Six Special Women 2013-06-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Julie

Re: Six Special Women 2013-06-28

Post by Julie »

Sidhekin wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:If you look at the Lost Dolls illustration, one of the dolls even has feathers.
Ooh, neat!

Any identifying features on the others? I cannot quite make out anything other than possibly bees on #3, and I'm not sure which one that would identify ... (honey?)
Definitely neat! :D I am having trouble picking out which one is Kath though...I mean, none of them are naked...and that would be her identifier, right? :P (I do like Grantwhy's idea for the bee one, but I'm not sure...maybe the Bees actually represent sweetness/honey and the letter B...which would make that one either Brandi or Bud? :? )

Also, Atsali's hair is just wild! :) I both love and hate it...it's very bird-crest-like though, so it seems exceptionally appropriate. :D Now we just have to see how Kat & Lily handle the info that was just dumped into their laps about their relationship. Fun times to come!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Maybe the nu gui knew about the prophecy and when she found out that six mothers were going to have quads she had them banished to a wasteland. Left to die. It might also explain why Bud wanted to keep Kath and 'Sali a secret, and hidden from her when they defeated her.

just a thought.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I do believe that we don't have to worry about Atsali having the computer in her head. They seem very comfortable together. She may have a bright future as a librarian, or at least a research assitant to a certain huggy Gorgon.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Not to be a buzzkiller, but doesn't traditional thought place Vampires above succubi in the mythological hierarchy?

All that aside I love that whole "Wait, what. . ." thing going on between the vampire and the spider lady. Surprise, you are related!

I am really starting to have empathy for the fifth dimensional being from Men in Black III: "Oooo, now this is my favorite part. ."
:lol: :lol: :lol: . .
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

zachariah wrote:The story takes a sharp left turn across traffic into the outer limits lane.

Lily looks like Kathy's mom, this does not mean she is. Probably an aunt, or a cousin.
The babies had nothing to do with defeating the Nu Gui, who is now a succubus. Sorry but I like Drusilla a lot better than this one.
It was the six women who would defeat it.
Brandi's title will now change from the Chess Master to the Mess Master.
The library still doesn't have the data it wants as it is all in Sali's head. No problem as there is a lot of spare room in there.
There is no spider to sit down beside her.

Now what part did the two vamps actually play in this. Apparently their only purpose was to grab th crystal buffer and stuff it into McBrides storage compartment. They should complain if that is all they did. Monica could have done it much better than McBride did.

The big question is how much of this is misdirection? We know every one lies or hides the truth here. So what proof is there that Sali is speaking it fromthe computer files in er ead?
I detect a certain hooved and horned beastie here for some reason. Lilli and Suzie's part in this seems to be to 'nudge' Kath and Atsali in the right direction. Think about it... They show up and all Kath can think of is ditching them... taking to the star gate to try and stay one step ahead of them.

I do have to say though that there are a lot of loose ends to tie up here... namely the MiB kids (the helicopter crews and others that disappeared from mesa verde) and the General and his party that witnessed he Mapimi Meltdown (that's what the lame stream media will probably be calling it in the news... film at 11.).

Little Miss Glichrist,
Sat in her office,
Studying the pot made of clay.
Along came a Vampire,
and sat down beside her,
and said:
"So, what's on the pot, Kath?"

(And of course scared the livin' bejeepers outta Kath in the process!)

EDIT: The urge to quote Andrew Dice Clay was way too great here... but I was a good girl and kept it clean... :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Grantwhy wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:If you look at the Lost Dolls illustration, one of the dolls even has feathers.
Ooh, neat!

Any identifying features on the others? I cannot quite make out anything other than possibly bees on #3, and I'm not sure which one that would identify ... (honey?)
Well, if the six dolls reference our Secrets Six (and not the six mothers),

my guess is the bees doll is Katherine.

Six sides to the hexadecimal honeycomb and the seven bees* could be the six babies + the one they became?

* yes I do see the eighth bee but .... um .... Look!, what that over THERE?

[end post]
Then there was the re-directing of Bud to the crystal chamber. When her form first appeared it was composed of hexagonal units.
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/yaxchilan-detour/
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Is anyone else thinking "That was all too easy?"

C'mon... nobody ever gets the monster on the first try.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Julie wrote:I am having trouble picking out which one is Kath though...I mean, none of them are naked...and that would be her identifier, right? :P
Wasn't that Bud? ;-)

I have been pondering the bees all day ... but the best I can come up with is a reference to "organized", "industrious", "sweet" Brandi, and it doesn't quite convince me. :)

I could make a stronger case for bees being associated with Monica: Symbolizing immortality and reincarnation (though all six have some connection with that, none is so overt as Monica's), and symbolizing royalty (Monica has been called both "princess" and "queen"). But for once, Monica is not in the play.

And I've been pondering the labrys and the mead ... and getting nowhere.

Meh. I yield.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

DilyV wrote:I do have to say though that there are a lot of loose ends to tie up here... namely the MiB kids (the helicopter crews and others that disappeared from mesa verde).
Right. And who/what was she talking about here? http://wapsisquare.com/comic/a-mortal-descendant/ I thought it was Kath, but it seems SDO was trying to kill her and thought she had. Why would she try to kill her creation, unless that wasn't who she was referring to. For that matter why was Kath created in the first place? And by who? Bud? That whole thing is still confusing and open ended.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

For my own part there are are still more questions and loose ends hanging than fake cobwebs in a high school haunted house.

Why the sudden change in Dr. Gilchrist's attitude and demeanor? Growth is one thing, this was multiple personality switching. Was that what it was supposed to mean? Six souls finally working as one like Tina's demon collective?

And how did she become a viable baby without a living mother and womb that's still alive for the military to find in a sealed room opened by a missile explosion in the middle of no where?

Then there's the Vampire disconnection. Just how is our 5000 year old vampire connected to those lost girls in the desert and how are they connected to the Anasazi? The doll's timeline and theirs doesn't seem to match and the whole situation still seems very much up in the air.

There's more, but these are a start.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:
Dave wrote:So... six legs of the spider, six children from six special women combine to create Katherine to defeat the evil "baby".

And Brandi somehow out-chessmastered the Chessmaster.
Interesting spider if it only has six legs, i must say.
Reminds me of a fantasy story, where the King has problem with "higher math"--he doesn't recognize that his seven-rayed magic gem was replaced by one with only six rays...
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

nerf-dweller wrote:Gah. Paul did it again. Not only did he pull the rug out from under us, He replaced with another rug. Bravo, Paul. Bravo.
As in the Addams Family Values movie--at 3:58 and 4:16?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Timotheus wrote:For my own part there are are still more questions and loose ends hanging than fake cobwebs in a high school haunted house.

Why the sudden change in Dr. Gilchrist's attitude and demeanor? Growth is one thing, this was multiple personality switching. Was that what it was supposed to mean? Six souls finally working as one like Tina's demon collective?

And how did she become a viable baby without a living mother and womb that's still alive for the military to find in a sealed room opened by a missile explosion in the middle of no where?

Then there's the Vampire disconnection. Just how is our 5000 year old vampire connected to those lost girls in the desert and how are they connected to the Anasazi? The doll's timeline and theirs doesn't seem to match and the whole situation still seems very much up in the air.

There's more, but these are a start.
Lily as we know was dumped in the middle of nowhere and forgotten, becoming a vampire in the process... Lily was one of the mothers pregnant with quads that when being separated out into the storage crystals saw the fourth of each set shunted into ONE crystal... while the other three in each set and supposedly the mothers received their own crystal. We now know that at least in Lily's case, that's not true. The babies might have gotten shunted into their own crystal, but of the mothers, we know that at least Lily wasn't... and got dumped in the middle of nowhere out near Mesa Verde. I'd say its a good bet the other five with her were the other five mothers. Kath was the child borne of the combined essences of the six 'fourths' that inhabited the one crystal. How that came to fruition I have no idea... one would think that a child would need a mother's womb to gestate. The story had it that the missile crashed into the complex and the baby who is now Katherine Gilchrist was found all alone in the complex. I'd like to know who raised her once she was found and if they knew the weirdness surrounding her existence. Sadly, I would imagine that the pottery that Atsali found is crushed to a million pieces at the bottom of the pit in the mesa verde complex that collapsed.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

I'm not convinced Pratt & Kath are related in any literal sense; Atsali said Pratt is "kind of like" Kaths mom, not "is" Kaths mom.
zachariah wrote:Now what part did the two vamps actually play in this. Apparently their only purpose was to grab th crystal buffer and stuff it into McBrides storage compartment. They should complain if that is all they did. Monica could have done it much better than McBride did.
That may have been McBride's only purpose, maybe not (I'll get back to this point in a moment). Pratt, however was essential to this mission: She's one of the last two living (so to speak) Anasazi, and as such is one of two people in the entire world who could activate the stargates. She needed to see the spider crystal, recognize it for what it was, and transport it to Mesa Verde for use.
Back to McBride: She seems to be Pratt's best - maybe only - friend, besides being her student in vampiric ways. McBride is the only one who can talk Pratt down when she's upset - an event bound to happen in these circumstances. I'd say she's at least as essential as Pratt is.
meisdadoo wrote:Not to be a buzzkiller, but doesn't traditional thought place Vampires above succubi in the mythological hierarchy?
Maybe so, but this is Paul's universe. In case you haven't noticed, the mythology here is pretty far from "traditional." ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Okay, time for the Updated Basic Summary storyline:

Kath wanted to try to find some more information that might help Monica find out more about her "Jaguar Girl" background. She stumbled on the whole story about the "Anasazi Dolls", decided to go to the library to do research - and that was where she met Atsali. (That is the correct spelling, by the way.)

Atsali takes Kath on a joyride through the southwestern US, where they discover that carving in the side of a pit. Two characters that Pablo introduced prior - "vampire girls", seemingly put out for no other reason than to provide fanservice - turn out to be "assistants" for Kath, working for the mythical MIB. Unfortunately, their "assistance" is seen as a negative for Kath - as we learn from a brief flashback involving helicopters and Warthogs along the Dead Sea. Kath realizes that the carving hides a "stargate" - which puts the intrepid pair somewhere in the middle of the Yucatan.

Meanwhile, we get a bit of background on our "Senior Director Oduya" - and it becomes evident that she's apparently either possessed or has MPD. (We already know, by the way, that Brandi has been given the label "The Chessmaster" by one of the vampire girls.) Kath and Atsali stumble upon a storage facility at a strange Bermuda Triangle-like location known as Mapimi, and find out that Brandi/Oduya essentially set it up where an entire civilization (the Etehtians) would be put in permanent "stasis".

Everything seems to be working - but a glitch develops: a set of quadruplets cause a "buffer overrun", and six of the children get placed in one storage crystal. Unfortunately, just as we find this out, Atsali decides to check out an "open slot" in the storage area - and ends up shorting out the entire system, while downloading the collective memories of the entire civilization into her (already somewhat addled) brain. This causes some problems - namely, the entire facility is about to go into self-destruct mode.

Just then, Bud appears, somewhat surprised that she was at the facility at Mapimi. That is when Atsali comes to the realization that Kath is the combination of all six of the Anasazi children in one person. Unfortunately, that's when the whole facility decides to go kablooey. Bud manages to protect the pair, discharge any remaining radiation and then brief them on what she's discovered: Brandi is possessed by an evil spirit - the spirit of the little girl who had died in her hands many thousands of years ago, before she became a golem.

Meanwhile, Senior Director Oduya has been "covering up" the little "accident" at Mapimi, first with the respective governments, and now with the two Vampire Girls. Bud shows up - and we know (but Brandi/Oduya doesn't) that she's intent on putting a monkey wrench in the possessing spirit's plans. She does so by doing the Lanthian Shell Game: She tells SDO that she (Brandi) had a "safety code" in place: Termination Orders. With Extreme Prejudice. This throws Brandi into Freeze-up mode - and gives Bud a chance to do a little "interrogation" of Suzi. She not only discovers an unused data crystal, but she also gets the lowdown on what McBride knows.

With typical Bud theatrics, she begins to threaten Lily - even as SDO tries to figure out if "Miss Goodie-Goodie" ever did any sabotaging of "her" plans. Meanwhile, Atsali plugs the crystal into a slot, then Kath activates it - just as Bud grabs Lily by the arm. SDO suddenly realizes the only thing "Brandi" ever put near gates were unused data crystals - just as Bud "activates" the stargate right behind her with Lily's hand. "Kiss the Naughty Succubus Bye-bye!"

We are suddenly treated to a light show as said succubus (the Nu Gui) is ripped away from Brandi - and into the stargate. Bud states the obvious: "We're running a cleansing program... There was some contamination from the data crystals." (Just don't look behind you, 'kay?) Our vamp pair are Scooby-scared even as Bud poits out Brandi after saying "The four of you know just what to do." The full aspect of the succubus comes to light - sans heart - as "the other two" shut down the stargate. Suddenly, the succubus dissipates - until it briefly reverts to the image of the "spooky baby" that Kath saw in her first research - before completely disappearing in a "thup".

Memories start coming back for Lily - she realizes she knew Brandi "before" the Nu Gui/Succubus had "infiltrated" her. Kath and Atsali emerge from elsewhere in the complex; Atsali realizes that Lily was "kind of like your mom." More like "one of six." This gets a "what?" from both Lily AND Kath; Atsali's "computer brain" processes everything - the vase was a prophecy! Six special women (Kath, Atsali, Lily, Suzi, Bud and Brandi) would defeat an evil, born from the death of an innocent - the baby who was smashed by the Lanthian priests at Brandi's daycare.

And now, all we need is the denouement and epilogue to the story.

You know, Pablo, this would make one kick-ass, stand-alone movie.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

I can't image how Kath has to feel founding out her whole life to be a lie, she's a chimera of 6 unrelated eggs and one of her bio mothers is a vamp...

I don't think she's ever going to come out ofr her room again. lol

honestly the wapsi square girls should start a support group.
pcj70

Post by pcj70 »

scantrontb wrote:
pcj70 wrote:I think knowing that you are related, and remembering some one, are different things. Also, I think although Atsali had to be forgotten, to become a vampire - nothing about being later being found (remembered or remembering) has been stated.

nah, Atsali is the Siren/computer combo Lily is the one that died alone and forgotten, turning into a vampire
oops, my bad!
Dave

Post by Dave »

dex drako wrote:I can't image how Kath has to feel founding out her whole life to be a lie, she's a chimera of 6 unrelated eggs and one of her bio mothers is a vamp...
I think she'll feel puzzled and disappointed.

All this adventure, danger, pain and injury, excitement, fear, trauma, and revelation ...

... and she's still no closer to understanding why it is that she can understand the comments made by her pet fish.

It just isn't fair.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

jwhouk wrote:the baby who was smashed by the Lanthian priests at Brandi's daycare.
Actually, Brandi did the smashing.

Beyond that (and the "Etehtians" typo) I'm with you: The interpretations and extrapolations you do, are the ones I'm (tentatively) doing. Nice summary.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

The problems develop when you start breaking things down into what we know for certain,
what we've been told by someone but do they know it for certain (is it a misdirection or could they be wrong),
what has been implied by the story but has not actually been shown, stated , or confirmed,
what someone in the story has suggested but then never expanded on or confirmed,
and what is based on a possible hint or conjecture from something in the story but has not been positively included as part of the plot.

When you start going back over certain sections of this arc using this criteria an awful lot of it is still very iffy.
What is the source of the Nu Ghi?
How did Katherine get to be Katherine?
How was Brandi being manipulated, and why?
What other forces were involved? What REALLY happened during that Anasazi fire drill?
Who were the other girls with Lilly and what's their story?
And lots more elements that all have to link together eventually.
Someone needs to channel Hercule Poirot.
Last edited by Timotheus on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?