End Of Story 2013-07-09

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jabberwonky

Re: End Of Story 2013-07-09

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:"Before you set out on a mission of vengeance... dig two graves."
Two graves? You underestimate me...
Really, you only need one. Just make it the mass grave variety.
I'd like to think that if I were to go to that extreme for revenge that I would take the time and effort to tailor the invidial revenge motif to the individual trangression.
I'd like to be remembered for personal. thoughtful service.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I suppose now Thup has met General Zod & Co. in the Phantom Zone and is already developing plans for dominating the world(s).
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

It's one thing to confine her, quite another to take pleasure in her suffering. While it's true she caused untold death and suffering herself, all those who were involved are now dead and their souls free. IMHO, no one deserves eternal punishment, ever. Maybe a term twice as long as the crystal people might be applicable, but not forever with no hope of an end. I'm sure
Yes, só much thàt^^. It was something about sunday school that bothered me, as a kid, to nó end. The concept of Hell for Eternity. There's something jùst nót right there. (Something that Jerry Pournell & Larry Niven also cover in their gloriously funny, yet evocative "Inferno" and "Escape from Hell")

Call me a flaming, naïve weak-hearted liberal Euro-Wussie (I have been called worse) but Despite being rather agnostic, I am more of a new-testamental guy, where forgiveness is a great deal. Éven if "forgiving" seems wholly impossible. What a mind of "forgiveness" leads to? Well, I have to take only óne look at Nelson Mandela, and know it's the right way.

The Nuï Gui is taken-out of the equation. That suffices for me. Forcing undescribable suffering as a retibution for undescribable suffering Leads to an endless cycle of retribution. Just stop the tormenter from ever hurting everyone again, and preferably nòt by killing him/her. "Eye for an eye, leads to a People unable to see"

Brandi basically knows this too. When she wished for her tormenters to die horribly in that pit, and Jin caused as such, she felt quite a bit of remourse. When confronted with her own primitive lust for revenge, she realized she actually wasn't like that.

Interesting that Paul -at some point- decided that Brandi/Director Oduya would be two distinct sides of the same coin. Where the one would be the complete anathema to the other.
Last edited by Jay-Em on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Atomic wrote:I suppose now Thup has met General Zod & Co. in the Phantom Zone and is already developing plans for dominating the world(s).
Maybe she'll bump into holo-Moriarty as well. Yikes, what a team THAT would be!! :shock:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

MerchManDan wrote:Ah, justice. Nothing else is quite so satisfying.
zachariah wrote:There has to be a better end to this story than this! To many loose ends. While the action is over where is the reveal and tieing up loose ends?? Come on finish the story correctly.
Sheesh, Zack, show a little patience. The story isn't over yet; hell, this WEEK isn't over yet. :roll:
Maybe but the title END OF STORY, is a bit significant. That sorta means That's all folks. Unless he flashes a screen saying Epilogue in tomorrows strip. Or will it be END OF STORY 1. Worst case it flips to another story line and doesn't ever come back.

Funniest would be show one frame with credits and then have Phix and Nudge review the movie for the TV audiences.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

txmystic wrote:
I say let her cast it right into the sun with the calendar machine...perhaps since the crystal requires a nova-sized explosion to be destroyed, sending it into the center of the sun won't destroy it. So Thup will sit in the sun's core roasting for billions of years, may or may not get ejected when the sun explodes into a red giant (again assuming only a nova can destroy the crystal), and then spend the rest of eternity inside the cold core of the now white dwarf sun or travelling across interstellar space hoping that she defeats the astronomical odds of colliding with a large star just as it goes supernova...anyone want to place bets?
If these crystals are so tough then how could the explosion have destroyed them when Malaposi blew up. Doesn't that mean there are now millions of empty crystals scattered around the area just waiting to be found? This makes it seem like the self destruct was only there to destroy the controls and kill intruders without loosing the data.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
eee

Post by eee »

KnightDelight wrote:
Dave wrote:It certainly seems like a fitting sort of fate and punishment... the Nu Gui's chosen method of retribution upon the Lanthians, has just become an infinitely-prolonged boomerang.

"Before you set out on a mission of vengeance... dig two graves."
Problem is, now vengeance has been taken on the NG. The 2 graves thing would be equally applicable to those involved in her capture. It's one thing to confine her, quite another to take pleasure in her suffering. While it's true she caused untold death and suffering herself, all those who were involved are now dead and their souls free. IMHO, no one deserves eternal punishment, ever. Maybe a term twice as long as the crystal people might be applicable, but not forever with no hope of an end. I'm sure there are many spirits who would like to see Lily and Suzi locked forever up like NG for what they did to them. Lily can gloat now, but her past isn't exactly free of wanton slaughter either. There is a pot-kettle element to all this. Careful what you wish on others ... others may be wishing it happens to you.
Um... No, all those involved are NOT all dead and souls free. If I understand Atsali's babbling correctly, Lily is one of the six mothers of the quads. She was dumped in the desert to die with the other five, and did; but came back as a vampire. She's had thousands of years of suffering because of the NG. And now she's in position for payback. For herself, her fellow mothers, her three other children who the NG set up to die before they were born, her people, AND Kath, who is the result of the six merged quads and hence 1/6 her daughter. Who the NG tried to kill. Not to mention all the other people the NG has probably killed, mutilated, or ruined over the years as the Chessmaster. If ANYONE has the right to send the NG into eternal suffering and gloat over it, it's Lily.

There's also another problem. You seem to be assuming the Na Gui is just a misguided soul. In the Wapsiverse, it appears to be a force dedicated to evil and harming others. She a rabid beast who CAN'T stop biting others. Released after a billion billion years she'll STILL try to inflict pain on those she regards as enemies. Eternal imprisonment until the end of time would appear to be the only option...
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Give the crystal to Katherine, the last truly living member of the Etheitians. Let the Nu Gui watch as she lives the life it tried so hard to snuff out. Let it watch as she has kids, and they have kids, and the line of the Etheitians continues on, and on, and on. Let it watch forever, knowing it's plan of vengeance ultimately failed.

That would be revenge.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

shadowinthelight wrote: Still have a floppy drive in my PC, and it will keep getting moved into each rebuild as long as motherboards still support it.
Win 7 doesn't seem to like Floppies very much. If a file takes up more than half the space on the disk, it won't let you put it on it.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

DilyV wrote:Wow... While I think Lily is bent on smashing the crystal, I find myself thinking Bud is going to pop back in and stop her... I honestly hope not. Thup needs to suffer... if for no other reason than to pay for all those children's lives she so callously snuffed out.

On the other hand, Maybe Bud could gauge her throw to give the crystal enough escape velocity, but limit the speed of transit to hundreds of years enroute to a fiery end in the sun. The Klingons had it only half right. Revenge is a dish that is best served cold. I suggest that revenge is a dish that is best served cold then heated to plasma. Imagine Centuries of freezing cold to ruminate about your crimes against innocents all the while knowing that you will end up in the sun...
Or maybe she could throw her away from the sun...towards Jupiter or Pluto or something. :) That would be good too...and certainly would put her far out of reach of humanity (though I don't know how non-human-based supernaturals would be affected by distance and space).
zachariah wrote:There has to be a better end to this story than this! To many loose ends. While the action is over where is the reveal and tieing up loose ends?? Come on finish the story correctly.
Did you know? This is the story that never ends...Yes it goes on and on my friend...Some guy just started telling it not knowing what it was...And now he'll keep on telling it forever just because... :P Oh...and I think the page title is more of a reference to the finality of Thup's situation (kind of like when someone telling a story or answering a question wants to emphasize that there really isn't anything more to tell on that particular point). She doesn't get an out like the Etheitians did. She's locked away forever. Period. End of story. :)
Yamara wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:It's one thing to confine her, quite another to take pleasure in her suffering. While it's true she caused untold death and suffering herself, all those who were involved are now dead and their souls free. IMHO, no one deserves eternal punishment, ever.
Concurred. What is Thup, really?

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/a-nu-gui-deal/

Seemingly, she's a human soul that persisted after the destruction of Lanthis, and made a deal with the post-Chimera Brandi. That's a lot of suffering already. The Etheithians were said by Atsali to have desired to create an army of golems-- Lanthian-style evil, which Brandi was eager to stop, but the nu gui was able to. "Oft evil will evil mar."
Oooo...very good point and interesting perspective on things. It's easy for us to be angry with/hate Thup, but if you think of her more as a wronged being with unresolved issues, it's a lot harder to be excited about her being eternally punished. I mean, I'm not a fan of the victim mentality, but I also don't know enough about Nü Guis to be able to say "she should have known better" or "she should have used that experience as a learning opportunity." It's very likely that once she became a Nü Gui, she no longer had the ability to truly resolve her issues and grow into a "better person" due to the whole being dead thing (and potentially being locked into the emotional maturity and/or feelings associated with her death). If there aren't any growth or change options available for a being, is it right to punish it for what it is? I mean, yes...something that manipulative and mean-spirited should be kept as far away from people as possible, but I'm not so sure that it should be tortured or "punished" (beyond being trapped in a way that prevents it from acting). What good would it do other than to give someone else the (IMO twisted) pleasure of knowing she's suffering? So yeah...maybe I'll change my mind about tossing her into space...though that's better than shattering her...
eee wrote:There's also another problem. You seem to be assuming the Na Gui is just a misguided soul. In the Wapsiverse, it appears to be a force dedicated to evil and harming others. She a rabid beast who CAN'T stop biting others. Released after a billion billion years she'll STILL try to inflict pain on those she regards as enemies. Eternal imprisonment until the end of time would appear to be the only option...

Yes...but the mention Lily made of the pain that Thup would experience if the crystal was shattered...the "endless painful suffering"...maybe she was only suggesting that being locked away is painful suffering for Thup (and being shattered would multiply that experience), but it sounded like being shattered would hurt forever in a different way than just being locked away with awareness. Like I said, I'm all for her being imprisoned where she can't hurt anyone anymore, but I don't see the point in causing any further torment to a being who wasn't responsible for what she became and doesn't seem to have the ability to be anything other than what she is. She may not be a "misguided soul," but she is the baby that Brandi accidentally killed (according to Bud).

So yeah...today's page is very good and brings up a lot of interesting moral questions. :) Yay Paul!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Yeah,yeah Bad guys caught, yadda-yadda. I'm worried about Atsali. I don't want her to d... I think shes a keeper too cute to go so quick.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Years ago I was working a swing shift, and started to watch a show that was re-enactments of actual court transcripts. It didn't take long to loose interest in the program, and I wasn't sure why at first. After thinking about it, it was the fact that most of the cases weren't resolved. Sure there were, by legal standards, a finish, but not a satisfying 'story book ending'. Sometimes to the fact that the defendant wasn't guilty, but it wasn't the courts responsibility to find out who was. That was for investigators, so you were left hanging.
Sometimes the end of the story has loose threads...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Well, this may the end of the story for the nu gui but what happened to Atsali and all that stuff in her head? I don't see how going through the stargate with a full data buffer crystal would help her.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Nü Gui crystállum aráneam wgah'nagl fhtagn. (With apologies to H.P. Lovecraft)
They get out. They always get out. Punishment yeah, but rehabilitation is better in the long run. If it's not possible, then death/oblivion. Because if not, billions of years from now, some beings are going to be running around trying to prevent the foretold resurrection of the dread SpiderGoddess, Nü Gui, from destroying the world.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
illiad

Post by illiad »

jwhouk wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote: Still have a floppy drive in my PC, and it will keep getting moved into each rebuild as long as motherboards still support it.
Win 7 doesn't seem to like Floppies very much. If a file takes up more than half the space on the disk, it won't let you put it on it.
you need to check your sector size/ allocation unit on disk...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274 ... -size-4096

you can get some large ones, so windows seems to look at the units, assumes there are not enough on floppy, and gives up...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wdot wrote:Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Nü Gui crystállum aráneam wgah'nagl fhtagn. (With apologies to H.P. Lovecraft)
They get out. They always get out. Punishment yeah, but rehabilitation is better in the long run. If it's not possible, then death/oblivion. Because if not, billions of years from now, some beings are going to be running around trying to prevent the foretold resurrection of the dread SpiderGoddess, Nü Gui, from destroying the world.
Buffy: This is how many apocalypses for us now?
Giles: Oh, uh, well, six at least. Feels like a hundred.

You have a point, Wdot. "Forever" and "never" are such absolutes, and the world doesn't actually seem to deliver on them all that often. There's always a loophole, it seems.

The dark priests of the secret-and-outlawed cult of the Spidergoddess would probably knock themselves out developing a fanatical theology around their holy mission to locate and "repair" the prison-crystal. Supplicants would go on a holy quest to discover the Sacred JTAG Reader of Resurrection. Long, noisy debates in Congress about whether freedom of religion allows the cult to ignore Federal drug laws and keep brewing up their sacramental Venom o' Hate for those kinky dark-of-the-moon ceremonies.

Bud would end up having to spend all her time poiting their missionaries to Uganda, rather than having it be just a sometime thing when she was really annoyed with their unannounced visits.

Some sort of final, clean resolution does seem as if it would be less trouble in the long run, if it's even possibly now.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

All the debate about Lil's vengance on the NuG', but I agree with the "Two Graves" quote. You dig one for your target, and one for yourself, to prevent perpetuation of cycle. No-one really survives, or wins, any form of revengance.

Amalgam Comics' Dark Claw had a good perspective on that: "I always figured you and I were the same, Talia. And if I was ever face to face with the one who shot my parents...It could only go one of two ways. Either I wouldn't kill him... Or I'd regret for the rest of my life that I had. My mind was nothing but fire and pain 'til I sorted at least that much out." -Dark Claw Adventures #1 June 1997
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

zachariah wrote:If these crystals are so tough then how could the explosion have destroyed them when Malaposi blew up. Doesn't that mean there are now millions of empty crystals scattered around the area just waiting to be found? This makes it seem like the self destruct was only there to destroy the controls and kill intruders without loosing the data.
The crystals are, as you note, empty. Atsali had released the Etheitians. So the data would have been lost not in the scattering of crystals, but (with Atsali) as the intruders were killed.

I also note that while a supernova is said to maybe being capable of "ending" the "torture", there is also conjecture that "someone" could break the crystal, thereby "multiplying" said "torture".

The Mapimi explosion may have scattered billions of (empty) shards around the area.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

zachariah wrote:Maybe but the title END OF STORY, is a bit significant. That sorta means That's all folks. Unless he flashes a screen saying Epilogue in tomorrows strip. Or will it be END OF STORY 1. Worst case it flips to another story line and doesn't ever come back.
The title is quoting Pratt, in panel 1. It is not a reference to the end of this particular storyline.
end_of_story.jpg
end_of_story.jpg (107.74 KiB) Viewed 8008 times
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Aleister Crow wrote:Give the crystal to Katherine, the last truly living member of the Etheitians. Let the Nu Gui watch as she lives the life it tried so hard to snuff out. Let it watch as she has kids, and they have kids, and the line of the Etheitians continues on, and on, and on. Let it watch forever, knowing it's plan of vengeance ultimately failed.

That would be revenge.
Now that is true wisdom.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.