All Heck Is Breaking Loose 2013-06-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: All Heck Is Breaking Loose 2013-06-26

Post by DilyV »

Julie wrote:Well...I guess that's that. :shock: It just seems all too easy...I mean, no one was stabbed in the head by one of their best friends...and there wasn't any poit-tattoo-removal...or endless deaths of "self" witnessed in a backwards flowing space-outside-of-time. :P Now I just want to know what the heck happened and where "Thup" has gone (thank you Dily V for naming it)...and will they be able to communicate with it so we can get a better understanding of what's been happening? Or is Bud just going to explain it all over a cuppa in the Library since she seemed to be the most aware and had Demon contacts to help her out?

THANK GOD IT'S NOT FRIDAY!!! :P
Thup got sucked into the spider crystal... which was in reality a data storage buffer crystal. If I were Bud, I'd have to think about compressing it into another of her unnamed gems... she could name it Nuguiite or something... PHENOMINAL COSMIC POWAHHHHH!!!! Itty bitty living space!

Orrrrr....

Bud could send the Nu Gui on a vacation... to the sun.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:Bud could send the Nu Gui on a vacation... to the sun.
I wonder. Bud said that a Nu Gui comes from the death of an innocent... in this case, the child Brandi accidentally killed. She didn't actually say that the Nu Gui is the innocent, though.

Is the Nu Gui the child's ghost itself ("spoiled" as it were) with its innocence corrupted? Or, is the Nu Gui something separate from the innocent child's ghost?

In either case... is there any hope for the innocent one? Any chance of a rescue or healing? We may not have come to near the end of this story-thread yet!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:Is the Nu Gui the child's ghost itself ("spoiled" as it were) with its innocence corrupted? Or, is the Nu Gui something separate from the innocent child's ghost?

In either case... is there any hope for the innocent one? Any chance of a rescue or healing? We may not have come to near the end of this story-thread yet!
Indeed! How do you cultivate something other than fury from a being whose existence IS fury?

It's a bit like the "Coexist" types trying to understand a death cult whose entire purpose is to kill others.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:
Dave wrote:Is the Nu Gui the child's ghost itself ("spoiled" as it were) with its innocence corrupted? Or, is the Nu Gui something separate from the innocent child's ghost?

Indeed! How do you cultivate something other than fury from a being whose existence IS fury?
Well, that's the question, isn't it? Perhaps it's possible, perhaps it's far too late to even try. We don't yet know enough about the Wapsiverse Nu Gui to be able to tell. The innocent's soul may very well have been corrupted far beyond help... or perhaps it's still there, "encysted" within a shell of demonic fury and rage, and there might be some means of cleansing it.

'Course, then you'd need some place for the cleansed soul to go. You'd need a vessel. I wonder if we know anybody who could use a soul to spackle her together?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:
kingklash wrote: "You keep outta this! He doesn't have to shoot you now!"
"Well, look what we have here! Y'know, there might just be a market for bottled duck!"
As opposed to jugged hare?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Look up the recipe for 'jugged hare' - it's why it's not already available at WalMart.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Is the NG really in the spider crystal? What we just saw seems to me to be her being put into a kachina doll, then transported somewhere. Maybe to join the other 6 dolls once again? There is still the business of those dolls. We are assuming six of the dolls represent Kath, but that may not be the case either. Orson Miller found 7 dolls. One of those dolls could not have been a contained NG since she was still "in" Brandi at that time. It could be that the 7th "doll" was empty, and was just now used to bottle up NG.

My point is, if the doll was used for caging NG just now, what do the other 6 contain? They must have contained something disturbing since they plagued Miller's life with tragedy. This means they were more than just representations of something else. To me, that they contained something seems to have been confirmed by the NG bottling we just witnessed. Miller left one doll behind when his stuff was found. Was this the doll just used to contain NG? Again, what did/do the others contain? At least some of them.

EDIT: Ah, looking closer at the comic in question (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/odd-symbols/) and others, it appears the baby shaped one was the doll Miller left behind. The other kachina dolls seem to be of adult human female figures. So it is likely it is the one just used for NG.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

KnightDelight wrote:Is the NG really in the spider crystal? What we just saw seems to me to be her being put into a kachina doll, then transported somewhere. Maybe to join the other 6 dolls once again? There is still the business of those dolls. We are assuming six of the dolls represent Kath, but that may not be the case either. Orson Miller found 7 dolls. One of those dolls could not have been a contained NG since she was still "in" Brandi at that time. It could be that the 7th "doll" was empty, and was just now used to bottle up NG.

My point is, if the doll was used for caging NG just now, what do the other 6 contain? They must have contained something disturbing since they plagued Miller's life with tragedy. This means they were more than just representations of something else. To me, that they contained something seems to have been confirmed by the NG bottling we just witnessed. Miller left one doll behind when his stuff was found. Was this the doll just used to contain NG? Again, what did/do the others contain? At least some of them.

EDIT: Ah, looking closer at the comic in question (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/odd-symbols/) and others, it appears the baby shaped one was the doll Miller left behind. The other kachina dolls seem to be of adult human female figures. So it is likely it is the one just used for NG.
It's always possible the 6 other dolls were the mothers who lost one of their babies that became Kathy. They might even already be in the crystal having been put in there to keep them from causing problems. The fact Kathy was found as a baby already born means gestation had to have been completed somehow as they were stored as fetuses in the crystals. No growth would be possible in the crystal. So how did she complete growth to be born unless there was a mother to carry it to term. Since she is a composite maybe they needed a composite mother as well? This is just speculation of course.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Any bets as to whether Kath and Atsali will ever recover the vase (or vases) which had the kachina-and-spider decorations? We haven't seen this particular pottery in a while... it has been evasive.
Leak

Post by Leak »

Well, that deescalated quickly...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:Any bets as to whether Kath and Atsali will ever recover the vase (or vases) which had the kachina-and-spider decorations? We haven't seen this particular pottery in a while... it has been evasive.
hsss
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

zachariah wrote: It's always possible the 6 other dolls were the mothers who lost one of their babies that became Kathy. They might even already be in the crystal having been put in there to keep them from causing problems. The fact Kathy was found as a baby already born means gestation had to have been completed somehow as they were stored as fetuses in the crystals. No growth would be possible in the crystal. So how did she complete growth to be born unless there was a mother to carry it to term. Since she is a composite maybe they needed a composite mother as well? This is just speculation of course.
I thought about that; the dolls containing the mothers. There are some timeline difficulties with that since Kath is in her 40s and Miller found them just 37 years ago. At least some of them must have contained something/someone at that time. Your theory about needing a composite female to gestate a composite fetus is interesting though. We were told the reconstituting process didn't work, but that may not be entirely true. It could be you can transfer the occupant of one crystal into another. Even several into just one crystal. SDO would be heartless enough to do that. It wouldn't technically kill them. Then reviving the composite (somehow) to bring the baby to birth. Thing is, the dolls must have contained something when Miller got them so they would have been separated again into them somehow. Or the composite placed into one of them. But if that's so, why have 6? So many loose ends.

I'm beginning to wonder if the "banshee" in the artifact power module container Bud found in the sub was a real banshee imprisoned therein for her crimes and not some sort of illusion to keep the unworthy away.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote: Well, that's the question, isn't it? Perhaps it's possible, perhaps it's far too late to even try. We don't yet know enough about the Wapsiverse Nu Gui to be able to tell. The innocent's soul may very well have been corrupted far beyond help... or perhaps it's still there, "encysted" within a shell of demonic fury and rage, and there might be some means of cleansing it.

'Course, then you'd need some place for the cleansed soul to go. You'd need a vessel. I wonder if we know anybody who could use a soul to spackle her together?
The problem is, she then might not be a very good coffee maker.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Then again maybe the death of an innocent spoke of the death of Brandi's innocence... she was an innocent.... and she was killed as well...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
PartTimeRaccoon

Post by PartTimeRaccoon »

KnightDelight wrote:Is the NG really in the spider crystal? What we just saw seems to me to be her being put into a kachina doll, then transported somewhere. Maybe to join the other 6 dolls once again? There is still the business of those dolls. We are assuming six of the dolls represent Kath, but that may not be the case either. Orson Miller found 7 dolls. One of those dolls could not have been a contained NG since she was still "in" Brandi at that time. It could be that the 7th "doll" was empty, and was just now used to bottle up NG.
I read it differently. To me, it looks like NG was squeezed or reduced into this baby form on her way into the spider crystal. The ancestor baby we see in panel 4 is not a Kachina doll, but the still-glowing NG spirit in her true form after she lost the power to look scary.

With that in mind, let me offer an alternate interpretation. Maybe the Kachina dolls (and some pottery designs) were used by ancient Anasazi to tell a story to their children--a story that prophesizes the events we've just seen. The spooky child doll represents the Nü Gui, The spider is just the Star Gate of the Spider Motif, and the 6 adults are Bud, Brandi, Pratt, McBride, Kath, and Atsali.

It's just a thought. NG was a baby of the ancestors of the Anasazi, and she was fed to the spider by 6 adults. We know that at least two power players take prophesies seriously. Maybe Etheitians had the ability to foretell the future.
as363

Post by as363 »

Muss Kate certainly seems to have things in hand - background coming thru ??
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

The last 2 frames have been giving me a flash of memory of the film The Witches of Eastwick when Jack Nicholson's character was removed from the play-field by the girls.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

The spider jar was smashed when the underground building caved in. It didn't fit in the niche with a siren.
http://wapsisquare.com/comics/2013-02-25-which-way.jpg
http://wapsisquare.com/comics/2013-02-2 ... -death.jpg

Consider that a physical manifestation of a raw emotion may not have an intellectual component and needs to attach itself to a host being in order to function rationally. When separated from its host, it reverts to its natural state, such as pure destructive rage.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

"I remember when you were just a chess program! You started small, you'll end small, mark my words!"
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

kingklash wrote:"I remember when you were just a chess program! You started small, you'll end small, mark my words!"

Talk about going retro for a quote. The sons of Flynn will find you for your donation.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.