Cents wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Kathrine is a researcher, not an archivist plus, surprisingly enough, seems to have a flair for field work unlike a certain Irish-Latina coworker. She is six merged souls into one, six merged individuals into one, and something else we have yet to find out.
but if it turns out she can command the Library, what else would you call her?
Ma'am.
No.

"Doctor."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

davids4250 wrote:
My2Cents wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Kathrine is a researcher, not an archivist plus, surprisingly enough, seems to have a flair for field work unlike a certain Irish-Latina coworker. She is six merged souls into one, six merged individuals into one, and something else we have yet to find out.
but if it turns out she can command the Library, what else would you call her?
Ma'am.
Milady?
Highness?
Majesty?
She Who Must Be Obeyed?

Please-Don't-Hurt-Me-Ma'am?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Forklifter

Post by Forklifter »

If She can command the Library? You call her God.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Tsillah and Nudge are sisters and have both been displaying rather similar personalities; not particularly malicious ones but definitely devious and impish. Both are very Puck-like in their attitude toward others, caring and attentive one minute, then deceptive and misleading then next. And always with their own agendas in mind.

The only persons they seem truly concerned with staying on track with are their parents, and we've seen their father at least is in some way beholding to Bia, so that may indicate some of their bias. But it is also true though that Nudge certainly blew Bia's cover out of the water in front of Shelly and Phix, so it would seem likely they are pretty much free agents as far as the Wapsie crew is concerned.

By all indications, the Library is a fully independent entity that answers to no one in the pursuit of its function. It has its rules and limitations within which it must function, but within those it has full authority over most things within and without its walls.

No one can command it, just make requests. It is an arbitrator, recorder of status, regulator, licensing agent, and general control agency. It decides who's what is where. It does not make the rules, it just makes sure they are followed.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

A Celestial Filing Depot, in other words.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

My fear is that Kath's anger might be interpreted by the library in such a way that deems her not worthy of the use of the library...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Timotheus wrote:Tsillah and Nudge are sisters and have both been displaying rather similar personalities; not particularly malicious ones but definitely devious and impish. Both are very Puck-like in their attitude toward others, caring and attentive one minute, then deceptive and misleading then next. And always with their own agendas in mind.

The only persons they seem truly concerned with staying on track with are their parents, and we've seen their father at least is in some way beholding to Bia, so that may indicate some of their bias. But it is also true though that Nudge certainly blew Bia's cover out of the water in front of Shelly and Phix, so it would seem likely they are pretty much free agents as far as the Wapsie crew is concerned.

By all indications, the Library is a fully independent entity that answers to no one in the pursuit of its function. It has its rules and limitations within which it must function, but within those it has full authority over most things within and without its walls.

No one can command it, just make requests. It is an arbitrator, recorder of status, regulator, licensing agent, and general control agency. It decides who's what is where. It does not make the rules, it just makes sure they are followed.

The only problem with your insightful ideas here is that we are still not sure which parent Nudge and Tsillah share. But I totally agree with you on their methods and the Library's nature. The structure seems to be a vary ancient, hyper-intelligent pan dimensional entity (Just hopefully there are no Mice (my apologies to the late great Douglas Adams))
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Avenger_Reloaded

Post by Avenger_Reloaded »

I am wondering if the library is treating people like books.

When Monica needed information, she got a refined stack of books. On her way to a table, she walks into a naked southern accent volume of cold hard knowledge.

Katherine needs an adventure, comes in to the library with something specific in mind but before she can even check out a book, Atsali is there for her in all her flightiness. Now that (In the library's estimation) Atsali is no longer needed, she checked her back into the orphanage like a refiled book. It seemed Atsali KNEW this was going to happen. Has it happened before? Is the orphanage an actual location or just stasis crystals, where people are just waiting to get checked out again? No wonder Atsali wanted an adventure.

Oh well just me thinking out loud again.

Your thoughts?
Myths which are believed in tend to become true. -George Orwell
Dr. Tim

Post by Dr. Tim »

Hi, I'm a new poster here, although I have been reading a long time :).

To me, this seems like a "nudge" to help Kath push to adopt Atsali and use the offer of joining the MIB as a means of pressing the issue.
In other words, they want her, therefore, she seeks the consideration of adoption as a means of sealing the deal.
This helps Kath find someone to be part of her life (at least in humanoid form) and fill a void in both lives.
Just my thoughts on the matter.

Love the work, although this particular storyline seems to be starting from the end moving backwards.
A bit different on the writing, but still lots of fun to read :).
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

"Starting from the end and moving backwards?" I can't say I know what you mean; care to elaborate?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Ohnhai

Post by Ohnhai »

Ohnhai wrote:
mrsmack wrote:I'm having trouble figuring out which order the panels should read. Can someone help me out?

Also, am I the only one a bit confused by it? I usually don't have this problem.
Nope. Not the only one...

The flow is completely out of wack. Even if the the dividing line between the lower three and the upper three panels was a straight line the order of the top thre would still be a little ambiguous.
With all due apologies,I've actually had a go at re-arranging the flow to read better.

I kinda like how widening the top frame makes it seem like Atsali is on the edge of an even bigger emotional darkness
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I've seen several comments about Kath going to the Library seeking an adventure, but she did not. She went there seeking information and immediately ran into Sali who WAS looking for adventure and dragged Kath along with her.
It Kath was looking for an adventure, I think it was more of an academic search, not the Indiana Jones ride she got.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Dave

Post by Dave »

davids4250 wrote:I've seen several comments about Kath going to the Library seeking an adventure, but she did not. She went there seeking information and immediately ran into Sali who WAS looking for adventure and dragged Kath along with her.
It Kath was looking for an adventure, I think it was more of an academic search, not the Indiana Jones ride she got.
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/an-adventure/

This appeared just the day before she started her research effort.
Dr. Tim

Post by Dr. Tim »

Sorry for the delay in replying. Busy here in the real world.

I meant the current storyline seems to be starting from the end by solving the problem first, then going backwards to explain what had happened that led up to the problem.
The issue of Kath and Atsali are mixed in there as well.

Technically, I guess, it is two separate plots moving in opposite directions.

One where Kath first meets Atsali for their relationship, and one where the issue with the chessmaster is resolved and then the history of the actions taken to catch the chessmaster are described after the fact (kind of like a scooby-doo sequence where they describe everything the bad guy did up to the moment he was caught, after he was caught).

Still lots of fun and I find this one of the more entertaining dailies I read.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Dr. Tim wrote:I meant the current storyline seems to be starting from the end by solving the problem first, then going backwards to explain what had happened that led up to the problem.
I'll have to take your word for it, because I don't see it that way. So far as I can tell, the rules of cause-and-effect seem to operating normally.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dr. Tim wrote:Sorry for the delay in replying. Busy here in the real world.

I meant the current storyline seems to be starting from the end by solving the problem first, then going backwards to explain what had happened that led up to the problem.
The issue of Kath and Atsali are mixed in there as well.

Technically, I guess, it is two separate plots moving in opposite directions.

One where Kath first meets Atsali for their relationship, and one where the issue with the chessmaster is resolved and then the history of the actions taken to catch the chessmaster are described after the fact (kind of like a scooby-doo sequence where they describe everything the bad guy did up to the moment he was caught, after he was caught).

Still lots of fun and I find this one of the more entertaining dailies I read.
I can see where you're coming from on this one. After all...the "fix" for Brandi was handled very quickly in terms of how other aspects of the Wapsi story have run. I mean, the Calendar Machine was a known problem in need of a fix for a LONG time before the girls actually "fixed" it, and Jin was known to be broken and in need of "fixing" for a long time before she had that vimana cell implanted into her. We didn't really know or understand the nature of Brandi's "problem" until after this adventure started (I think most of us were curious about the "deal" she'd made, but we didn't know it was problematic or needed undoing), and she was "fixed" only a couple months after that. So now we're left looking for the pieces that led Tsillah/Library/Bud/etc to the realization that she was in need of help and how to provide said help...which is a little bit counter to our norm here...but I think it's cool and change is good! :) Keeps things interesting!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Avenger_Reloaded wrote:I am wondering if the library is treating people like books.

When Monica needed information, she got a refined stack of books. On her way to a table, she walks into a naked southern accent volume of cold hard knowledge.

Katherine needs an adventure, comes in to the library with something specific in mind but before she can even check out a book, Atsali is there for her in all her flightiness. Now that (In the library's estimation) Atsali is no longer needed, she checked her back into the orphanage like a refiled book. It seemed Atsali KNEW this was going to happen. Has it happened before? Is the orphanage an actual location or just stasis crystals, where people are just waiting to get checked out again? No wonder Atsali wanted an adventure.

Oh well just me thinking out loud again.

Your thoughts?
Interesting concept. The numbering and processing stages might be rather painful, not to mention the shelving (as we have seen).
Dave

Post by Dave »

bmonk wrote:
Avenger_Reloaded wrote:I am wondering if the library is treating people like books.
Interesting concept. The numbering and processing stages might be rather painful, not to mention the shelving (as we have seen).
It would also tend to define most interpersonal problems as being equivalent to paper cuts. I'm not sure whether that would be a good thing or a bad thing.