Mmmm, beer...

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Mark N

Re: Mmmm, beer...

Post by Mark N »

DinkyInky wrote:As some of you I am sure have guessed, I live in Indiana. Recently, it started to get that frosty feeling(*drops a snowman collectors ornament and Righteous Brothers vinyl in the pun jar*) outside.

I'm rather fond of hot chocolate, and have made it the old fashioned way with chocolate, simple syrup, cocoa powder and heavy cream over a double boiler until nice and frothy. Last Winter, I made a nice Mug of "Hot Chocolate" with a bar of Lindt's Pepero Chocolate. It got me thinking of I think it was Julie talking about Ghost Killer beer.

I am so tempted to go get a bottle and mix it with a shot of chocolate liqueur and make a sort of a "Hot Chocolate" beer.

Somebody stop me please?
As long as you keep it from the Wee One, no one is gonna stop you. In fact, you better bring some for the rest of us. :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Bein' a Texan, I am no stranger to hot n spicy offerings at restaurants. However, the quality of said offerin's tend t' vary from place t' place. One of th' best, in my opinion, is from a small chain called Freebirds World Burritos. Their Death Sauce is a lovely blend of peppers, including Chile de Arbol Peppers, which has flavor in addition to heat. It makes a wonderful blend when you mix it with their Habanero Sauce. You can even eat it on their Cayenne tortillas, if you are brave enough.

Now doing this with a Monster Burrito (we're talking about 4 inch DIAMETER, and about nine inches long) is enough to sate most appetites (that's why they have the Super Monster, which is a foot long), and might be paired with Ghost Faced Killah to produce a spicy and flavorful meal which will make even a true Texan's eyes water.

Personally, I much prefer a milder Meade, such as the one mentioned earlier by the SCAer. I like a drink I can savor and enjoy, rolling it around the mouth to capture every nuance. Preferably from the sidelines, with a buxom wench on my lap (well, a buxom wife, these days), watching the younger lads give each other broken bones and concussions out of stubbornness to win the tourney. Occasionally hoisting a pint when a particularly painful sounding impact echoes across the bouting arena. Let the youngsters try and prove themselves, I much prefer the Horde's tactics... be taken out at the slightest hit, and enjoy life. R.I.P. Bob, this'un's fer you.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Bein' a Texan, I am no stranger to hot n spicy offerings at restaurants. However, the quality of said offerin's tend t' vary from place t' place. One of th' best, in my opinion, is from a small chain called Freebirds World Burritos. Their Death Sauce is a lovely blend of peppers, including Chile de Arbol Peppers, which has flavor in addition to heat. It makes a wonderful blend when you mix it with their Habanero Sauce. You can even eat it on their Cayenne tortillas, if you are brave enough.

Now doing this with a Monster Burrito (we're talking about 4 inch DIAMETER, and about nine inches long) is enough to sate most appetites (that's why they have the Super Monster, which is a foot long), and might be paired with Ghost Faced Killah to produce a spicy and flavorful meal which will make even a true Texan's eyes water.

Personally, I much prefer a milder Meade, such as the one mentioned earlier by the SCAer. I like a drink I can savor and enjoy, rolling it around the mouth to capture every nuance. Preferably from the sidelines, with a buxom wench on my lap (well, a buxom wife, these days), watching the younger lads give each other broken bones and concussions out of stubbornness to win the tourney. Occasionally hoisting a pint when a particularly painful sounding impact echoes across the bouting arena. Let the youngsters try and prove themselves, I much prefer the Horde's tactics... be taken out at the slightest hit, and enjoy life. R.I.P. Bob, this'un's fer you.
I LOVE Freebirds! Death Sauce Wins! Nobody around here can make a decent hot sauce...it's all vinegar and pepper, all heat and no taste. I usually have to have teriyaki sauce brought on the side to dip in, as I can't stand bland heat. It was one of the awesome places we visited on our tour of Texas(well, the Dallas area anyway). That and El Fenix...oh, and we got to visit the Roadhouse(I live near the original Texas Roadhouse) out there, and made small talk with the locals while feasting on good beef.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DinkyInky wrote:As some of you I am sure have guessed, I live in Indiana. Recently, it started to get that frosty feeling(*drops a snowman collectors ornament and Righteous Brothers vinyl in the pun jar*) outside.

I'm rather fond of hot chocolate, and have made it the old fashioned way with chocolate, simple syrup, cocoa powder and heavy cream over a double boiler until nice and frothy. Last Winter, I made a nice Mug of "Hot Chocolate" with a bar of Lindt's Pepero Chocolate. It got me thinking of I think it was Julie talking about Ghost Killer beer.

I am so tempted to go get a bottle and mix it with a shot of chocolate liqueur and make a sort of a "Hot Chocolate" beer.

Somebody stop me please?
Stop you? I want to hear the results of this experiment!
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Somebody stop me please?
Heck no! I want to hear how this works out! :) Maybe the inferno-beverage can be tamed when mixed with some chocolatey goodness. :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:Heck no! I want to hear how this works out! :) Maybe the inferno-beverage can be tamed when mixed with some chocolatey goodness. :D
It would certainly be a good experiment, consistent with the Wapsi theme. The Aztecs used chocolate as part of a high-social-status beverage that included hot peppers as well as other herbs and spices... I've tasted one company's attempt to recreate such a recipe and it's quite intriguing. I don't know if the Aztecs ever made a beer-based version, but that certainly should not discourage you from trying!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

No luck finding it here...Nobody is crazy enough to special order it for me either(I have called a few of my fave liquor stores).

Any one want to ship a bottle to me for a crazy experiment?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Been playing this hilarious game lately. Called, "The Bard's Tale". Hilarious in every way possible, and has a bonus of having Cary Elwes(Westley from The Princess Bride, and Robin Hood from Men in Tights) as Bard, and Tony Jay(Megabyte from ReBoot),as the Snarky irreverent Narrator). Laughed my way through four chapters of the game so far, and had an EQ moment when it became 3am, and I couldn't figure out how it happened. I was farming mobs for cash for gear and any xp bonuses, then BAM! Too late/early o'clock.

Here's a sample of what had me in stitches. The sample clip fits this thread, so I stuck it here. This is the kind of clip I don't mind having stuck in my head.
Last edited by DinkyInky on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--Safyr Drathmir
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

...DinkyInky, was there supposed to be a link for us to click on?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

MerchManDan wrote:...DinkyInky, was there supposed to be a link for us to click on?
If it's the one I think it is, she's talking about this little earworm.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

MerchManDan wrote:...DinkyInky, was there supposed to be a link for us to click on?
How odd. I re-edited it so it should make sense now. Sorry! :oops:

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
If it's the one I think it is, she's talking about this little earworm.
Yup, that's the one! Hyu haff my thenks dollink!

--Safyr Drathmir
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Ah, excellent! :mrgreen: I've discovered my new favourite drinking song. Not that I do much singing whilst drinking (besides karaoke, of course)....
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

MerchManDan wrote:Ah, excellent! :mrgreen: I've discovered my new favourite drinking song. Not that I do much singing whilst drinking (besides karaoke, of course)....
That makes great karaoke! Just insert names of your three fave pubs.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

For the record, my husband and I pranked my beer-loving uncle with a bottle of the Ghost Face Killah a month ago. It went brilliantly. :)

Also, I've got yet another "new favorite" beer! Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout is AMAZING!! :) Yes, it's yet another Sam Smith beer that I've added to my list of awesome...so sue me. :P
"Just open your eyes
Dragon Hostler

Post by Dragon Hostler »

I won't describe too many beers I've had, since I've long forgotten many of them and it would bore even me, and I do love to talk about beers.
To preface, when I moved back to Texas in 1981, I threw away a 300+ bottle cap collection, and never started a new one. That's drank every bottle to get the caps, some additional beers were can or draft, and some caps were not obtained. This doesn't make me an expert by any means, just a fan.
The first beer I remember tasting was my dad's Busch Bavarian in the mid-'60's. These were pre-pulltab, probably steel can. Not modern Busch, which I can't abide, unless it's the very last thing in the ice chest.
Mom started letting me have a beer or two at 13-14 after chores or at kickoff time on weekend afternoons, that was classic gold label Michelob Lager, which is still a favorite.
Not much later, I started buying beer underage for myself and some friends We went fancy with Molson Golden Ale. At $2.29 a sixer it was easy to afford, even on snowblower earnings. We'd load up our parkas and walk the streets [too cold to stay in one spot] drinking Molson and eating Freihofer's soft chocolate chip cookies. Later we got into Genesee Cream Ale, it was even cheaper back then. Never cared for Genny beer or Molson beer but consumed it anyway at need. I'm pleased to say I've had MGA and GCA several times in recent years, still like them. That plus the 300 brings me up to 1981 well enough.

Next post will answer some of Julies' questions.
Born Again Heathen
Hostling dragons is similar to hostling horses, but ya need a bigger shovel, oh, and bigger nose plugs. Don't forget the nose plugs!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:For the record, my husband and I pranked my beer-loving uncle with a bottle of the Ghost Face Killah a month ago. It went brilliantly. :)
Did he live long enough afterwards to revise his will? :twisted:
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:
Julie wrote:For the record, my husband and I pranked my beer-loving uncle with a bottle of the Ghost Face Killah a month ago. It went brilliantly. :)
Did he live long enough afterwards to revise his will? :twisted:
LOL...actually he only took about 4 sips out of the bottle and refused to drink any more. His facial expressions during and after those 4 sips were priceless though! For what it's worth, my hubby decided to buy an extra bottle to drink along with my uncle (a kind of "you aren't suffering alone" gesture), and he said that the beer isn't so bad when you drink it knowing what to expect. It's still hot, but it's definitely bearable...or maybe this year's stock isn't as hot as last year's. :) Either way, it was a wonderful experience, and I was totally willing to fall off the "favorite niece" list for the sake of humor. :P
"Just open your eyes
toadslayer

Post by toadslayer »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Bein' a Texan
I know there were more words but that's what I saw. I'm originally from Houston. What are you feelings on Shiner Bach?
Julie

Post by Julie »

toadslayer wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Bein' a Texan
I know there were more words but that's what I saw. I'm originally from Houston. What are you feelings on Shiner Bach?
There are loads of Texans on these boards apparently. :) And I'll answer even though you weren't asking me. :P

I'm a fan of Shiner Bock. It's not the first beer I'll pick, but it's pretty tasty (and one of my friends introduced me to Shiner Bock with a squeeze of lime, which is also pretty good). I'm more a fan of some of the other beers from Shiner. I like Shiner's Black, Kosmos (limited availability), and Holiday Cheer (seasonal obviously) a whole lot more than their Bock. :) Their Blonde and Premium beers are pretty good too.
"Just open your eyes